Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Don't understand why he isn't more highly rated by our fans.

Plays an absolutely essential role which gives foil to Grealish/McGinn and chips in with goals and assists!

Yes now he does. Under Bruce he wasn’t used properly and why fans didn’t rate him highly 

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Don't understand why he isn't more highly rated by our fans.

Plays an absolutely essential role which gives foil to Grealish/McGinn and chips in with goals and assists!

Honestly? Because he’s incredibly wasteful in the opposition half (unless on a free kick). He tries the ridiculously ambitious all the time - 30 to 40 yard shots that are harmless, pinging balls to no-one. All been absolute classic Hourihane for ages. 

The first half today, he was doing the same thing but from deep. Just ridiculous balls that no-one was going to get on the end of. He sharpened up second half, and the free kick was beautiful. He’s always been good at that, though. More of the second half performance would be great. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Honestly? Because he’s incredibly wasteful in the opposition half (unless on a free kick). He tries the ridiculously ambitious all the time - 30 to 40 yard shots that are harmless, pinging balls to no-one. All been absolute classic Hourihane for ages. 

The first half today, he was doing the same thing but from deep. Just ridiculous balls that no-one was going to get on the end of. He sharpened up second half, and the free kick was beautiful. He’s always been good at that, though. More of the second half performance would be great. 

He also hides away when the going is tough, takes the easy option too often and can be cowardly in the challenge.

I don't think he's ever played well when the team is up against it.

I hope he does great things under Smith as fingers crossed we'll be dominating a hell of a lot of games.

As DS said he was a bit sloppy with his passing in the first half and hoofed it away forward to no good a couple of times. I'm still not fully convinced he is suited to this position, but I'm staring to understand more and more why DS plays him there. His set plays and the fact that he will get goals no and then is very valuable. And as much as I'm saying he is not a good enough passer for that position, he is on another planet compared to Jedi. He is probably better than Thor too at the ticking-over passing. He has the ability to play some good through balls and to pick out players with crosses. Hopefully he improves, I think he can. And defensively while he is weak, he runs a lot, so as long as he cuts out the standing still throwing out his arms and complaining when he looses the one on ones and instead runs and tracks back, he may make up for being a bit weak. I had thought his best position would be in the Jack/John position further forward, but I love seeing players being coached into new positions that benefits the team (compared to Jedi as CB as an example). So hopefully he can improve and make this position his own. And pop up with these wonderful free kicks now and then!

Would like us to go for Huddlestone in that position though. My god he can pick out passes and control games (as long as Tammy doesn't take him out of the game that is ?)

• Like 1

I’ve said it numerous times, and I’ll say it again. McGinn and Hourihane need to be our CM pairing going forward. In that second half, they dominated the middle. Derby never had a chance. 

Their partnership will grow, and iron out some of the mistakes.

You can just tell he is loving playing for the club. Always gives 110 % out there.

Always love players like this. Doesn't complain when being out of the team, keeps working hard to get back in the team. What a great professional. Lot of players could learn from his attitude.

7 hours ago, Skruff said:

I have a feeling he will grow into this role.

Pretty much flawless today capped with a great goal.

He should be a bit less wasteful with those longeballs put on the wings though.

I am sure at Barnsley that was his position 

Â