Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Had his limitations but he was a rare value for money signing in January 2017.

Given Swansea are top 2 currently I can see there being an agreement to sign in the deal or he'll fancy going there full time if they get promoted like Mings did with us so think we can get 4-5m for him end of season particularly if he scores a few goals. Good signing for them.

Time has passed here given he's hardly played since we went out of league cup.

I amazed aswell our covid outbreak can't have impacted much of the midfield if we're letting him go soon as he could've easily been involved tomorrow and certainly v Newcastle who he played pretty well against last season.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolutely no problem with him leaving, but just so much thanks for all he did in getting us back up. An incredible record of goals and assists from central midfield really, and I hope he thrives at Swansea.

This, really - I don't want to seem overly negative or ungrateful for his contribution to the club, which I appreciate I may have come across as being - it's just time to move on for both the club and player. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

This, really - I don't want to seem overly negative or ungrateful for his contribution to the club, which I appreciate I may have come across as being - it's just time to move on for both of the club and player. 

FWIW I completely agree with what you wrote on the last two pages (haven't been back any further than that!).

Decent if limited player who loves playing for the Villa almost as much as he loves playing football in general.

He's turning 30 soon so he's made the decision to get out and play as much as possible at the highest level he can, and you have to credit that.

If it turns out he's kicked his last ball for us, I wish him nothing but the best. Cheers Conor!

• Like 1

One of the best bits of Villa business in the last decade, contributed vital goals and assists especially at the end of last season. Barkley and Sanson are an upgrade in quality we need to move forward which is no slight on Conor. 

If we meet again with fans I am sure he will get a good reception at Villa Park

• Like 3

I love Conor and always thought he got a bit too much stick from some fans when we’ve not been performing. Always annoyed me when people would say ‘x opposition will walk through our midfield’ when he played as if he was physically on par with Doris the Tea Lady. He was vital to our resurgence and promotion and he’s been unbelievably professional.

Right time for both to move on, look forward to him smashing in free kicks against Blues.

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i guess the sad thing is that he's been a great servant but we're not able to clap him off the VP pitch one last time. hopefully he'll be back with swansea next season for us to give him a send off

This with bells on. Hope that he returns to Villa Park one day and receives the ovation that he deserves. 

Best of luck Conor, thanks for memories and everything you did to get this club back where it belongs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I love Conor, he goes down as one of those players I'll forever love because of him as a pro, what he's done for us and because I always have to stick up for those who are unfairly picked on, which in my view he has been. A favourite doesn't have to be a world beater, just someone you respect. He's worked his way up the divisions, scored in all of them, always worked hard and never kicked up a fuss.

Selfishly, I'd rather he stay as I still think he's currently our best option from the bench. We also have no-one, even Jack, who can replace his set-piece abilities currently. I acknowledge, our quite meteoric rise since Smith's arrival has meant he has been left behind somewhat and he's not going to be a regular in a team in the top half. I still think he would walk in to lot of lower Prem teams too.

His goals have been both spectacular (eg Blues) and vital (eg WBA). He joined a select group of players who've scored league hat trick for us, especially as a midfielder. His assists could be spectacular too - the ball for the opening goal in the play off final was fantastic, despite not being a direct sssist. He was the first to react to the Leeds debacle and the first in to protect Grealish from the fan attack.

He joined us in the Championship and was instrumental, even key, in getting us promoted. He cost £3m and gets endless stick from fans despite clearly having an outstanding work ethic, highlighted by fact he wants to go on loan against Smith's preference (looking at you Lansbury) and it's always infuriated me when fans turn against those who've done so much for us. This isn't a Drinkwater/Kodja thing where they're lazy or a situation where he's got in to some controversy. He's simply not at the level we are now BECAUSE he helped get us here.

Of course we will leave these players behind if you are to progress, the same might be said of the likes of McGinn or Cash etc... but I have little time for any one who can't recognise, and applaud, the massive impact Conor has had for Villa in our dark recent history.

Good luck Conor, a fantastic servant for the club.

Totally agree. I literally cannot fault him during his time here and it upsets to me see him go but I also don't want to see him waste the next few years of his career on the bench because he's too good for that. The bit in bold really gets me angry too. Some of the abuse he has received has been diabolical. He deserves better.

A message to any Swansea fans reading, you're getting a star who, after looking at your league position, I think will help you go up.

• Like 1

For 3 million, Conor has been a gift.

I understand and accept that we have improved beyond him, but he has done so well for us when called upon, and I feel a bit sad that this might mean the end of his time at Villa.

I hope he kicks on at Swansea, and becomes an important player there. If he winds up there permanently, I will pay more attention to the championship, and hope Swansea get promoted, and that Conor plays a big part in it, just like he did ours.

I sincerely wish him the best. He deserves no less.

• Like 1

Â