Jump to content
dont_do_it_doug.

Conor Hourihane

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Lost his runner for SHA’s 2nd goal on Sunday and culpable again against Forest. Not a DM and not good enough to displace either Grealish or McGinn. Would happily cash in on him if we could use the money to strengthen other areas.

on the button.

when we face the better sides, he looks short on pitch craft.....He lacks pace too, which is a disadvantage when tracking back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man of the match today. Not a single comment. He was outstanding today. Essential connection between defence and attack. Frees up Jack, let's him affect the game further up the pitch. 

Needs to up his defensive game a lot versus more attacking teams. But he's perfect vs the ones that sit back. Brilliant

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think Smith  definetely had a word in his ear about being more forward thinking with the ball. He passed it forward a lot today when it was on. Can be too one paced and negative at times. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skruff said:

Man of the match today. Not a single comment. He was outstanding today. Essential connection between defence and attack. Frees up Jack, let's him affect the game further up the pitch. 

Needs to up his defensive game a lot versus more attacking teams. But he's perfect vs the ones that sit back. Brilliant

He was good but Boro are not exactly a team that are going to pass through you and cut you open with quick sharp passing straight through the middle.

That is where he struggles and why I would fear seeing him there against footballing sides, he just isn't quick thinking enough on the ball or off it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a good game and put a shift in not motm for me, shame he is so left footed though it slows him down having to switch to his favoured foot all the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With hourihane out and a dm in we will create less chances but be more stable in defense.

But we have to ask ourselves if we want to be more defensive solid or free scoring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was great the other night, hasn't been mentioned enough here.

Think he's been the recipient of some harsh criticism recently, he's just not a specialist defensive player and we're going to have to accept that we're going to be more vulnerable with him there in exchange for being better going forward. He puts an effort in but it's obviously not his game, so it's strange to see him cop so much flak when there were so many calling for a midfield three of him, Jack and McGinn, surely what's happened is what you'd expect from that?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Indigo said:

He was great the other night, hasn't been mentioned enough here.

Think he's been the recipient of some harsh criticism recently, he's just not a specialist defensive player and we're going to have to accept that we're going to be more vulnerable with him there in exchange for being better going forward. He puts an effort in but it's obviously not his game, so it's strange to see him cop so much flak when there were so many calling for a midfield three of him, Jack and McGinn, surely what's happened is what you'd expect from that?

I don't think he was great, nor man of the match.

Played his role well in a dominant performance but he had options flying at him from everywhere. I want to see him be brave on Friday and positive in possession when under pressure.

Still question marks for me. Huge credit to him for racking up very valuable goals and assists so consistently for us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashley Westwood in disguise. Weak in the challenge and always takes the easy option.

Poor poor player. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After about an hour yesterday we were showing nothing in terms of forward passing in the final third.

We were turgid and crying out for someone to drop off a man, get on the ball, get on the turn and get a ball into our wide players. I was waiting for Hourhane to do that. I watched him for a good 5-10 minutes.
He didn't do it once. Purposely made sure he never got the ball. I wouldn't have minded as much if he got caught on the ball or was trying to force something and giving it away.

It was the total lack of bollocks that was the sad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

After about an hour yesterday we were showing nothing in terms of forward passing in the final third.

 

Have I entered a time warp? 😘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, av1 said:

Ashley Westwood in disguise. Weak in the challenge and always takes the easy option.

Poor poor player. 

Westwood would shine sitting in this midfield with this setup. He was the only player willing to get on the ball in those dark days.

Standard Hourihane today. Filled the role, didn't overt exert. Hid and passed off responsibility.

I can't believe that chance at the end. Why on earth didn't he drive into the box more?! So much space in front of him. It all would have opened up even more and he could have either shot himself or be laying it off to someone else who would be there for an effort from around the pen spot.

Some nice runs forward into space, a key part of Smith's system which whoever is in that forward midfield role does. Great setup and coaching from Deano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having been very critical of Hourihane and my opinion he's only useful on set pieces for quite some time now, I was curious to see if all my armchair watching meant I missed the influence he brings to a game.  Today, for the first time in a while, I was at the ground.

He is **** awful and, today, his set pieces were awful too.

@Tomaszk is completely correct with the chance at the end.  He had loads of space to move into, but hit some weird early cross-shot thing which was terrible.

Just garbage.  Bin him off and put Grealish and McGinn on set pieces.  We'll lose out on maybe half a dozen goals/assists from set plays over a season but we'll be far better as a team for it.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roadoftrinity said:

What did McGinn do today that put him above Hourihan?

That I noticed, he carried the ball forward, showed for it in awkward positions (sometimes this didn't work and his turns meant he got tackled) and generally found the forwards with his passing.

McGinn had a very average game by his standards - particularly second half - but had more influence in our midfield than Conor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...
Â