Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Evans also claiming (same article) that we are not looking at Brooks in this window. 

As I've said before, I'm not really arsed as long as he goes somewhere and we have a better option available. If the only bit of business we do is replacing him with Sanson, I think it'll have been a very good window. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MentalM said:

If Hourihane wants to leave, I believe we should let him go for quite the low fee.

If Hourihane or anyone else wants to leave, then I hope and expect the club will try to get the best deal possible for them.

5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think he’ll want to play with the euros coming and he deserves to go he’s been a great servant for us scored huge goals at times, I wish him well wherever he goes. 

Agreed. I must admit that I've never been his biggest fan, but he has been a good pro, scored some absolute belters and played a big part in our promotion. 

I don't think he is PL quality so won't be sad to see him go from a purely football perspective, but I think he'll be remembered fondly and most will wish him well for the rest of his career. 

Edited by av1

He’ll go down as a good servant to this club and he’s given us some good memories. He’s not cut out for this level and to be honest, there were plenty of times when he played for us in the championship where I didn’t think he was up to much at that level either. It will be an unpopular opinion as he is a bit of a fan favourite but I think he’s always been made to look better than he is by Grealish. 

Wish him all the best. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’ll go down as a good servant to this club and he’s given us some good memories. He’s not cut out for this level and to be honest, there were plenty of times when he played for us in the championship where I didn’t think he was up to much at that level either. It will be an unpopular opinion as he is a bit of a fan favourite but I think he’s always been made to look better than he is by Grealish. 

Wish him all the best. 

He didnt have Grealish at Barnsley, and he was their best player!

Hes a good player by his own right.

Wish him all the best!

He's been fantastic the whole time he's been here for the level we've been at, but now we're showing signs of pushing on and unfortunately he's not getting any younger. 

Great little player with great attributes but sadly not well rounded enough to be a regular in a decent prem side, I hope he finds a new team where he can play week in week out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i think letting anyone go is madness personally. we have seen recently how quickly a covid outbreak could cripple the squad. we need everyone.

You can only have a 25 man squad though, so if he is replaced and improved on there's more to gain than lose. 

I've always liked him and thought he often got way more stick than he deserved, his contributions to the team have been invaluable not only for getting us promotion, but also for staying in the league last year (the wins against Newcastle and Norwich on boxing day were massive). 

But we have reached a point where it seems hard for Club and player to help each other out, so with a big thank you and the very best wishes it feels like it's time to say goodbye 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

He didnt have Grealish at Barnsley, and he was their best player!

Hes a good player by his own right.

Wish him all the best!

Ask Barnsley fans to describe him and it's no one I've ever seen at Villa, it's remarkable. They talk about him driving from midfield with the ball and all sorts.

Played his part well mostly, but only ever as a passenger. Win, lose or draw, Hourihane will follow whatever the overall team performance is.

3 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think he’ll want to play with the euros coming and he deserves to go he’s been a great servant for us scored huge goals at times, I wish him well wherever he goes. 

He is not transferring nationality to play in the Euros ;) 

I really like Hourihane, which is why I'm very pro his leaving now. He deserves to play football, not rot on a bench.

Us getting in a younger, better and more exciting "replacement" means it's very much a win-win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Approach Celtic - £25m and Conor in return for Edouard.  🤔

Josef Fritzl at Celtic hasn't splashed a bean in a while now and they need to sell their biggest assets for financial stability.

We're not spending big money on a striker as backup. Smith won't play 2 up front and Watkins isn't getting shifted to the wing. Wesley is on the way back and Traore has excellent record at CF

12 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Yeah then at least he can play up until the Euros, empty the tank and have a good rest during the Euros because, unless Ireland submit a request like they did for the 2010 WC to become an extra team at the tournament (which would this time have to be accepted), then he ain't going to the Euros.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not spending big money on a striker as backup. Smith won't play 2 up front and Watkins isn't getting shifted to the wing. Wesley is on the way back and Traore has excellent record at CF

Ah yes, sorry.

I forgot our convosation about squad depth.

Â