Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

He hinders the attack tbh.  

He hinders the whole frickin team and does so every time he plays. He just cops out of taking any responsibility and constantly offloads cowardly nothing passes sideways and backwards. We go nowhere until he is out of the team !

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KHV said:

He was an attacking midfielder at Barnsley, that's his position and where he should be played. He is an attacking midfielder/playmaker in the final third. His ability to strike on goal and put a great ball in the mixer is what he is about.

He needs runners around him as he did at Barnsley, he needs two McGinn type players with him. He is a goal threat and a creator of chances, probably our biggest threat from the middle of the park in an attacking sense. 

Problem we have currently is that Whelan can only play 45 mins, Jedinaks legs have gone, Lansbury is a raspberry ripple, Carrol is injured. We don't actually have a 3 man midfield to put together. 

Add in to the fact Adomah has gone to shit, Kodjia has gone to shit, El Ghazi has gone to shit then when we don't have the ball we are basically relying on Mings, Elphick and McGinn to defend as Hutton and Taylor have all the positional sense of a cluster of blind hedgehogs in a bag.

Yet the guy has absolutely no forward pass in him.

46 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

So who is the new scapegoat because we’re average?

There aren’t any scapegoats. Hourihane just seems to be the player that divides more than the others. That’s what a forum is all about - differing viewpoints. 

• Like 1

There was a core group of that Barnsley team, hourihane, hamill, winall, and bree who just seemed to carry momentum into the championship from their league one playoff winning final. That can happen. They all made each other look good really. Conor is not good. Clearly. Sunderland seen it and hey fair play to him for going all the way down to Plymouth and building himself up again. But it's borne more out of effort than any discernable footballing ability. Watching a bit of this match here and stieperman is a lefty too but my god his footballing brain, ability, and bravery on the ball is night and day with hourihane. And stieperman is probably a championship player. So.....hourihane?

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

This guy literally cannot pass and I think he might be made of wind. I’m done with his losing of the ball and his signature low cross with his left foot into nothingness.

houri.png

Just the 8th highest pass completion rate in the championship but no, can't pass, you're right. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

houri.png

Just the 8th highest pass completion rate in the championship but no, can't pass, you're right. 

Regardless of the stats this guy just kills attacking opportunities and can’t hold his own in any midfield battle. His set pieces also seem to have become awful. I’m sure his sideways and backwards passing are just fine and help his stats a lot. If we want to improve, he needs to be replaced. 

• Like 1

In the last 4 games, he's got 3 assists which were all from set pieces IIRC. How is that awful? 

The only thing that you said that holds any truth is that he doesn't hold his own as a CM. I agree with that entirely but to make up a load of rubbish because you don't like him as a player is completely pointless. 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2019 at 16:53, lexicon said:

In the last 4 games, he's got 3 assists which were all from set pieces IIRC. How is that awful? 

The only thing that you said that holds any truth is that he doesn't hold his own as a CM. I agree with that entirely but to make up a load of rubbish because you don't like him as a player is completely pointless. 

I think its more of a case that unless he has a free kick to take....his affect on the game is nondescript.

If you watch him carefully, without the ball he is a horror show, he is more passive, than passive....when he has it he is powder puff.

Its for sure, he wasn't as bad as he is lately, the bottom has completely dropped out of his game.....sadly for us, he is not the only one....but 3 or 4 is too many to carry, its affecting the good guys now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, poitier said:

How can a central midfielder have so few touches of the ball in a game, it defies logic. Wasn't it something like 12 touches in the first half?

not being rude....but have you watched him...his confidence is shot.

He doesn't force the opposition in to any errors, much like most of them.

I am always dubious when a new manager comes in and it all goes well.

I like to see a manager react when things are not going so well.

We have tried the manager changing thing....We have to allow him a few windows and a summer to get this right.

I do not expect sweeping changes from **** football to man city type football.....I would like to see Dean achieve a gradual improvement where progress on the pitch can be seen even if it is slow but importantly diliberate and identifiable

The desperation needs to be taken out of our attempts to progress and the constant reference to the league positions.

Until we can play properly the league table is a constant source of frustration.

We are not going up playing like this and probably not going down either, so the league placing is irrelevant until we can play properly and then expect to do something.

Edited by TRO

Â