Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Agree with these comments, I thought he was awful today.  Didn't show for the ball, didn't carry it, didn't pass forward, terrible corners and when he had acres to move into at the end he chose not to take the responsibility and played a shite pass.

And yet if you read the post match thread he was excellent.

First half he was given lots of licence to move forward, was popping up on the right loads of times. Problem with Hourihane is he disappears so often in general play you only then see him again if we have a FK 25 yards out or a corner. He's like Sidwell was a decade ago.

Joe Allen showed him today what a top quality box to box midfielder in the championship plays like.

• Like 2

All players have off days.....but when you do, put your put in, body check, chase and harry....be a bloody nuisance to them that fancy it, in the opposition

He is another Andy Blair for me , those that can remember that far back.

I think some call them luxury players.

Edited by TRO

I've said it before Hourihane is a lot better when he plays the deeper role and dictates the play. He has a great passing range and helps to break up the play, but box to box he goes missing.

Whelan and Hourihane together doesn't work, but yesterday Whelan was the better of the two.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I've said it before Hourihane is a lot better when he plays the deeper role and dictates the play. He has a great passing range and helps to break up the play, but box to box he goes missing.

Whelan and Hourihane together doesn't work, but yesterday Whelan was the better of the two.

Granted he can pass a bit, but playing in that deeper role in theory is ok, apart from the fact he doesn't tackle, goes missing and rather than chase people down when someone goes past him or takes the ball off him he just stands there looking at the ref with his arms in the air.

He really is a liability when we don't have the ball, and saying that about our supposed ball playing DM is scary.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

First half he was given lots of licence to move forward, was popping up on the right loads of times. Problem with Hourihane is he disappears so often in general play you only then see him again if we have a FK 25 yards out or a corner. He's like Sidwell was a decade ago.

Joe Allen showed him today what a top quality box to box midfielder in the championship plays like.

But in fairness he could easily play for most bottom half premier league sides, Hourihane is no where near that good.

I don't dislike the player, but he is of a certain type....I think he lacks attributes to be a complete midfielder.

• He rarely heads the ball....Its essential for a midfielder to win aerial battles and turn the ball over, it gains territory and sets a marker in the game in terms of initiative.
  • He rarely tackles, so concedes ground to those of a stronger presence, relies on pick pocketing, picking up errors and misplaced passes....tends to be a passive trait.
  • Tends to go missing when we are without the ball, not really attracted to the thick of the action.
  • Has a great left peg and uses it well, in all scenario's
  • has an eye for goal, mainly when playing teams that we are dominating.
  • his passing is ok and feeds the wingers fairly well.
  • He has not got quick feet, more of a gangly nature, this does not help him in tight situations or if being challenged for the ball, tends to be easily relieved of the ball.
  • Not particularly blessed with pace or recovery skills.

I hope that does not character assasinate him, its not my intention, but I do think he is limited.....I would like to see a richer vein of options in the squad to cover more eventualities.

I still think we need a player, who can stop the direct runs through the middle of the park, not sure Whelan and Jedinak are mobile enough or the tenacity to do it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Apart from goals he really adds little in midfield dosen't he?

I thought he was non existant for large parts in midfield. Whelan inevitably getting stick but he was better today, at least he can track back and read the game fairly well.

Hourihane can only be squad player going forward.

I think he's playing pretty well at the moment - he covers a lot of ground, closes players down and links things together pretty well - he's not as pretty doing it as Grealish and he doesn't get you out of your seat with that bit of fight that McGinn has, but I think he's in good form right now.

• Like 1

Passes off responsibility and the ball quick as he can. Passenger. Scared of getting hurt. He's like the anti-McGinn.

Nice goal. Looked like it went through the keepers hand, only saw it once at half-time.

Â