Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Its got to the point where he is a liability. Only in kids football have I seen a player so easily out-muscled and his free kick ability nowhere near compensates for his physical weaknesses. I genuinely think if you pulled a fan out of the crowd hey could do what Hourihane does  - take a touch and then pass it back to a centre half or full abck. 

He’s been a liability for ages. People saying he’s “out of form” are wrong - this is how he plays. The difference is that he is (currently) not saving himself/the team with set pieces.

I didn’t watch the game and would be disappointed (but not at all shocked) with or “fans” booing any of our players, but he simply shouldn’t be a starting midfielder. Unfortunately, with McGinn’s 2 game ban in place, he will need to be for coming games.

Makes the fans reaction even more **** stupid. 

I would respect him more if he had just had a mare the past few weeks, if he was getting caught on the ball, demanding the ball and getting caught out by a press I would forgive him, if he was just a bit too slow of thought or execution. If he was getting done and committing silly foul after silly foul I would forgive him, it's not his position and it is not his job. I would think he was shit but at least I would respect him.

The guy is pathetic.

I thought the cheers at his substitution were a combination of A) Smith making a change, which was clearly necessary B. it being Ramsey i.e. excitement of youth getting a chance C) admittedly, ironic for Hourihane going off. 

I felt that it was then directed more at him as he proceeded to stroll the 50 yards off the pitch. That wound up those around me. Putting his own bad performance ahead of the team.

45 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I would respect him more if he had just had a mare the past few weeks, if he was getting caught on the ball, demanding the ball and getting caught out by a press 

This happened week after week after week to Westwood.

He'd show for the ball, have nowhere to go as cowards like Hourihane ran away from him, and he'd usually lose it.

Give me that over hiding every day. A player in that mould would excel for us now.

• Like 3

9 assists, 4 goals, best passing percentage, second most "key passes" after Jack. That's just this season. Last season first midfielder to reach double figures in goals for Villa since Platt. Yeah, he must be awfull.

3 minutes ago, Pelle said:

9 assists, 4 goals, best passing percentage, second most "key passes" after Jack. That's just this season. Last season first midfielder to reach double figures in goals for Villa since Platt. Yeah, he must be awfull.

Yes indeed sir, absolutely garbage.

Hopefully people look at those stats and offer us some money for him.

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

This happened week after week after week to Westwood.

He'd show for the ball, have nowhere to go as cowards like Hourihane ran away from him, and he'd usually lose it.

Give me that over hiding every day. A player in that mould would excel for us now.

Westwood played with his head up. Hourihane plays with his back to goal and only ever passes forward if there are acres of space. He's too scared to take a risk and misplace the ball. 

On 19/02/2019 at 21:06, Pelle said:

I’ve always found it difficult to understand our fans. Players can be terrible for years (Hutton being an example) but are worshipped by the fans. Then you get the likes of Hourihane, bought for a small fee and has performed well (by no means exceptionally well, but us done in generaly ok) gets such abuse from fans. 

I think sometimes people want to blame someone for defeats and he’s the target at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 19/02/2019 at 21:06, Pelle said:

Football isn't played in spreadsheets, those 'stats' do not give the full picture I'm afraid.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Football isn't played in spreadsheets, those 'stats' do not give the full picture I'm afraid.

Of course it doesn't. He's not perfect. He's no Messi or Ronaldo. He's defensively weak, first of all, and that's why he's an attacking midfielder. He's a bit too slow too. He won't fit in the PL. But he's far better than many seems to think. I mean, to say that our most creative midfielder (That's what the stats really shows) is a problem is just wrong. Without him I'm quite sure we'd be even further down in the league, especially last year. What it doesn't say is that he's played out of position. If we play him, McGinn and Whelan in the absence of Grealish I'd say let him be in front of the other two. McGinn is an overall much better player, especially in defending and working hard.

• Like 2

Said it before his assists are too hard to ignore regardless of his in game play. If we threw him on wing just to avoid open play he be grand for few assists

Be like Ian Harte at Leeds, shocking player but great at set pieces

Probably a bit late now for him but really would have been beneficial if he bulked up just a bit. He gets bullied and he cannot or will not receive balls in tight areas because he has the physicality of a piece of soggu bread.

He covers ground but I wouldn't exactly call him mobile so not sure what he would stand to lose.

On 19/02/2019 at 22:22, Merson08 said:

In fairness of all the players we have signed hes a player we could turn a profit on.

Make of that what you will.

I wouldn't be confident of that. I can't see there being a queue of teams lining up to sign him.

Doesn't get mentioned unless he has a poor game. Did well today, put in some sliding tackles, quite a solid defensive contribution in total. Looks like he's trying to improve that side of his game, which is encouraging. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Always available for the ball yesterday, much improved performance.

It must be hard for him at vp currently knowing that everything bad will be pounced on. The tendency to hide must be overwhelming at times.

Â