Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

He is a League 1 player. It is painful to watch him at this level. He is physically incapable. The fact that he is still playing is ridiculous. If we go down, I still would not want him anywhere near the team. Bloody awful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was invisible for the most part in the championship so I don’t think we can expect him to be any good in the premier league. Grealish has made him look better than he is. If he’s in our team next season in the championship we’ll have yet again failed on the recruitment front. 

• Like 3

On 19/06/2020 at 02:09, TRO said:

Gives us grit?

are you sure about that?......I would say he gives anything but grit.

I was a bit too positive and enthusiastic there, today Conor was back to his anonymous self, he shouldn't play against the top halv games. 

With grit I meant that he runs quite much and is determined, too bad he is too weak and slow and shrinks to the occation.

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I was a bit too positive and enthusiastic there, today Conor was back to his anonymous self, he shouldn't play against the top halv games. 

With grit I meant that he runs quite much and is determined, too bad he is too weak and slow and shrinks to the occation.

I have never seen anyone work so hard to such little effect. He shows up in the play quite a bit but he is always just the little bit behind. It’s like he purposely runs as hard as his can in the wrong direction just to get his running stats up but is too timid to take any responsibility. Absolutely zero influence 

Some of you are nuts. 

We played Chelsea. Conor is a fringe championship/premier league player. Playing a champions league club with players who arguably belong in the championship will result in a negative performance 9 out of 10 times.

Conor was invisible today as he often is against the better clubs but so was the whole team. In a match where we were under pressure and had little of the ball, a player like Conor is useless. This is on Dean. Conor had more touches than Jack and McGinn but it doesn't mean much. Our whole midfield was awful offensively and obviously conor isn't going to do much to help defensively. We know this. How is it possible this happens so many times this season, and yet Conor keeps playing against these types of clubs? Where did conor have his best matches? It was against clubs in the bottom 6. No surprise there. When we have the ball against clubs of similar quality, Conor is decent. That is the only time he should be starting. 

I am sick of it. Stop blaming our players. This was poor management and recruitment. Just because Conor had one okay match against a club he played in the championship last season, doesn't mean he can do it against Kante. 

14 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Some of you are nuts. 

We played Chelsea. Conor is a fringe championship/premier league player. Playing a champions league club with players who arguably belong in the championship will result in a negative performance 9 out of 10 times.

Conor was invisible today as he often is against the better clubs but so was the whole team. In a match where we were under pressure and had little of the ball, a player like Conor is useless. This is on Dean. Conor had more touches than Jack and McGinn but it doesn't mean much. Our whole midfield was awful offensively and obviously conor isn't going to do much to help defensively. We know this. How is it possible this happens so many times this season, and yet Conor keeps playing against these types of clubs? Where did conor have his best matches? It was against clubs in the bottom 6. No surprise there. When we have the ball against clubs of similar quality, Conor is decent. That is the only time he should be starting. 

I am sick of it. Stop blaming our players. This was poor management and recruitment. Just because Conor had one okay match against a club he played in the championship last season, doesn't mean he can do it against Kante. 

I’m sorry but this is nonsense. I am not good enough to play at this level but if for some bizarre reason I had been playing today you would have seen a committed football player who was totally out of his league. You would see someone trying to get on the ball. You would see someone trying to engage the opposition. You would see someone making a total tit out of themselves for 90 minutes. With Conor you just see nothing. He is too scared to make a mistake so he just hides. I can forgive someone for trying hard but not being good enough but I will never forgive someone who simply refuses to take part.

15 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I’m sorry but this is nonsense. I am not good enough to play at this level but if for some bizarre reason I had been playing today you would have seen a committed football player who was totally out of his league. You would see someone trying to get on the ball. You would see someone trying to engage the opposition. You would see someone making a total tit out of themselves for 90 minutes. With Conor you just see nothing. He is too scared to make a mistake so he just hides. I can forgive someone for trying hard but not being good enough but I will never forgive someone who simply refuses to take part.

The problem is this team don't compete, I don't mean going through the motions, I mean full bloodied competing.....that imo comes from the Manager.....those things come from demands.

I will just take 1 example, where I could quote many.......High balls particularly in midfield, The amount of time we are out muscled and out jumped for headers is scandalous, game after game its the same.....opposing teams gaining territory on us by out jumping us.

When do we ever work on that?......its been the same all season and last season.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Didnt make a single tackle today.

Was all in favour of keeping him if we went down but not now. Get rid. Soggy newspaper of a footballer.

The 2 golden boys were trying to match him today too.....both were rubbish.

Wasn't there quotes from Hourihane where he basically admitted that we're reliant on Grealish, I think that speaks volumes and is a big part of our problem, not so much that we're reliant on Grealish, but that the players themselves believe that, seem to lack mental strength.

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

He is a League 1 player. It is painful to watch him at this level. He is physically incapable. The fact that he is still playing is ridiculous. If we go down, I still would not want him anywhere near the team. Bloody awful.

He is more than proven in championship. He'll be a key player next season and will probably provide decent number of goals and assists without really being a dominant player in midfield.

Think part of giving him that new 4 year deal was in case we went down.

Edited by VillaChris

54 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He is more than proven in championship. He'll be a key player next season and will probably provide decent number of goals and assists without really being a dominant player in midfield.

Think part of giving him that new 4 year deal was in case we went down.

Like I said in another thread, people who never want to see him again better get used to him. He'll be a staple next season and very possibly captain.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I very much doubt he'll be captain (McGinn would get if he stayed) but yeah he will be a regular in our team just as he was in 18/19. Started the play off final for instance.

McGinn won't stay. Neither will Jack, Luiz or Mings. 

3 minutes ago, Hornso said:

McGinn won't stay. Neither will Jack, Luiz or Mings. 

I think McGinn will but I'd just then give it to which new CB we sign if he dosen't. We did that with Elphick then Chester and then Terry when they all joined.

Hourihane would be a fair bit down the list.

Â