Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

My thoughts on Hourihane.

I really rate is technical ability and his workrate.

He is one of my favourite villians however..

We have a system within our midfield three. 

1 - Engine - McGinn

2 - Creative - Grealish

3 - Glue i.e holding player and retainer

The 3 position is difficult because we need someone that can win the ball, and retain possession with a variety of range in passing.

Now against lesser teams it does not necessarily matter but better against opposition it does.

Honestly I feel that Hourihane and Mcginn should be competing for the same position.

Bjarnason is a player that suits that third position well at this level and we are missing him.

complete agreed with this statement... that why i think about Doyle-Hayes for that 3rd man in midfield until Bjarnason is a back in squad with full fitness to replace him we cant afford slow man with defensive ability like whelan as we need quick players to closed down, and good passing abilty.

• Like 2

Relieved to see more questioning him.

I was starting to feel like Frank Grimes.

Total coward. Hides away from responsibility and takes the easy option constantly. Suddenly appears offering support when we're winning, unless there's a tackle to be won of course.

We wobbled when McGinn went off, but it wasn't all Whelan. It was the fact Hourihane was now the player meant to be offering himself for the forward balls from the defence and the deep midfielder. He hid. Again.

Hits a nice deadball.

• Like 2

Even his set pieces were dreadful tonight. Just a bit of a meh player isn't he, probably lucky we have so many midfield injuries. 

Thought the deeper role would suit him.

Edited by Farlz

Starting to frustrate more and more. He is one of those players that hides. He deliberately moves into positions where team mates won’t pass to him unless absolutely necessary. He slows the play down too much. Want and expect so much more from him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To play that postion you need to be mobile and a good tackler.For their first he tackled Chester and towards the end they had the ball on the touchline and instead of tackling to put it out he ran over and fell looking for a foul.Runs like hes in quicksand.

Very surprised reading various ratings from yesterday and seeing him scored same as or even higher than McGinn and or Grealish. In here people seem to share my opinion though. He has a great left foot and can be effective (when he releases the ball quickly) in that deep position depending on the opposition and game plan. Yesterday his defensive positioning and pressing/tackling were horrible and he was to some extent involved in all of Forests goals but the last one. I'm far from Whelans biggest fan but think we need him in there on sat 

Edited by trom_borg
  • Like 1

He is rarely touch tight and his positioning is suspect at times.

He reminds me of Andy Blair ( for the old uns) He should be a squad player....He is not defensively competent enough to be a regular in every game, He should come in for certain games......in an ideal situation of course.

If we have any aspirations of promotion, its simply not enough for a player to be just offensively competent and slack at defending.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

He reminds me of Andy Blair ( for the old uns) He should be a squad player....He is not defensively competent enough to be a regular in every game, He should come in for certain games......in an ideal situation of course.

If we have any aspirations of promotion, its simply not enough for a player to be just offensively competent and slack at defending.

I think to call him offensively competent is probably flattering him a bit. So cowardly on the ball. Doesn't want it. Not comfortable with it gives it to Chester and Tuanzebe more often than not despite being in space.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think to call him offensively competent is probably flattering him a bit. So cowardly on the ball. Doesn't want it. Not comfortable with it gives it to Chester and Tuanzebe more often than not despite being in space.

I think you are more right than me....I was trying to be diplomatic.

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Relieved to see more questioning him.

I was starting to feel like Frank Grimes.

Total coward. Hides away from responsibility and takes the easy option constantly. Suddenly appears offering support when we're winning, unless there's a tackle to be won of course.

We wobbled when McGinn went off, but it wasn't all Whelan. It was the fact Hourihane was now the player meant to be offering himself for the forward balls from the defence and the deep midfielder. He hid. Again.

Hits a nice deadball.

and sadly, its simply not enough.

12 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

My thoughts on Hourihane.

I really rate is technical ability and his workrate.

He is one of my favourite villians however..

We have a system within our midfield three. 

1 - Engine - McGinn

2 - Creative - Grealish

3 - Glue i.e holding player and retainer

The 3 position is difficult because we need someone that can win the ball, and retain possession with a variety of range in passing.

Now against lesser teams it does not necessarily matter but better against opposition it does.

Honestly I feel that Hourihane and Mcginn should be competing for the same position.

Bjarnason is a player that suits that third position well at this level and we are missing him.

I think Hourihane and McGinn are different players altogether.

One gets stuck in physically the other is frit.

Needs a kick up his arse if he wants to continue being part of the starting eleven. Left gaping holes defensively last night and was one of the biggest culprits out there in why we did not win that game. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

I posted the picture of his position before Lolley struck because I'm genuinely interested in other opinions. The games I've watched since Smith took over and knowing the role Smith wants him to play based on the Brentford setup, I'm finding him all at sea. I used to rate him reasonably relative to the alternatives but I think that position is yet another hole we need to fill in the transfer window

As the DCM player of the 3 CM's he failed all night to track runners or break up play. Lolley at the very least should of been closed down better for the goal but in General he was allowed freedom of the pitch all night as CH wasn't anywhere close to him.BB on pitch last night and we win as he would of at the very least got close to Lolley even if it meant giving away freekicks now and then just to break the play up.

Â