Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

5m max is his value I think. As I said, in the right team he can make a difference but he is limited at a certain level. Hes never one to take a game by the scruff of its neck. Usually when the going is good he will look good too. 

He deserves to be playing in the premier, Burnley may be his best bet like the transfer talk suggests. I am absolutely gutted for him that we have not seen more of him. I also relise that Villa as a club have to keep growing and out grow players all the time, that means bringing in the best of the best and keep raising the profile.

This is business as much as it is football, I think theres enough evidence to suggest Smith hasn't had much faith in Conor, there must have been some reasons for that. However Conor has had a fantastic career at Villa around 150 appearances and 29 goals and alot of assists, he could benefit a team lower end of the prem.

As I said above I think the club is out growing certain players now and that's nothing against those players because most have put in some serious time and effort. It all ust so happens that the club wants and needs success now.

If Conor goes, I wish the bloke the best of luck and hope he remains a premier player, he deserves it all the way.

Edited by Dave-R

5 hours ago, Kingman said:

Surprised Sheffield Utd or Albion haven't come in for him, Would be a good pairing with Snodders in a relegation scrap 

Snodgrass isnt with West Ham anymore?

7 minutes ago, MentalM said:

If Hourihane wants to leave, I believe we should let him go for quite the low fee. He deserves that, and he has fallen down the pecking order to be behind Nakamba and Ramsey as well. 

I like Hourihane, but he is not suited to how we have evolved into playing now. As others has said, I believe he would be good in Newcastle, Burnley or WBA, teams that play a style where he could thrive more. 

Hope all Villa fans can see that he has contributed alot during his time, scored some great (and important!) goals for us, and if/when he leaves pay him the respect he deserves. 

You only have to watch the games today, especially the big one.....how players close down and squeeze for most of the game, they don't give you a minutes peace.....pressing is a big part of this game at the top of the Prem and Conor is not well equipped for that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

You only have to watch the games today, especially the big one.....how players close down and squeeze for most of the game, they don't give you a minutes peace.....pressing is a big part of this game at the top of the Prem and Conor is not well equipped for that.

100% agree with that :) Still believe in what I wrote :D Some teams play with less pressing, we do not!

Bournemouth would be a good move for Hourihane. A good footballing team at the sharp end of a promotion race. This is in and around Hourihane’s level, and he’d showcase his talents better in a promotion race rather than a scrappy fight at the bottom of the premier league in a poor team. It would be a good move for all concerned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

surely we wouldn't be letting him go unless we had someone coming in? i like marvelous but conor is miles better IMO. unless ramsey is now ahead in the pecking order

Based on recent subs it seems Ramsey is indeed ahead.

Also, if the Morgan links are true, that may mean this makes a lot of sense.  Although it could also be press linking one fake story with another to make them both make sense.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

surely we wouldn't be letting him go unless we had someone coming in? i like marvelous but conor is miles better IMO. unless ramsey is now ahead in the pecking order

Ramsey is absolutely ahead in the pecking order. He's played really well, and bar set pieces, offers a lot more in our system than Conor does.

Conor has been a fantastic addition to the club and he's scored some crucial goals / put in some crucial assists, but I don't see him getting a run in the first team so a move might be best for him at this stage in his career. Wish him all the best if he does go.

Whilst he doesn’t really fit our system anymore, I wouldn’t let him go without a replacement lined up (and this could include youth options if we are planning to promote from U23). Going to need a big squad this year I think due to Covid and fixture pile up. 

Â