Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

People do realise when we loan players out we get a loan fee. We still pay the players wages and the fee means we either make a net profit on that loan or a net loss when wages are accounted for.

We paid a loan fee for Barkley, we are paying a loan fee for Axel. Chelsea and United still pay their wages.

So a loan or a sale will depend more on if the club he goes to wants a deal longer than one season or not. Conor would probably like a top championship club and a 3 year contract instead of a loan.

Also these types of deals are always left late in the window and I think the loan window to lower leagues runs past the end of the transfer window.

54 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

People do realise when we loan players out we get a loan fee. We still pay the players wages and the fee means we either make a net profit on that loan or a net loss when wages are accounted for.

Woah. There’s no set way of doing it. What you’ve said is an extremely rare occurrence. Loans to lower div teams typically see that team pay some or all of their wages, but no fee.  Loans between prem clubs typically see a loan fee and a contribution towards their wages, (which could be all of them, or a percentage).

With Conor, it’ll likely be “pay some of his wages”. Championship teams have no money.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Woah. There’s no set way of doing it. What you’ve said is an extremely rare occurrence. Loans to lower div teams typically see that team pay some or all of their wages, but no fee.  Loans between prem clubs typically see a loan fee and a contribution towards their wages, (which could be all of them, or a percentage).

With Conor, it’ll likely be “pay some of his wages”. Championship teams have no money.

You're agreeing with me though. If the fees paid are less than, equal to or more than the players wages means if we are net negative flat or positive. The mechanics are we pay players under contract to us even if out on loan and the other club pays us. If we match the cash flows exactly then we're net flat.

For example, the £5m we are paying to Man United for Axel on a season long loan is inclusive of his wages. We have him on loan for 35 weeks which equates to £143k per week. I'd say he's likely on £75k per week at United meaning half is on wages and half is a fee. 

When we send younger players to lower leagues we are gaining in that they are getting experience. When established players are loaned (like Conor) both teams have a set expectation of the level of performance and that's taken into account. Still we could be net negative positive of flat in Conor in a loan deal. I would imagine a season long loan with his contract expiring next summer we'd want to make a profit of some description, be it a sale for 500k or a loan.

1 minute ago, zab6359 said:

On the bench today which was interesting, obviously DS sees some sort of role for Connor in the team.

Only thing I can think is with grealish and Terry both gone , Connor offers experience around the squad , has always been quite vocal in his time in a villa jersey

Just now, pete101 said:

Only thing I can think is with grealish and Terry both gone , Connor offers experience around the squad , has always been quite vocal in his time in a villa jersey

yeah quite vocal telling people that our best players need to move on as the club isnt big enough for them.

Im grateful for his input to get us promoted etc, but tbh i hope we offload him this window.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Or it's just because squad is very light atm because of injuries

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zab6359 said:

On the bench today which was interesting, obviously DS sees some sort of role for Connor in the team.

corner flag.

sorry, just kidding.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m guessing he’s on a decent wage so probably struggling to find a club. I reckon there will be a late loan deal.  Is this the last year of his contract?

i think so yes (also the last year for Hause).

Edited by MaVilla

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hause will most likely get another one. He seems happy being 3/4 choice. 

ye i hope so, i like hause.

Will be happy to see Hourihane off the books tho.

• Like 2

On 22/08/2021 at 12:31, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m guessing he’s on a decent wage so probably struggling to find a club. I reckon there will be a late loan deal.  Is this the last year of his contract?

I have no issues with him sticking around but , Ramsey, Chukwemeka and Sanson are ahead of him now 2 kids and a new guy, let alone the other 3 , knowing the type of player he is Connor will want to play regularly so I can’t see him not going on loan.

On 20/08/2021 at 08:28, CVByrne said:

You're agreeing with me though. If the fees paid are less than, equal to or more than the players wages means if we are net negative flat or positive. The mechanics are we pay players under contract to us even if out on loan and the other club pays us. If we match the cash flows exactly then we're net flat.

For example, the £5m we are paying to Man United for Axel on a season long loan is inclusive of his wages. We have him on loan for 35 weeks which equates to £143k per week. I'd say he's likely on £75k per week at United meaning half is on wages and half is a fee. 

When we send younger players to lower leagues we are gaining in that they are getting experience. When established players are loaned (like Conor) both teams have a set expectation of the level of performance and that's taken into account. Still we could be net negative positive of flat in Conor in a loan deal. I would imagine a season long loan with his contract expiring next summer we'd want to make a profit of some description, be it a sale for 500k or a loan.

Source or vibes?

Â