Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

5 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Genuine question. Who would we miss more, hourihane and his measurable output,  or mcginn and his commitment/ harrying etc. 

I think McGinn has been a revelation this season, and would not be surprised to see him getting a lot more measurable output in the coming weeks (he’s been very close to scoring a number of times of late), so would probably go with him if I had to pick. However, this is no slight on Conor - even taking into account the fact he has some goals/assists from set pieces (not sure of exact number), his output from DM is absolutely great, and is so far away from all those years where we had one striker (various different players) getting all the goals and if he didn’t score, we didn’t score.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Genuine question. Who would we miss more, hourihane and his measurable output,  or mcginn and his commitment/ harrying etc. 

McGinn by a **** mile. 

Hourihane has been better the past couple of games but really still not great at all.

Well with Hourihane in the team, we made the playoffs, so I'd say he is just as crucial as Grealish. 

McGinn's hustle and hard work goes a long way too. Since Conor doesn't really dribble or attack defenders, we need someone who can do that. That is why Grealish is so good. McGinn is like a mix of Jack and Conor in that aspect. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

Well with Hourihane in the team, we made the playoffs, so I'd say he is just as crucial as Grealish

Not even close for me. The last three games have highlighted how crucial Grealish is for us.

Fair play to Hourihane for actually being bothered to get into the box against Swansea though - normally he just sits outside it.

Just now, bobzy said:

Fair play to Hourihane for actually being bothered to get into the box against Swansea though - normally he just sits outside it.

This statement is so silly. That is Hourihane's job. Why aren't you getting mad about how little Whelan gets into the box, or Hutton, or hell even Nyland?? 

Hourihane has one of the most accurate shots so he needs to be outside the box where he can do more damage. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

McGinn.

But Hourihane is still a top player for this level and I don't understand how people can think he's shit.

52 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

This statement is so silly. That is Hourihane's job. Why aren't you getting mad about how little Whelan gets into the box, or Hutton, or hell even Nyland?? 

Hourihane has one of the most accurate shots so he needs to be outside the box where he can do more damage. 

How is it a silly statement? Almost everytime he gets forward, he stops at the edge of the box. He won’t break into it. Maybe it’s a tactical thing, who knows. 

The accuracy thing is odd too. Most of his long range shots (because that’s what he does) are off target. He’s incredibly frustrating - but better over the last couple of games. 

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Well with Hourihane in the team, we made the playoffs, so I'd say he is just as crucial as Grealish. 

I disagree.

Grealish and McGinn a couple of levels up from Hourihane.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The number of goals and assists hourihane has in a villa shirt is extremely impressive - add to that his set piece delivery and I think he is underestimated if anything by many . 

As I’ve said many times, his set pieces are awesome - but that’s, basically, his main weapon.

Getting goals and assists is, ultimately, what’s needed in football. Hourihane is probably quite a distance ahead in both categories compared to Grealish - but we all know which player is more pivotal to the way we play. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Unless that’s a choice we have to make, it’s not a genuine question. At present I don’t want to lose either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Good question. Hourihane for me for his passing ability and his goal scoring. 

McGinn has much more potential, currently both are really useful players and I like them both. 

I think it is difficult to drop Hourihane, because he's got a good record or scoring and assisting goals. He was great yesterday. 

Stat on the BBC:

• Since making his debut in January 2017, Conor Hourihane has been directly involved in more league goals (27) than any other Villa player (16 goals, 11 assists).

Fantastic player, and as has been said offers something different to McGinn and Grealish. The best midfield trio in the Championship sit in front of possibly the worst defence.

• Like 2

Â