Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

36 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Passes off responsibility and the ball quick as he can. Passenger. Scared of getting hurt. He's like the anti-McGinn.

Nice goal. Looked like it went through the keepers hand, only saw it once at half-time.

Yes Leeds keeper should've saved it, was nowhere near in the corner.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think he's playing pretty well at the moment - he covers a lot of ground, closes players down and links things together pretty well - he's not as pretty doing it as Grealish and he doesn't get you out of your seat with that bit of fight that McGinn has, but I think he's in good form right now.

Always enjoy reading your player assessments post match but have to disagree today. His strikes from set pieces are among the best in the league but his overall influence on the game was minimal today, nice finish aside. First touch often lets him down and his decision making is poor. Needed him to step up in the absence of Grealish but the reverse was true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

Always enjoy reading your player assessments post match but have to disagree today. His strikes from set pieces are among the best in the league but his overall influence on the game was minimal today, nice finish aside. First touch often lets him down and his decision making is poor. Needed him to step up in the absence of Grealish but the reverse was true.

i never thought he closed anyone down, well taken goal, but that's what masks his performances....passive in comparison to McGinn.

See Adam Forshaw.....that's what closing down and ratting is.

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Got a goal and played the key pass for the first goal.

Much bigger problems to worry about than him!

He's a key pass machine this guy.

Another KPI he fills well while avoiding responsibility.

I don’t understand. With Hourihane on the field, we score. Both the goals he either scored or set up, and yet he should be doing more! 

Come on Conor, you need to score 3 a game and play like Kante defensively or else you’re shit.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I don’t understand. With Hourihane on the field, we score. Both the goals he either scored or set up, and yet he should be doing more! 

Come on Conor, you need to score 3 a game and play like Kante defensively or else you’re shit.

He's terrified of responsibility.

Again today a couple of times, ball at feet, loads of space to charge into. Things will open up in front of him. But for whatever reason, just the shovel the ball off as quickly as it can it seems, he plays it early. Clips hopeful balls to no one so he isn't challenged.

That's just on the a ball. Soft touch off it.

If he scores three a game, he can get away with his current form yes.

Good chance for him to start scoring in the upcoming easier fixtures. I'd drop him for trips to Elland/Carrow Road, places like that.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's terrified of responsibility.

Again today a couple of times, ball at feet, loads of space to charge into. Things will open up in front of him. But for whatever reason, just the shovel the ball off as quickly as it can it seems, he plays it early. Clips hopeful balls to no one so he isn't challenged.

That's just on the a ball. Soft touch off it.

If he scores three a game, he can get away with his current form yes.

Good chance for him to start scoring in the upcoming easier fixtures. I'd drop him for trips to Elland/Carrow Road, places like that.

That is not how Conor plays. Conor isn’t Grealish. Some players just don’t like to run with the ball. Even if you give Conor 10 yards, he doesn’t dribble into it because Conor isn’t a dribbler. We’ve know this, so don’t be surprised when he doesn’t dribble. 

What makes Conor effective is his passing ability, his set pieces, and he can pop up with goals every few matches. Don’t try to turn him into a player he is not nor will he be. Conor has been successful at what he does. Just because he doesn’t suit our team perfectly, doesn’t make him shit. Either learn to adjust with him in the team, or don’t play him. I’d rather have Conor on the field than Lansbury, Whelan, or Thor. We look so much better offensively with him, but I know he does expose us defensively. That’s why McGinn needs to be more aware defensively when they are the center mids. If he can’t do that, you can’t play both of them. 

I do however agree with potentially dropping him for the tough matches even if we have a DM. Conor isn’t a #10 with our set up, so if he is pushed there, it won’t work against the top clubs in this division.

Edited by Czechlad
  • Like 2

Hourihane gets some harsh treatment on here.

Yet again he affected the game in the final 3rd and played a key role in both goals.

It's also difficult to see how he was responsible for any of the goals we conceded yesterday.

I don't really know what people expect from him, he isn't all action like McGinn and he isn't a ball carrier like grealish, and he isn't a stopper like whelan, But he reads the game keeps the ball moving and makes important(result affecting) contributions almost every game despite being understated.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Czechlad said:

That is not how Conor plays. Conor isn’t Grealish. Some players just don’t like to run with the ball. Even if you give Conor 10 yards, he doesn’t dribble into it because Conor isn’t a dribbler. We’ve know this, so don’t be surprised when he doesn’t dribble. 

What makes Conor effective is his passing ability, his set pieces, and he can pop up with goals every few matches. Don’t try to turn him into a player he is not nor will he be. Conor has been successful at what he does. Just because he doesn’t suit our team perfectly, doesn’t make him shit. Either learn to adjust with him in the team, or don’t play him. I’d rather have Conor on the field than Lansbury, Whelan, or Thor. We look so much better offensively with him, but I know he does expose us defensively. That’s why McGinn needs to be more aware defensively when they are the center mids. If he can’t do that, you can’t play both of them. 

I do however agree with potentially dropping him for the tough matches even if we have a DM. Conor isn’t a #10 with our set up, so if he is pushed there, it won’t work against the top clubs in this division.

I know he can't carry it like Grealish round players, but I think a central midfielder should be able to carry it 20 yards into open space and then go from there.

He should realise we're massively up against it and have hardly had the ball and this is a good chance, not knock it away straight away as soon as he has the ball in an advanced position in case he's the one to lose it. He shovels off responsibility at every opportunity.

We've got some easier fixtures coming up anyway so his performances will improve as soon as the pressure is off.

He's not crap. Which is why I want him to do more when Grealish isn't around. I wouldn't expect Glenn Whelan to be creating us chances.

Edited by Tomaszk

13 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

He seems to split fans opinion of him, pops up with goals and assists though.

13 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

He seems to split fans opinion of him, pops up with goals and assists though.

• Haha 2

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle with Hourihane so it's easy to see why he splits opinion. You can't really argue with his numbers, and with him in the team it's just a fact that we're far more likely to score than if he weren't, but at the same time the game really can pass him by for long periods and because of the quite pivotal position he plays in that can be conversely detrimental.

Yesterday was a perfect example - starts the game on fire with an assist and a goal, but then disappeared into his shell a bit, when you're at the game it becomes especially noticeable that it's been about half an hour and you can't remember the last time he touched the ball. Not just because it involves Grealish being in the team also, but I think we and him are better when he plays in that deeper role, it forces him to get on the ball more  and I think even if we sacrifice a bit of his goal threat further up the pitch we tick along much better as a team in possession.

Played a load of great passes (for the 1st goal and the 1st touch pass to Bolasie who was asleep and screwed up the chance), scored and went missing at times.

He doesn't totally avoid responsibility but he isn't all action either.

Good for where we are, won't be good enough for where we want to be.

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

(for the 1st goal and the 1st touch pass to Bolasie who was asleep and screwed up the chance)

The one in the second half? Pretty sure that was McGinn, was a lovely ball. I agree with the rest of what you said about Conor though.

12 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Hourihane gets some harsh treatment on here.

Yet again he affected the game in the final 3rd and played a key role in both goals.

It's also difficult to see how he was responsible for any of the goals we conceded yesterday.

I don't really know what people expect from him, he isn't all action like McGinn and he isn't a ball carrier like grealish, and he isn't a stopper like whelan, But he reads the game keeps the ball moving and makes important(result affecting) contributions almost every game despite being understated.

I get your point and I don't think anyone is giving him harsh treatment, to be honest...just highlighting weaknesses in the team.....we all know where the main ones are.

You are right, he does pop up with goals and its a huge fillip to have that in your team....He is a weapon, but critics could deem him as a luxury player too.....I would suspect when we get the defence sorted out, his " Luxury play " ( if that's fair) will be easier to accept....Leeds were ratting every time we got on the ball, they would pounce on us disrupted our rhythm and Dean is right, when we did press them, they tactically and subtly fouled us....they are not the only team to do that, and they do get away with it in this league....but we conversely do not have enough players to do like wise.....so we stand off in the main and let them play.

Edited by TRO

Â