Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I hope he stays.

With no other logical reason than i really like the guy.

I had the same stance with Chester.

How do you imagine Chelsea felt in the decision of Letting John Terry go......these decisions always comes at some time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Fair enough, I inferred let him go on a free to mean release on a free (to the market as it were).

If we agree a free transfer with another club, Conor would still need to agree terms with them,  and that would probably need, and warrant some investment from us to make up amy shortfall in his wages over the period he was contracted to us for. In total, you'd expect it to be a fair bit less if he moves to a lower Prem club, and quite a lot less if he has to drop to Championship. And still would mean whatever we do pay gets factord in to this year's ffp calcs.

I just don't see a free move happening really. A nominal sale of a few mill,  where most of it ends up in Conor's pocket is more likely i reckon. We may even get a genuine interested party battle that sees his price being more the value it should be for his ability (imo).

Kind of happy whatever happens as we've demonstrated this season that we don't need him,  but I reckon he'd still have been useful in some scenarios where we haven't used him.

Honestly, I can't think of a single time this season when I thought he'd be useful or improve the side playing. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Honestly, I can't think of a single time this season when I thought he'd be useful or improve the side playing. 

Sadly agree. He just doesnt fit us right now. We have got great value out of Conor and he is still an asset but its pretty clear its time for a change. I would be very surprised if we struggle to find a buyer. He would walk into any Championship team and improve some premier league teams.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

That's because weve played quite a few games less that other teams. That will catch up with us and we need a squad, particularly for our central midfield. Hes never going to dislodge those above him but it doesn't mean we wont need to rely on him.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

That's because weve played quite a few games less that other teams. That will catch up with us and we need a squad, particularly for our central midfield. Hes never going to dislodge those above him but it doesn't mean we wont need to rely on him.

But we can't rely on him, that's the problem. 

• Like 1

He has played his part in our rebuild, promotion and survival and we can thank him for his time with us.

He is still capable of doing a fantastic job... but we are moving in different directions now and need more from a squad player than what Conor seems to be able to provide.

I’d love him to prove me wrong and come out when we rest Dougie or McGinn and be this all action midfielder and a capable stand in... but I just can’t see it happening.

Wish him all the best though. I reckon a few years in the SPL would be right up his street

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TRO said:

How do you imagine Chelsea felt in the decision of Letting John Terry go......these decisions always comes at some time.

I’m not so sure that Connor, fine chap though I’m sure he is, is held in the same esteem and affection that JT was/is at Chelsea. But I get your point, it’s a ruthless business. 

22 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think that he would walk into a team like Sheffield Utd or West Brom and bring some real quality.

Good sub for us this year, next year I am hoping for better options off the bench. 

Apparently in talks with Swansea about potential loan move 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It doesn’t benefit us or him to be sitting on a bench until the end of the season. 

It will if we start picking up injuries which is likely. Who arr the backups. Ramsey? Nakamba? Or does he bring in lansbury from the cold?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It will if we start picking up injuries which is likely. Who arr the backups. Ramsey? Nakamba? Or does he bring in lansbury from the cold?

I see what you mean but I think he’s been a loyal servant. If he wants to leave and play football I don’t think the club should stand in his way. 

23 hours ago, lexicon said:

But we can't rely on him, that's the problem. 

i think the problem for him is, we have moved on.

We are now in a class of football, where limitations are exposed and you need to be competent at so many disciplines....this is another reason why the kids will take time, they are good at some things but need work on the other things

Its like a little bird who can't cope in the strong winds, its not ruthless, its life, The strong survive.

That is not to say that conor, has not given his best, he has....nothing wrong with what he has done for us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Swansea would obviously be a really good move for him but like others I worry a bit about cover. We are relying heavily on McGinn & Luiz at the moment and they are doing a great job. Just a bit worried about who comes in if one or both gets injured/suspended.

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Swansea would obviously be a really good move for him but like others I worry a bit about cover. We are relying heavily on McGinn & Luiz at the moment and they are doing a great job. Just a bit worried about who comes in if one or both gets injured/suspended.

Drinkwater is still available? 

He cost Chelsea £30 million. If that is what Barkley is worth then I think we could have a bargain.

• Like 1

Â