Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Except when he doesn't. Lots of times.

Anyone would think that Conor had Messi like stats the way he is hailed by some. He would've been bullied out if this game in 5 minutes. I'm in agreeance with you, can we please all remember the times Conor has done stuff all. 

6 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Anyone would think that Conor had Messi like stats the way he is hailed by some. He would've been bullied out if this game in 5 minutes

if you’re gonna call out hyperbole, try not to engage in it yourself!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Anyone would think that Conor had Messi like stats the way he is hailed by some. He would've been bullied out if this game in 5 minutes. I'm in agreeance with you, can we please all remember the times Conor has done stuff all. 

This all day. Not only missing, but he doesn't havecthe engine for the match the way it was played.

Personally I'd sell him asap. Championship footballer.

• Like 2

I'd be amazed if he survives the Jan window with us

Thanks for your service and all that, but we've moved on, and he isn't good enough for where we currently are ...and where we want to be

• Like 1

Don't think anyone pays for him. Time to sell was the summer we got promotion, could have got £5-10m off some playoff chasing side.

I can't recall any big injury he's had but he's aged horribly. He can't move. Don't think I've seen a drop off like this in a player under 30 without an injury before.

Can still play a part this season. I don't think Burnley was much good for him, he'd have been smashed aside. Albion he could pop up with something if he gets any mins.

• Like 1

Have to admit surprised he didn’t feature at all yesterday. He must be off the pace in training.  I’ve always liked Conner. Tidy player with a wand of a left foot. But the fact he can’t get on the pitch when we have 2 midfields out shows our improvement. 

He can continue for a few years in the Championship yet. 

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know that I think he would have been 'the answer' in that game, but I also don't think it's ridiculous to think he might have finished a chance better than some of those on the field.

He would need to make the space for himself and/or run with the ball to actually finish those chances though which he can't do. He really only scores when he runs on to the ball and one-times it. Weren't too many of those chances yesterday.

• Thanks 1

Time here is done really. Been an excellent servant. Perhaps he'll leave in January but think it's more likely he'll move on in the summer where he'll have more options and clubs will have a bit more money.

Can see him ending up at a Derby, Forest or Stoke for a few million.

Actually think aswell given Burnley's cashflow issues they'd probably take him as midfield cover given how good Westwood and Lowton have been and they have a few Irish players up there.

• Like 1

Conflicted about him, such a vital player for us in the last 3 or 4 years. Incredible the amount of vital goals he's popped up with. The goal against small heath and play off against West brom in the playoff being particularl highlights, if not legendary certainly cult hero status. 

Saying that I don't see a role for him for us going forwards, as much as I like and respect him I think it would be better if he moved on when the time suits him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

In hindsight i would have played Nakamba, Hourihane and McGinn in the midfield.

for all his faults, Conor is one of the best and most accurate finishers at the club. Most of the time he is hitting the target.

he has a 40 percent record of hitting the target this season and 30 percent last season and 31 percent the season before

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know that I think he would have been 'the answer' in that game, but I also don't think it's ridiculous to think he might have finished a chance better than some of those on the field.

No my argument is he never would of been in any of those positions that AEG created. 

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He would need to make the space for himself and/or run with the ball to actually finish those chances though which he can't do. He really only scores when he runs on to the ball and one-times it. Weren't too many of those chances yesterday.

This is exactly my point!

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't think anyone pays for him. Time to sell was the summer we got promotion, could have got £5-10m off some playoff chasing side.

I can't recall any big injury he's had but he's aged horribly. He can't move. Don't think I've seen a drop off like this in a player under 30 without an injury before.

Can still play a part this season. I don't think Burnley was much good for him, he'd have been smashed aside. Albion he could pop up with something if he gets any mins.

I don’t think he’s dropped off that much tbh - he’s a good Championship player trying to perform at a level above, and actually making a pretty decent crack at it, given his limitations.

Think he still has plenty left in the tank, but unlikely to get many opportunities to prove that at Villa.

• Like 3

If we sold we could still make a profit on him, Sheffield United or Baggies for example he would be an upgrade even Burnley he is better than Brownhill. A team trying to go up or trying to stay up he be welcomed

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we sold we could still make a profit on him, Sheffield United or Baggies for example he would be an upgrade even Burnley he is better than Brownhill. A team trying to go up or trying to stay up he be welcomed

I agree, I'm not bashing the fella as he has been a fine servant of the club. Many good memories. However I don't think he fits in where we are heading. 

He clearly thinks he deserves more football , and maybe he does. It just won't be at Villa, and I'm ok with that. He would definitely improve those teams you mentioned!!

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Theres always a trend on VT for players ability to increase when they're not playing see Keinan for an example.

It's strange that Conor who has (whether you rate him or not) been a key player in our recent history, his ability seems to decrease week by week.

Hes off the pace in training, hes aged horribly etc 

I think in terms of our midfield the order is

Grealish

McGinn,  Luiz

Ramsey, Hourihane, Nakamba

Lansbury

Grealish is so far ahead of everyone else its ridiculous.

McGinn and Luiz are both 2 and 3rd choice (in a 3 man midfield)

To say that Conor has no future, is below our level is premature. He is 1 of 3 vying to be first back up.

We would like him to be below our level, we are not there yet. If we sell Lansbury and hourihane in jan, we would end up relying on Ramsey and Nakamba as starters in a reasonable amount if games.

That's dangerous imo.

I think 2 of our first 3 midfield options will leave in the summer. Players such as hourihane will provide the professionalism and character  we've so often lacked outside the first team, to ensure some degree of consistency. 

• Like 3

Â