Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

11 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Two things to take from that video...

1) The second Norwich got relegated, we didn't need Conor anymore!! 😉

2) The editor needs to step away from the 'effects' button!

This x 1000. It was a bit much wasn’t it.

4 hours ago, striker said:

Don’t think Hourihane has had a fair crack of the whip at the Villa. Constantly being played in a holding role when he is a more attack minded midfielder. Might see more of that at Swansea? 

Yes, playing him as the holding midfielder in a 4-3-3 didn't make him any favours, he did it ok in the Championship but mainly because the standard is lower and we had such a good team that kept possession and scored many goals so he wasn't too exposed (Nottingham 5-5 the big exception where he was painfully exposed).

He is clearly best suited as box to box mf where he can come in the second wave and score his goals, for a PL mid table team or higher he is unfortunately not good enough neither defensively or in his general play. A midfield with other players who carry him he could do a job with his goals and set pieces. That is not us though. I imagine he could do well in Burnley for example. I'm a bit surprised he dropped down to the Championship and didn't go to a bottom PL team. Perhaps it's clever as he will probably be guaranteed to play before the Euros, but perhaps it just reflects his level - top class Championship player.

For me he will leave in highest regard, he has seemed to have a very good attitude, someone mentioned him as being one of the leaders in the team, he has played a key role in us being promoted and staying in the PL, for that he will always be a hero. Good luck to him and Swansea, I'm sure it is a perfect fit and that he will be a success there.    

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

Conor is as equally underrated as he is overrated by fans. Some think he’s good enough to start and some think he’s Championship at best. He’s probably somewhere in the middle. Scored some vital goals for us and we absolutely wouldn’t be here without him. A great championship player and a limited Premier league one for me.

Wish him all the best. Big fan of him and what’s he’s done. But if he won’t play for us (and he shouldn’t IMO) then best for all to move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Yes, playing him as the holding midfielder in a 4-3-3 didn't make him any favours, he did it ok in the Championship but mainly because the standard is lower and we had such a good team that kept possession and scored many goals so he wasn't too exposed (Nottingham 5-5 the big exception where he was painfully exposed).

He is clearly best suited as box to box mf where he can come in the second wave and score his goals, for a PL mid table team or higher he is unfortunately not good enough neither defensively or in his general play. A midfield with other players who carry him he could do a job with his goals and set pieces. That is not us though. I imagine he could do well in Burnley for example. I'm a bit surprised he dropped down to the Championship and didn't go to a bottom PL team. Perhaps it's clever as he will probably be guaranteed to play before the Euros, but perhaps it just reflects his level - top class Championship player.

For me he will leave in highest regard, he has seemed to have a very good attitude, someone mentioned him as being one of the leaders in the team, he has played a key role in us being promoted and staying in the PL, for that he will always be a hero. Good luck to him and Swansea, I'm sure it is a perfect fit and that he will be a success there.    

Suspects he want to play in the prem next season and didn't want to be relegated with whoever loaned him. If he can help push Swansea to promotion they might sign him next summer or if helps them get close another promoted team might take a risk on him. You have to think that even if your team is going through a rough patch conor can get you a goal or an assist though his dead balls. I think almost all of our goals after restart came from a set piece for instance. 

• Like 1

Really sad to see Conor leave, I'm not sure when his contract is up but I'd be surprised if he plays again for us.   

Really got alot of undeserved stick, for not being a certain type of midfielder.  

Imo he's been one of the most exciting players we've had for 10 years, certainly should be remembered fondly alongside many modern era players like Hitz, Milner or even Benteke.  

Without his goals i don't think we'd have made it back to the PL.  That moment at Villa Park when he scored vs Baggies will stay with me forever. Absolute relief, joy such a key defining moment.   The fact you knew it was in as soon as he hit it.  As a 35 year old, easily one of my top 5 moment ever at VP.

Thanks Conor and good luck. Actually looking forward to seeing him smashing a few in at that level again. 

• Like 4

not in the match squad, defo off then.

I hope we wait to confirm Sanson before we let him go though......last thing we need is to lose Hourihane to a loan and then the Sanson deal not to go through.....

Â