Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I don't get all the hate, I thought he played all right, he was quite ivoleved in a very good first half and his set pieces were generally good, especially that ball to Konsa. 

Sure, he wasn't spectacular, but judging by the comments it looks like he cost us the game...

they don't hate him.....they just don't rate him.

4 minutes ago, WooJung said:

I don't get all the hate, I thought he played all right, he was quite ivoleved in a very good first half and his set pieces were generally good, especially that ball to Konsa. 

Sure, he wasn't spectacular, but judging by the comments it looks like he cost us the game...

I'm sure that no Villa fan "hates" Hourihane.  I guess most just think the game seems to "pass him by" as Matt Kendrick put it on the [can't remember which one he does] podcast.  And I agree entirely.  

8 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm sure that no Villa fan "hates" Hourihane.  I guess most just think the game seems to "pass him by" as Matt Kendrick put it on the [can't remember which one he does] podcast.  And I agree entirely.  

it does.....but he isn't the only one....its just he gets it most.

• Like 1

He has some good moments but often left feeling underwhelmed. a bit like a chinese buffet. the wings and duck pancakes are pretty amazing but everything else is just stodge and feel meh afterwards. 

Conor is our best free kick taker and short passing is fine, but his through balls using Y on the xbox every time plus his inability to tackle or jump for a header hampers him in the middle of the field. 

If we had a prime Roy Keane or Makelele backing him up it might be different, but we don't have a brute in midfield causing carnage. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

He has some good moments but often left feeling underwhelmed. a bit like a chinese buffet. the wings and duck pancakes are pretty amazing but everything else is just stodge and feel meh afterwards. 

Conor is our best free kick taker and short passing is fine, but his through balls using Y on the xbox every time plus his inability to tackle or jump for a header hampers him in the middle of the field. 

If we had a prime Roy Keane or Makelele backing him up it might be different, but we don't have a brute in midfield causing carnage. 

Roy Keane and Luiz would be the best midfield in the league no matter who was playing with them as the third in the trio. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

I am drooling like a Boxer dog waiting for his food to be served.

bang on.

I don't mind we haven't got one.... WIP and all that, but the 64 million dollar question is.....are we looking for one.....that is my frustration.

13 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Roy Keane and Luiz would be the best midfield in the league no matter who was playing with them as the third in the trio. 

Thats why he plays well with Casemiro.

Kante is some player in that role on form, too.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

It’s a shame that the modern game has no place for players like Keane anymore. 

it’s been replaced instead by players who are incredibly fast and press very quickly to force a pass and hurry the opposition into a mistake.

Luiz and two McGinns would be absolutely perfect. 

so what we should ask ourselves is who is like McGinn but not McGinn who we could realistically buy?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, kidlewis said:

it’s been replaced instead by players who are incredibly fast and press very quickly to force a pass and hurry the opposition into a mistake.

so what we should ask ourselves is who is like McGinn but not McGinn who we could realistically buy?

Smarterscout has this feature where we can check for players who have similar playstyles.

There's this player called Jesper Lindstrom who plays in the Danish league who the database has highlighted to be very similar to Mcginn's playstyle. I'm not gonna pretend that I watch the Danish league, but he's only 20 and is already capped for the Danish senior national team. Might be worth looking at.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

23 hours ago, TRO said:

In that role, you are probably right.....I have already said in previous posts that he is not a bad player......but tell me what he did on Monday?, not picking on him, but what exactly did he do?, particularly in the first half.....not much different to what Ashley Westwood used to do, recycle the ball....which is ok, but we need dynamic players to make the difference.....Jack can't do it on his own.

It is clear you have a complete lack of comprehension of what I am saying to come out with that....."Do you think we should win every game"......I am merely picking up on some of the reasons why I think we have gone in to a tail spin of losing......can you give your reasons why we have suddenly gone from WINNING TO LOSING?

I watch the game mate... and I see the basic things that we are failing at, that denies us aspiring to build on that super start.......this isn't a fluttering of form......We have been beaten 4 times in the last 5 games on the back of a massive confidence boosting start.

The contrast in our form has been Stark since the Leeds game, with Arsenal the only respite......and when you analyse the goals we have gifted the opposition, there is cause for concern.

Some teams, will just let you play to your hearts content in the middle of the park, to make the point......they return to business in the danger area.

Graham Taylor used to say the same thing, don't wear yourselves out chasing rainbows, pick them up where it matters and conserve your energy......we all know there are so many ways of playing, and Dean clearly has his, which we all find acceptable on the eye.

But the naivety in defence is killing us......He has to stop it.

when a team like West Ham come out and say they played bad and led for most of the game, something is clearly wrong......despite the mitigating circumstances.

When do we get gifted the goals, that we give away?.....poor Jack has to work like Maradona to get one.

I can't tell anyone how to watch a game.....but we have clear issues IMO.

Asking if you think we should keep winning is fair if the question you're posing is why we've stopped winning. Did you expect the winning to continue indefinitely, or even win most games? That's not going to be a reality with this team. Currently we've won more games than we've lost, which is already a massive improvement on pretty much ever PL season since 2010.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kidlewis said:

It doesn't matter who they are, or what era, they come from......its what they do.

you just simply cannot give teams free passage through the middle of your midfield......if you think we have no problem, fine......i just happen to disagree.

We need players in our squad that have a natural ability to go after the opposition and deny them possession and start attacks......they may not play every game, but we need that option for tactical purposes.

the game itself naturally mutates,over the years,but many principles remain, they are just dressed up/ presented differently......The changes in officialdom has had a bearing on that too....you can't get away with the tackles of yesteryear, granted.....but the opposition still need to be stopped or curtailed.

When folk mention players like Roy Keane or Dave McKay its simply an illustration, not to be taken too literally.

some of our players have to show a natural appetite for stopping the opposition and do it well, not half hearted......i can't put it any simpler.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Asking if you think we should keep winning is fair if the question you're posing is why we've stopped winning. Did you expect the winning to continue indefinitely, or even win most games? That's not going to be a reality with this team. Currently we've won more games than we've lost, which is already a massive improvement on pretty much ever PL season since 2010.

To suggest, that I am suggesting winning every game is folly.

We could have drawn a couple, which would have suggested resillience....and the start would have had more credibility....instead of that, the start has helped us stay out if the bottom half....its been wasteful.

We can't win every game, thats pretty obvious.....but its the manner of the defeats and the manner of the conceded goals.....sure we are also missing some sitters, but that just papers over the cracks of what happens in our box.

The attacking improvements are welcome......but....we need to improve on the defensive side of our game.

I find it bizarre, that after losing 4 games out of the last 5 my explanations are deemed so surprising.....in light of the super start.....I am amazed more questions have not been raised.

Edited by TRO

On 01/12/2020 at 15:21, AVFCDAN said:

To be honest its criminal that we have spent 200 million over the last 2 seasons and we are still resorting to Hourihane in important games. He tries and does have some qualities but it just shows you how much has been wasted in assembling this team.

Perspective.

On 01/12/2020 at 15:21, AVFCDAN said:

To be honest its criminal that we have spent 200 million over the last 2 seasons and we are still resorting to Hourihane in important games. He tries and does have some qualities but it just shows you how much has been wasted in assembling this team.

Or, it shows how expensive it is to assemble a squad at this level and how well Smith has done to keep us afloat and progress the manner he has.

£140m of talent started at West ham, a game in which we dominated and should've won. £20m came off the bench. £30m worth of talent injured. The rest on the bench. I'd say that this shows that recruitment has been ok. Not perfect, but better than most other teams in the last 2 years.

Some players haven't developed to where we would like. Name a side where this doesn't happen.

Any excuse to dig at the manager/recruitment when in reality, when you break it down. What you've said is incorrect.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Â