Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I am sick of it. Stop blaming our players. This was poor management and recruitment. Just because Conor had one okay match against a club he played in the championship last season, doesn't mean he can do it against Kante. 

I will blame him because he's a coward, which I won't accept in players.

There's very little difference at all technically between him and someone like Norwood at Sheffield United. All technique, no size or strength. Norwood is key to that side because he isn't a little fanny who is scared to tackle and scared to get on the ball.

He's just as shit against Chelsea and he will be against Coventry unless someone does all the work for him. Passenger in the Championship, passenger in the Premier League.

All that coverage he got at the start of the season waving his dick around because he'd "made it" to the premier league. Signed his fat new contract and started retirement seemingly.

If any responsibility is placed on his shoulders next season we're in huge trouble and won't be challenging for promotion. Needs someone walking round looking after him or he's getting swept aside by 99.99% of Championship midfielders, you can forget Premier League.

• Like 2

I understand why Westwood said Villa fans are the worst.

You've watched a player play a way that got him recognized and promoted from league 1 to the premier league, and now his style is suddenly shit and he is a coward. Conor just doesn't suit the way we need him to play in the premier league. Doesn't make him a coward. He was never a tackler. Effort and stamina won't suddenly make him able to tackle and do things. Look at Trezeguet. He runs, but does absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

I understand why Westwood said Villa fans are the worst.

You've watched a player play a way that got him recognized and promoted from league 1 to the premier league, and now his style is suddenly shit and he is a coward. Conor just doesn't suit the way we need him to play in the premier league. Doesn't make him a coward. He was never a tackler. Effort and stamina won't suddenly make him able to tackle and do things. Look at Trezeguet. He runs, but does absolutely nothing. 

He's a monstrous coward mate. Got the ability to play but doesn't want to in case he loses the ball, so he doesn't bother.

Huge fan of Westwood here btw. Opposite attitude to Hourihane. Spent his whole villa career being brave and getting on the ball while most players ran the other way, wanting nothing to do with it. Was always clearly a PL player unlike this wally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's a monstrous coward mate. Got the ability to play but doesn't want to in case he loses the ball, so he doesn't bother.

Huge fan of Westwood here btw. Opposite attitude to Hourihane. Spent his whole villa career being brave and getting on the ball while most players ran the other way, wanting nothing to do with it. Was always clearly a PL player unlike this wally.

Nothing has changed in Conor's playing style fyi. In the matches we lost in the championship, it was the same rhetoric. Conor doesn't tackle, he doesn't chase, etc. Why did anyone think that would change in the premier league against better opponents? He is a #10. It's not like people expect Sigurdsson to do those types of tackles and runs.  

When we signed Hourihane he was statisically the best midfielder in the championship, not just attacking wise, he also had the best defensive stats, and he needed to have that side to his game because he played in a two man midfield there with Scowen at Barnsley. LIke a lot of players it seems he's lost something after signing for us, but overall he's been a good signing, 28 goals and 19 assists in 138 appearances, in terms of minutes on the pitch he's played 113 games for us, to have either scored or assisted a goal almost 50 times in that amount of game time is actually very impressive.

Next season If we stay up I'd let him go, but if we go down I'd keep him as a squad player, and try and sign better for the first team as we need start building as much as possible a team that will be ready for the premier league

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Nothing has changed in Conor's playing style fyi. In the matches we lost in the championship, it was the same rhetoric. Conor doesn't tackle, he doesn't chase, etc. Why did anyone think that would change in the premier league against better opponents? He is a #10. It's not like people expect Sigurdsson to do those types of tackles and runs.  

Yeah I called him a coward then as well.

Who says he's a 10? He arrived as a CM from a 442 who played left mid a bit as well. Don't think he was playing as a #10 for Plymouth in league two.

He's meant to be a professional footballer and in this squad he is one of the experienced ones who should be leading from the front. Yet in games he hides away, actively selling his teammates down the river as he offers no out ball for them.

He wasn't even that bad today tbh. That was very standard Hourihane.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I think McGinn will but I'd just then give it to which new CB we sign if he dosen't. We did that with Elphick then Chester and then Terry when they all joined.

Hourihane would be a fair bit down the list.

You're probably right, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least. When Jack goes, he'll be our most featured player (138 apps and counting) with the next back being Elmo on 107 (assuming Chester is let go). Can see him getting it with his experience and how he carries himself at training, in the locker room etc.

In a sea of mediocrity yesterday I didn't think Hourihane was particularly bad.

He's not a defensive minded midfielder. He's not a dribbler of the ball. He's not a great header of the ball either.

What he possesses is a sweet left foot that is good for dead ball delivery and he has an eye for goal.

Sitting as deep as we were yesterday, we'd have been better off with Nakamba.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

When we signed Hourihane he was statisically the best midfielder in the championship, not just attacking wise, he also had the best defensive stats, and he needed to have that side to his game because he played in a two man midfield there with Scowen at Barnsley. LIke a lot of players it seems he's lost something after signing for us, but overall he's been a good signing, 28 goals and 19 assists in 138 appearances, in terms of minutes on the pitch he's played 113 games for us, to have either scored or assisted a goal almost 50 times in that amount of game time is actually very impressive.

Next season If we stay up I'd let him go, but if we go down I'd keep him as a squad player, and try and sign better for the first team as we need start building as much as possible a team that will be ready for the premier league

If we go down, Hourihane won't be a squad player for us. He'll be a starter. If we couldn't recruit enough CMs to permanently displace him from the starting 11 in the PL what makes you think we'll be able to do that in the Championship?

• Like 1

It doesn't really work like that, just because he hasn't been replaced this season don't mean to say he won't or can't be replaced next season, and just because we're in the championship it doesn't mean to say we won't be able to sign better players than the ones we signed last summer, or better than Hourihane. It's like saying that Elmohamady will be a starter next season, because he's still getting games.

Don't know how many games he's started, but he's only only played for 90 minutes in four league games this season, if you add up the minutes he's been on the pitch it comes to around 12 games, so it's not even true to say he hasn't been displaced from the starting eleven, he's been a squad player this season for the most part who's got a little more game time because of McGinn's injury.

In fact as a championship club I think we could improve on most of our current team, that's not to say we will with our track record of signings, but it is possible

4 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

In a sea of mediocrity yesterday I didn't think Hourihane was particularly bad.

He's not a defensive minded midfielder. He's not a dribbler of the ball. He's not a great header of the ball either.

What he possesses is a sweet left foot that is good for dead ball delivery and he has an eye for goal.

Sitting as deep as we were yesterday, we'd have been better off with Nakamba.

Exactly. I suppose the idea is that Jack provides a good set piece or two and Conor may score. That's our best scoring plan.

31 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I'm surprised at the criticism here. I didn't know he was even on the pitch!

The only time I wanted him on the pitch was for that freekick at the end and then was told by my son that he’d been taken off 10 minutes earlier

• Like 1

He’s a statue, a complete snowflake which we cannot afford in certain games. It’s frustrating he cant/won’t capitalise on his technical ability by getting about a bit more but we’re just repeating ourselves at this point.

The issue now is the man who continues to pick him. There are alternatives to playing Hourihane which Smith, for whatever reason, is choosing to ignore.

In my opinion the only way Hourihane should be utilised is as we did against West Brom last season at VP where he was introduced as a late attacking substitution to break down a team. It’s suicide to start Hourihane against a possession-based team like Chelsea and I blame Smith for that, which is another example of Smith not playing to our (admittedly few) strengths.

Edited by AV82

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I very much doubt he'll be captain (McGinn would get if he stayed) but yeah he will be a regular in our team just as he was in 18/19. Started the play off final for instance.

McGinn is going nowhere playing like that.

his current form is a shadow of SJM.

The only one to escape this situation is Jack.....and if he continues playing like that his move will be scuppered by doubting suitors too.....Mount completely upstaged him.

Edited by TRO

Not saying the comments on Hourihane are wrong, but here's the thing.

That left peg can't be chaperoned, because we don't have those players in the squad to do that.....as an example oliver Norwood who he is similar to, has players to cover the ugly stuff...Conor don't have that, so his passive play gets highlighted.

He is not a ball winner, but because we don't have one, with any competence, he is scapegoated to a degree.

I do agree, we could do with a better version of him.....but it is unfair to blame him for things the club have got wrong.

He is a weapon at times, and we ain't got many of them.

Every team has a player like conor in terms of workrate......but them have others to compensate, we don't.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Not saying the comments on Hourihane are wrong, but here's the thing.

That left peg can't be chaperoned, because we don't have those players in the squad to do that.....as an example oliver Norwood who he is similar to, has players to cover the ugly stuff...Conor don't have that, so his passive play gets highlighted.

He is not a ball winner, but because we don't have one, with any competence, he is scapegoated to a degree.

I do agree, we could do with a better version of him.....but it is unfair to blame him for things the club have got wrong.

He is a weapon at times, and we ain't got many of them.

Every team has a player like conor in terms of workrate......but them have others to compensate, we don't.

I agree with this , he has traits we can use but not in the way we deployed him yesterday 

• Like 1

Â