Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Watch him on Forest's 2nd. Carvalho starts his run 5 yards inside his own half, and was clearly Hourihane's man to mark.

He never bothered to get closer than 5 yards to him, just let him run all the way completely unchallenged. Then he had the cheek to turn around and moan at his teammates.

A very poor game from him last night.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Poor performance again. He's a decent but limited player - let's not forget the fact we bought him from Barnsley and not Barcelona! 

but lets not forget :

• Maddison came from Coventry
  • Vardy from Fleetwood
  • Marriot from Peterborogh
  • Lolley ( originally) Kidderminster
  • Dack from Gillingham

and the list goes on.

its no excuse is my point.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, andym said:

Watch him on Forest's 2nd. Carvalho starts his run 5 yards inside his own half, and was clearly Hourihane's man to mark.

He never bothered to get closer than 5 yards to him, just let him run all the way completely unchallenged. Then he had the cheek to turn around and moan at his teammates.

A very poor game from him last night.

its work rate.....its about putting a shift in and bothering your **se.

We have players that work like Trojans....and others that just stand around and watch them.

Its one of the reasons we struggle for consistency.

I think if you’re going to play Conor Hourihane DM a man who has scored 21 goals and had 22 assists in the league during the last 2.5 yrs it’s fair to say that it’s an attacking move and might end up unbalancing you somewhat. 

For me I don’t think he played that bad, sure he could have done better on one or two of the goals but Grealish and McGinn were both so advanced he got left really exposed and done by some of their pacy players through the middle. His range of passing pisses all over B.B., Whelan and Jedi as you’d expect it should. Over and over he was finding the ball through to Jack and McGinn and allowed us to pretty much dominate the game. 

Is he Kante? no never will be but he’s really contributing to some lovely flowing stuff that in my view will blow more teams away than not. Forest scoring every chance they got was a freak game in my view and we still should have won it. 

I’ll stick with Conor right now for sure I haven’t enjoyed watching Villa this much in years. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think if you’re going to play Conor Hourihane DM a man who has scored 21 goals and had 22 assists in the league during the last 2.5 yrs it’s fair to say that it’s an attacking move and might end up unbalancing you somewhat. 

For me I don’t think he played that bad, sure he could have done better on one or two of the goals but Grealish and McGinn we both so advanced he got left really exposed and done by some of their pacy players through the middle. His range of passing pisses all over B.B., Whelan and Jedi as you’d expect he should, over and over he was finding the ball through to Jack and McGinn and allowed us to pretty much dominate the game. 

Is he Kante no never will be but he’s really contributing to some lovely flowing stuff that in my view will blow more teams away than not. Forest scoring every chance they got was a freak game in my view and we still should have won it. 

I’ll stick with Conor right now for sure I haven’t enjoyed watching Villa this much in years. 

its hard to argue with that.....but we have to remember, most of the players doing the biz are loaners.

We have to get out of this division so we need points, so we need wins.

I think one good things is, it shouldn't cost us that much to make the right improvements in Jan....The expensive type players we already have.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

but lets not forget :

• Maddison came from Coventry
  • Vardy from Fleetwood
  • Marriot from Peterborogh
  • Lolley ( originally) Kidderminster
  • Dack from Gillingham

and the list goes on.

its no excuse is my point.

Are these exceptions? Rather than the rule? The list that didn't set the world alight would be much larger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merson08 said:

Are these exceptions? Rather than the rule? The list that didn't set the world alight would be much larger.

Of course we can choose individuals to illustrate our argument, i.e John Stones from Barnsley or players that have left and not amounted to much. However, I think the overarching point is that it doesn’t matter where you’ve come from but rather where you’re going. We judge Hourihane on his performances here in isolation, given the time he’s been here, regardless of coming from Barnsley or Barcelona. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merson08 said:

of course it would....but its only my list, with no research just off the top of my head.....don't take it literally, it is just an example.....other folk will have lots more examples

59 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Off topic sort of, but I did notice that McGinn was even further up the field than Grealish on numerous occasions. Hourihane was constantly the only one in the middle and was outnumbered. 

managers can gesticulate and get players to change what they are doing.....plus half time is an opportunity for correction.

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Off topic sort of, but I did notice that McGinn was even further up the field than Grealish on numerous occasions. Hourihane was constantly the only one in the middle and was outnumbered. 

He often is to be honest I just don’t think he had the legs to get back as he usually does. He looked 70% fit to me but still contributed like the warrior and excellent footballer that he is. 

He has a wonderful left foot. He has no right foot.

It halves his ability and doubles his time on the ball to take passes from angles on the pitch so he can get it onto his left hand side. I don't think I've ever seen him do a one touch pass with his right foot, which, in that deeper position you need as you're the one  expected to dictate the pace of the game when in possession. 

Lost his runner for SHA’s 2nd goal on Sunday and culpable again against Forest. Not a DM and not good enough to displace either Grealish or McGinn. Would happily cash in on him if we could use the money to strengthen other areas.

• Like 3

On 29/11/2018 at 13:50, Khizzy said:

Poor performance again. He's a decent but limited player - let's not forget the fact we bought him from Barnsley and not Barcelona! 

This. He's an okay championship player but isn't good enough for the top flight. Would be hoping he would be sold and replaced if we got promoted. 

Â