Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Would definitely have been an upgrade on either of Young or Carney on Saturday.

I'm not sure there's have been much difference. He did a lot for us in the Championship, and I like the guy, but he put in some right stinkers in the PL, and I think is benefitting from his reputation improving the longer he spent out of the team.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 22:39, useless said:

He's probably already got a move lined up, but apparently Jokanović has hinted that if Sheffield United don't bring in new players like he was promised he will quit, so wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move for him.

He has been a very good signing for us, vital in our promotion and played his part in us staying up in our first season back in the Premier League.

Edited by useless

Conor is a model pro! Wants to play and he won’t here. Hopefully he’ll get on well and SU! 
He’s a huge part of why we’re playing Premiership football right now. And for that I thank him. 

• Like 1

Sheffield United appear to really be sturggling at the moment, and one thing you are guaranteed with Conor in the championship is goals and assists. Its a good move for both parties and I do think he can bring that experience and know how to a championship team, settling them down a bit and being the difference between getting 3 points or 1 in some games. Not sure they will be getting promoted this year, but there is the chance via playoffs i suppose. We kicked into life with that 10 game winning run a few years ago, so its always possible. Good luck Conor!

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Shame we couldn't find a club to buy him because of his wages. A loan is next best thing as long as it covers those wages.

He did good for us and I'll have fond memories of him.

That's the problem, nobody has the money to take players like that. 

Regarding wages, if they pay 50% of his wages we should be happy. Brugge allegedly only took on 20% of Wesley's wages.

53 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Another loan? Was hoping someone would buy him as he has no future with us and rather cash in them letting him go on a free once his contract is up

No chance a Championship team will be able to buy him and pay his wages. He's got to be on 30-40k?

He's been one of the best signings we've made in recent years though - £3m was it? Think of the money wasted on utter dross in the last 15 years, and we've had an absolute bargain with Hourihane.

He's a very good footballer, but just isnt physically up to this level - he was anonymous in some of the games he played in that season after promotion because players just out-ran or out-muscled him. When he got time on the ball, he made things happen, but you dont get that at this level unless you're powerful enough to dart into that space or hold someone off. If you could combine him with McGinn, you'd have an incredible player. I think he'd be a decent 10 if you had two players behind him who could do his running. 

He'll do well at Sheffield United, no doubt. Hopefully he gets them into/near the top 6 and they decide to take him permanently. I want him to be loved and appreciated as much as he is by most of our fans

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Would definitely have been an upgrade on either of Young or Carney on Saturday.

Let's hope we have someone better coming in.

Hourihane has never been a PL standard midfielder. The one campaign he played a huge part in we survived relegation by a point. 

The man has a wand of a left foot but offers nothing else. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Hourihane has never been a PL standard midfielder. The one campaign he played a huge part in we survived relegation by a point. 

The man has a wand of a left foot but offers nothing else. 

And that wand is still more than what Young and Carney showed at centre mid. I thought they were both ghosting. Carney had some decent touches that's about it. 

Edited by villalad21

Best of luck Conor. Always once of my favourite players since signing. I hope he plays plenty for Sheffield United this season, which I expect he will. Scoring and assist Ming plenty of goals. UTV.

Edited by Killeen30

Â