Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Anak Krakatoa is passive in comparison to McGinn.

wrong terminology for a volcano.....active or dormont.....but i get your point.

I am not saying they should all be like him, but they should have a bit of that in them......most teams we come across pursuing the top spots, do.

They were like a pack of dogs at times, even when they were 2-0 down.....we have to emulate a bit of that too.

our lot are the architect of their own demise at times....you could see DS was far from happy.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

They were like a pack of dogs at times, even when they were 2-0 down.....we have to emulate a bit of that too.

I thought that for the opening twenty minutes of the first half and the opening fifteen of the second half, we pressed them better than they pressed us. In the end they were smarter with it - but I thought whilst McGinn is exceptional at it - Hourihane, Whelan and the forwards worked their socks off.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought that for the opening twenty minutes of the first half and the opening fifteen of the second half, we pressed them better than they pressed us. In the end they were smarter with it - but I thought whilst McGinn is exceptional at it - Hourihane, Whelan and the forwards worked their socks off.

I would say 10 - 15 minutes in the second half, but yes I was surprised too with the way they cam out.....think they run out of gas, they looked fitter.

Lets be fair here....The real damage was that first goal and it was defendable.....so for 57 minutes we were well and truly in the game, I still think they showed more tenacity in their work than us, we just showed clinical finishing.

I don't think Whelan or to a lesser degree Hourihane have the quickness of feet to be ratting and they don't have the ball control either.

On one on ones we get don't come out with the ball like opposing teams do or McGinn does.....We need a good defensive midfielder to release Whelan and Jedinak.

to have the option against a top side to play a possible 2 in front of defence.

I remember Arsenal with Viera and Petit,Leeds with Giles and Bremner, I remember Liverpool with Case and Souness, I remember us with Bremner and Mortimer....but of course they could do more than just defend....The 2 in the middle have to compete and get in amongst the bullets flying.

Hourihane is more like a poor mans Platt or Cowans or Ian Taylor.

Maybe I am expecting him to do, what someone else should be doing.

ps I am not saying players don't work hard, but they need to get closer and more physical, when closing down, a few tactical fouls wouldn't hurt at times, others are doing it....we need to be more street wise.....our players are carrying knocks and digs as a result they are as fresh as a daisy.

Edited by TRO

On 24/12/2018 at 20:13, TRO said:

I would say 10 - 15 minutes in the second half, but yes I was surprised too with the way they cam out.....think they run out of gas, they looked fitter.

Lets be fair here....The real damage was that first goal and it was defendable.....so for 57 minutes we were well and truly in the game, I still think they showed more tenacity in their work than us, we just showed clinical finishing.

I don't think Whelan or to a lesser degree Hourihane have the quickness of feet to be ratting and they don't have the ball control either.

On one on ones we get don't come out with the ball like opposing teams do or McGinn does.....We need a good defensive midfielder to release Whelan and Jedinak.

to have the option against a top side to play a possible 2 in front of defence.

I remember Arsenal with Viera and Petit,Leeds with Giles and Bremner, I remember Liverpool with Case and Souness, I remember us with Bremner and Mortimer....but of course they could do more than just defend....The 2 in the middle have to compete and get in amongst the bullets flying.

Hourihane is more like a poor mans Platt or Cowans or Ian Taylor.

Maybe I am expecting him to do, what someone else should be doing.

ps I am not saying players don't work hard, but they need to get closer and more physical, when closing down, a few tactical fouls wouldn't hurt at times, others are doing it....we need to be more street wise.....our players are carrying knocks and digs as a result they are as fresh as a daisy.

I don't agree with tactical fouls, they ruin a game and we ourselves have contained so much about it already this season I'm the championship.

Past few games has been a complete different player, hope he continues because he does have potential. We need some of our players to rise through the fire to become the players we need them to be.

They are going to have to play better, because i feel that Smith has a very big to sell list and to buy list.

Glad Houricane scored.

Thought he had a slightly deeper role today. Felt like bit more of a 4231 instead of usual 433. McGinn very much the main man going forward in general play.

Loads of pressing. More ball carrying. A goal.

Excellent.

It's almost like people aren't allowed to comment on a player without sarcastic responses.

I like him as a player. I just feel like he has another gear in his locker which is chooses not to use. Never seems to bust a gut for the team he just seems to coast. Having said that he does provide a good amount of goals and assists so I guess it's kind of excusable. I think if he had even 20% of the grit that McGinn provides that he'd probably be playing at a higher level than he is now so i guess it's somewhat of a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1

I guess his goals alone plays him in.

but it has already been talked about on here of moments of brilliance that win games....we have that.

what we don't have is the energy, tenacity and urgency that Leeds showed ....Teams in this league, particularly at the top, do have it.

Today, only McGinn was challenging and forcing issues and not at his real best....Whelan and Hourihane were just picking up loose balls, intercepting ( pick pocketing) and generally shadowing the opposition, its only because they were poor we got away with it.

McGinn needs help at least one more to do what he does.

I think/know we can get away with Hourihane, because he contributes through goals, whelan is just passive, too old too slow.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I don't agree with tactical fouls, they ruin a game and we ourselves have contained so much about it already this season I'm the championship.

Neither do I, and I don't agree with simulation either, I don't agree with crowding the ref on decisions...I don't agree with elbows.

but I do agree with fight Fire with Fire.....give as good as you get.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Thought he had a slightly deeper role today. Felt like bit more of a 4231 instead of usual 433. McGinn very much the main man going forward in general play.

Loads of pressing. More ball carrying. A goal.

Excellent.

Dean Smith in the post match said it did not necessarily start that way, however he asked him to sit deeper due to the course of play.

Something like that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Has been involved in 11 goals already this season and 13 last season

Are you saying that he has contributed to at least 25 opposition goals in the last 18 months?

I don't have exact stats. But he's been involved in a LOT of opposition goals. Whether being directly at fault, losing his man, being out of position, etc. Often there are multiple people at fault for a goal conceded, so it's not all down to him. But, for example, the Forest game, he was involved in a lot of theirs. He's often a step behind their midfielder runners, positioning is awful off the ball. We'll be a better side when he's replaced and Jack is back IMO. 

Â