Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, bobzy said:

Might be this.  He took the goal well, but I thought he was poor overall tonight.  Seemed frustrated and not-arsed but did improve in the last... maybe 10 minutes.  Maybe when he played higher up.

He isn’t a holding player.

Bruce has all midfielders sitting in and hitting the flanks. Predictable and old school.

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

Might be this.  He took the goal well, but I thought he was poor overall tonight.  Seemed frustrated and not-arsed but did improve in the last... maybe 10 minutes.  Maybe when he played higher up.

I don't agree with the not arsed bit, he worked hard and tried to put himself about a bit, despite it not being his natural game and made some decent tackles.

He was a touch lucky, because a few minutes after being booked, he caught one of theirs late, on the edge of the box, but ref played advantage. Had he stopped play, he'd have had a decision to make, because it was worse than the booking. 

Hes clearly lacking confidence still, there were a few times when he immediately released the ball, but the opportunity to turn and carry was there. 

For me, he needs to be in between our midfield and the opposition back four. Picking up the ball 20/30 yards from goal. With that wand of a left foot, he's capable of opening teams up for us and scoring goals from midfield. 

Needs an arm round his shoulder, somebody telling him how good he is and a run of games in the right position. 

• Like 1

Obviously not as good but he reminds me of Barry. Barry was at his best when he was given license to get forward and help out Young on the left hand side. Hourihane gets in good positions and can spread the play well. Don't get him chasing the ball for 75 minutes before you let him do that though.

I'd prefer just to see him given a box to box role which is clearly what he is. Same for Onomah, never a 10 in my view. Wants the game intront of him not receiving the ball with his back to goal or more accurately receiving the ball on his head! 

I don't like all this "once he was 'allowed' to go forward, he was much better" stuff.

The only reason he was 'allowed' to go forward was because Reading sat further back and allowed us on the ball for 15 minutes because they know the games won as we don't score many goals.  It wasn't a decision made by management, is my point.

We simply must be prepared to attack teams, and push forward.  

If we think pace is a problem against us, well then we haven't recruited very well have we? 

I like him, I really hope he comes good.  I believe there is a good player in there who will work hard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I don't like all this "once he was 'allowed' to go forward, he was much better" stuff.

The only reason he was 'allowed' to go forward was because Reading sat further back and allowed us on the ball for 15 minutes because they know the games won as we don't score many goals.  It wasn't a decision made by management, is my point.

We simply must be prepared to attack teams, and push forward.  

If we think pace is a problem against us, well then we haven't recruited very well have we? 

I like him, I really hope he comes good.  I believe there is a good player in there who will work hard. 

Agree to an extent. It really annoyed me that we gave Reading so much respect. We have probably the 2nd best squad in the Champ and Reading were on a bad run. We should have took the game to them. You don't see Man Utd go to Burnley and sit back because they play good football. It is ludicrous. Our centre backs were too deep and we were waiting till they got in our half to close them down. We had 2 to 3 minute spell where we closed them down and they made plenty of mistakes. It's not exactly rocket science. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Agree to an extent. It really annoyed me that we gave Reading so much respect. We have probably the 2nd best squad in the Champ and Reading were on a bad run. We should have took the game to them. You don't see Man Utd go to Burnley and sit back because they play good football. It is ludicrous. Our centre backs were too deep and we were waiting till they got in our half to close them down. We had 2 to 3 minute spell where we closed them down and they made plenty of mistakes. It's not exactly rocket science. 

It was incredible. 

We turned up to reading like a team that didn't think it could compete. 

• Like 1

I thought Hourihane was decent yesterday but he looks like the player that is being restricted the most by Bruce's tactics to me. Seems to have something about him that we haven't seen much more than Lansbury for me.

Also liked the fact that he (and Johnstone) made the effort to come right over to applaud and acknowledge the fans at the end of the game as opposed to others who half heartedly clapped and disappeared. 

21 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It was incredible. 

We turned up to reading like a team that didn't think it could compete. 

Bruce has buttered Reading  up as though they were Real Madrid - pathetic weak management ! 

Nice to see hourihane score - he has goals in him if used properly.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

Â