Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Poor shots. 

Passing wise. He attempted over twice as many passes as mcginn and had a better completion percentage.

If you weren't trying more passes from a deep midfield position compared to a no.8 type then there would be something badly wrong. Hourihane did ok tonight, but McGinn has long passed out Hourihane in what he offers the team over 90 minutes. He'd be too slow in that position against better teams as well, not that other options are any quicker. Could be a position where someone else is brought in January.

That position is a big problem for us. Whelan hasn’t got the legs, Jedinak can’t pass and Bjarnasson just runs around looking like an idiot.

I quite like the idea of Hourihane there because I don’t think he’s good enough to play as an attacking midfielder. That said, he needs to add a lot to his game to be successful in this position. 

Spot on selection against a weaker team. Offers more going forward than Jedi or whelan. Thought his passing was going, set pieces excellent, but tackling was non existent. Can't see him starting against derby when we need a bit of bite in the midfield. 

Can’t see him starting there against anybody but the weak sides. His passing is poor, he can’t tackle, he’s weak and he’s slow. He does have an absolute wand when it comes to set pieces though, such a shame he doesn’t have  more to his game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trickster said:

If you weren't trying more passes from a deep midfield position compared to a no.8 type then there would be something badly wrong. Hourihane did ok tonight, but McGinn has long passed out Hourihane in what he offers the team over 90 minutes. He'd be too slow in that position against better teams as well, not that other options are any quicker. Could be a position where someone else is brought in January.

The point is, he didn't give the ball away that much. Certainly not to justify criticism over it. 

The point is, he didn't give the ball away that much. Certainly not to justify criticism over it. 

I don’t think he gave the ball away too much. My problem is that you hardly hear his name mentioned during games, he floats in and out without really having an effect on anything. But, he has a goal in him, and he’s our best set piece taker so it’s a tough one really.

I don’t think he gave the ball away too much. My problem is that you hardly hear his name mentioned during games, he floats in and out without really having an effect on anything. But, he has a goal in him, and he’s our best set piece taker so it’s a tough one really.

I’d love it if he stopped just shooting (terribly, generally) on sight from anywhere within 40 yards. 

He takes a good free kick. That’s it. Was almost the absolute classic Hourihane performance against Bolton - some shots pinged wildly off target but an assist from a great free kick. 

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’d love it if he stopped just shooting (terribly, generally) on sight from anywhere within 40 yards. 

He takes a good free kick. That’s it. Was almost the absolute classic Hourihane performance against Bolton - some shots pinged wildly off target but an assist from a great free kick

It was Jack.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

But he isn't just in there to not give it away and unless we get away from the mentality that our defence midfield and attackers are separate entities we won't get better. Thankfully our manager recognises this. Spoke of grealish dropping too deep to receive the ball because he wasn't receiving much from hourihane. Now he didn't name check hourihane but it's how i seen it.  Conor needs to be a little braver and confident on the ball. Too many times he'll turn and give it back to the CB'S. Now this is fine if you are being pressed. Right thing to do. But if you have time to turn and look forward and give a ball, do so. Gets us on the front foot then. We don't have many players that love the ball, grealish is one of them. Great talent. 

• Like 1

He needs to keep playing that role to get good at it though. Hourihane was a #10 when we signed him, but we converted him to a box to box mid and he did fine there. Him and McGinn need more minutes together if we want them both on the pitch which imo, we do. 

He's been pretty poor in his general play this season but today he was much better, he frankly looked a lot fitter and like the rest of our players had far more intensity to his game. If he carries on like this he will cement his place ahead of Bjarnason. He's the better player overall.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Don't understand why he isn't more highly rated by our fans.

Plays an absolutely essential role which gives foil to Grealish/McGinn and chips in with goals and assists!

Cos free kicks don’t count as much apparently 

:trollface:

My MOTM.  He was immense in that deep-lying playmaker role today.  Broke up play, pulled the strings, and the goal was just icing on the cake.  If he can be consistent in this role, he's going to save us some money in January.

Â