Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Should've sat against Chelsea and started today. But no. Way to go Smith.

So effing obvious. Very annoying.

Should never be on v Chelsea. He knows he's not good enough and doesn't try to help the team in games like that, it's all about just not being caught losing the ball himself.

Today was a game for him but I can see why he doesn't start. He can't move. Must have some sort of long term injury, he didn't used to be this bad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

So effing obvious. Very annoying.

Should never be on v Chelsea. He knows he's not good enough and doesn't try to help the team in games like that, it's all about just not being caught losing the ball himself.

Today was a game for him but I can see why he doesn't start. He can't move. Must have some sort of long term injury, he didn't used to be this bad.

I liked the way wide positions he got himself into vs Newcastle , he sat deep vs chelsea and did nothing   , two up top against wolves and have him higher up the pitch like the second half yesterday 

so how many minutes in to the wolves game will the statement be made "now I remember why we don't start him"

frustrating player, he starts and does absolutely **** all, he comes on and looks lively, so many games pass him by and yet also in many games his set pieces look our best play

we almost need to set up like Chelsea did, false width or width from the full backs whilst packing in the midfielders, play hourihane in a midfield 4 with jack, luiz and McGinn knowing at least jack will wonder out wide, push targett and Elmo up (waste of time playing konsa in that role)

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

so how many minutes in to the wolves game will the statement be made "now I remember why we don't start him"

frustrating player, he starts and does absolutely **** all, he comes on and looks lively, so many games pass him by and yet also in many games his set pieces look our best play

we almost need to set up like Chelsea did, false width or width from the full backs whilst packing in the midfielders, play hourihane in a midfield 4 with jack, luiz and McGinn knowing at least jack will wonder out wide, push targett and Elmo up (waste of time playing konsa in that role)

Another Andy Blair.......always in and out of the team.

he would come in play well and after 4 games be out again and rinse & repeat.

Conor at 5-0 down :

spacer.png

Conor at 5- 0 up :

spacer.png

Conor when getting relegated :

spacer.png

Conor when chasing promotion :

spacer.png

Conor against yeovil :

spacer.png

Conor against Liverpool :

spacer.png

Bloke can jog for days and days. Covers every blade of grass ....at the same pace.

• Haha 4

Noticed he's the 3rd highest xA/90 out of anyone in the PL so far who's at least played a thousand minutes.

1-Kevin de Bruyne

2-Riyad Mahrez

3-Conor Hourihane.

Its higher than the likes of Mane, Firmino, hell even Grealish.

I assume his stats were boosted because he's our primary free kick taker but still, that's damn impressive. Even Tifo football when they made a video about us recently adressed Hourihane's high expected assist rate as one of things we needed to rely on to help us survive relegation.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

Hourihane is what I would describe a moneyball player. His stats are great, budget player and can do a job in the right system. 

I would predict more chance of Hourihane joining a Premier League team if we go down than McGinn 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Noticed he's the 3rd highest xA/90 out of anyone in the PL so far who's at least played a thousand minutes.

1-Kevin de Bruyne

2-Riyad Mahrez

3-Conor Hourihane.

Its higher than the likes of Mane, Firmino, hell even Grealish.

I assume his stats were boosted because he's our primary free kick taker but still, that's damn impressive. Even Tifo football when they made a video about us recently adressed Hourihane's high expected assist rate as one of things we needed to rely on to help us survive relegation.

Quite a damning indicment on our strike force, although as its a per minute stat and he hasnt been that present this season probably not as much as you'd expect.

I suspect as grealish is one of the most fouled players in the league Conor gets more than the average number of opportunities to create a goal scoring opportunity when he's on the pitch. 

Doesn't make up for his seemingly nonchalant attitude to everything else on the pitch, and for me demonstrates why he should be used as an impact sub at opportune moments

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He had a great chance at 0-0 against Wolves to score, as it fell on his left foot I was sure it would end up in the back of the net!

Hourihane was unlucky as it was blocked well by their player.

not surprising, they closed down and blocked everything we did......sadly we don't, we let teams play......we are a poor team without the ball.

its been our biggest fault for some time now.

The irony of all this is........The very best teams do the ugly, mundane stuff better than most too, but it is overlooked due the their superior technical abilities.

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He had a great chance at 0-0 against Wolves to score, as it fell on his left foot I was sure it would end up in the back of the net!

Hourihane was unlucky as it was blocked well by their player.

Problem was it that adjust to try and curl it in which allowed time to block 

He was on wrong side of pitch against Newcastle on the left he was more dangerous on the right he had to cut back inside then would be sending in a ball curling towards the keeper.

To get the best from him you really need him in the position Grealish plays.Grealish in that role will  run with ball and create chances by drawing players in , Hourihane you want there to be on edge of area to shoot or in a position to cross.

A role for him where he is chasing players or generally not close to the opponents area is a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2020 at 13:54, rodders0223 said:

Conor at 5-0 down :

spacer.png

Conor at 5- 0 up :

spacer.png

Conor when getting relegated :

spacer.png

Conor when chasing promotion :

spacer.png

Conor against yeovil :

spacer.png

Conor against Liverpool :

spacer.png

Bloke can jog for days and days. Covers every blade of grass ....at the same pace.

how hilarious 

Â