Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

6 hours ago, Cizzler said:

It was during a podcast with the Irish newspaper, The Southern Star.

I remember an interview after a game, possible around the playoff when we were in the championship the year we went up too.

1 minute ago, Killeen30 said:

Jack unfortunately had out grown us. Jack is a level or two above us, just like Hourihane is a level or two below us. 

funny how supporters aren’t calling for us to keep Hourihane out of loyalty.

Yeah mate, absolutely mental that we don't want to keep a player who isn't good enough for us. Mental

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

Yeah mate, absolutely mental that we don't want to keep a player who isn't good enough for us. Mental

I know, yet we turn on players who want to move on to better themselves. Mental mate, mental.

43 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

I know, yet we turn on players who want to move on to better themselves. Mental mate, mental.

What's he done to deserve our loyalty? He rarely, if ever, busts a gut for the team. Doesn't like getting his shorts dirty. He scored a few goals, though. Can leave without fanfare or disdain - just a big meh, like his villa career.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

What's he done to deserve our loyalty? He rarely, if ever, busts a gut for the team. Doesn't like getting his shorts dirty. He scored a few goals, though. Can leave without fanfare or disdain - just a big meh, like his villa career.

It’s a two way street, loyalty. Clubs and players.

For what we paid for him he’s been a brilliant signing too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Are we talking about AEG here 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Killeen30 said:

It’s a two way street, loyalty. Clubs and players.

For what we paid for him he’s been a brilliant signing too.

He has some Hollywood momente for sure. Agree we should send him off ane wish him well. He’s more than good enough to start in the Championship. Good servant to Villa.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Players get outgrown by clubs that are in the up all the time. I wish Conor all the best and hope that he has success at his next club but comparing his situation to Jack is a false equivalency. You're saying that Conor's scenario is the inverse of a player who has:

1. Been with the club since he was 6

2. Is the captain of the team and beloved by fans.

3. Arguable bought them up from the Championship to the potential brink of European football (and a cup final)

4.  His great great grandad lifted the FA Cup with Villa.

That right there is Roy of the Rovers shit. More story than Totti. I thought Jack would stay not just because of loyalty but also the (understandable) lure of being a living God in the city for the rest of his natural life.

I wish Jack had stayed - not just because of his ability but because it would have meant something bigger to every fan of a club that isn't owned by a Petro state and every kid growing up dreaming of playing for his team.  I don't wish Jack any ill - he's just another footballer to me now - but I get why some fans would turn on him. Mostly because I think deep down a lot of us believe that if we were faced with the same choice, we would have stayed.

Conor's just a guy who did his job but just isn't up to the standard now required by the club. It's not the same at all.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

He has some Hollywood momente for sure. Agree we should send him off ane wish him well. He’s more than good enough to start in the Championship. Good servant to Villa.

Totally agree. He’s been great value for money in terms of what we needed at the time and the division we were competitive in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vancvillan said:

Players get outgrown by clubs that are in the up all the time. I wish Conor all the best and hope that he has success at his next club but comparing his situation to Jack is a false equivalency. You're saying that Conor's scenario is the inverse of a player who has:

1. Been with the club since he was 6

2. Is the captain of the team and beloved by fans.

3. Arguable bought them up from the Championship to the potential brink of European football (and a cup final)

4.  His great great grandad lifted the FA Cup with Villa.

That right there is Roy of the Rovers shit. More story than Totti. I thought Jack would stay not just because of loyalty but also the (understandable) lure of being a living God in the city for the rest of his natural life.

I wish Jack had stayed - not just because of his ability but because it would have meant something bigger to every fan of a club that isn't owned by a Petro state and every kid growing up dreaming of playing for his team.  I don't wish Jack any ill - he's just another footballer to me now - but I get why some fans would turn on him. Mostly because I think deep down a lot of us believe that if we were faced with the same choice, we would have stayed.

Conor's just a guy who did his job but just isn't up to the standard now required by the club. It's not the same at all.

I’m not directly comparing the two, because of course they are world apart. Loyalty is a two way street though. players get sold on all the time because they’re no longer wanted by clubs. So when a player moves on because they want to go on and progress their careers and win trophies then really looking at it sensibly what can we say? F*** yeah it hurts this week but that will pass. It’s football

I wish Jack had stay too mate, but he was never going to stay in my own personal opinion. He wants more than to be a god in Birmingham, his own city, as you say. That obviously wasn’t enough for him, and that’s his choice so fair enough. Jack likes the big lights and brand. That’s been apparent for some time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm not sure exactly where this narrative comes from but it's rubbish. No, he's not a hard tackling midfielder but that was never his role. It's like complaining Martinez doesn't score enough goals.

A few goals? 29 goals in 150 games. 1 in 5, for a midfielder. At PL level, 4 in 31 which still isn't shabby.

Important goals? Well the semi-final leveller was pretty damn vital. And a load of assists at crucial times.

Doesn't bust a gut for the team? Grealish punched in the head - Who is first there? Leeds debacle - Who is first there?

Any rumours of off-field antics? No. Considered by most an absolute hard-working professional? Yes. Not ever been happy to sit back and take the cash and never kicked up a fuss or slagged the club off.

He cost pennies and has been fantastic value. Not sure what some players have to do to be rated by fans and some become almost fashionable scapegoats for people's frustrations. He might not be at the standard we need any more, but he has done more than most to get us back in the PL and I'd struggle to think of many better midfielders we've had over the last 10 years odd.

Conor will go with my utmost respect and appreciation.

This deserved more than a like so quoted it and like it

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 01:29, Adman said:

Footballers want us to support them, sing their names, sell us their xxxx, pay their salaries, follow them on social media and then when they act like pr**ks we are supposed to accept its just a job to them and we should accept it.

No.  This sport and all the fame and fortune it brings them is emotive.  We invest our emotions into it along with our money and attention.  You can't expect one without the other.  We've just lost our captain who has traded on our emotions, earned vast sums of money, and left for our rivals and you want to publicly blow sunshine up his ass regarding his move?

Good one👍hope you're shipped out asap

The problem there is "act like pricks" 

He hasn't though has he? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Conor was a vital part in our return to the Premier League but sadly (for him) isn’t of the quality we need for our next phase of establishing ourselves as a top half team.

He’s made a few faux pas on social media but feel he’s a guy who speaks his mind at times. I don’t think he’s ever said anything controversial out of malice.

I hope he finds a new home either in the lower end of the premier league or a promotion pushing championship team and gets to play regularly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killeen30 said:

I’m not directly comparing the two, because of course they are world apart. Loyalty is a two way street though. players get sold on all the time because they’re no longer wanted by clubs. So when a player moves on because they want to go on and progress their careers and win trophies then really looking at it sensibly what can we say? F*** yeah it hurts this week but that will pass. It’s football

I don't think it's a matter of loyalty when you outgrow a player. Selling them on requires buy in from the player too, I'm sure Conor would rather we accepted a fair bid and let him go off and play football elsewhere than be 'loyal' and keep him til the end of the contract without getting a kick.

Not the smartest message from Conor with the drool, but it's just an emoji, let's not go mental about it. Been an excellent player for us and it's a shame to have him sitting idle. He should get the chance to go and bring another team up from the championship and have another go with them in the premier League. Good luck to him. 

Conor was great for us but he has a very specific skill set . Looking at it coldly he has  Championship level passing pressing tackling and movement but with an absolute wand of a left foot but only when it comes to freekicks or shooting. 

He would be worth £40  million if he had an overall game that more evenly matched his free kick ability . 

Its not Conors fault. I think he has been a fantastic pro who has played from League 2 upwards and he has never been a troublemaker. £2 or 3 mill we paid for him. What a fantastic servant for that kind of dough

• Like 1

Â