Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, mykeyb said:

When we create the square root of f all from open play you need to take maximum advantage from set pieces so from that point he should be playing.

Catch 22 really.  Part of the reason we created the square root of **** all from open play is that Conor does **** all in open play.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Catch 22 really.  Part of the reason we created the square root of **** all from open play is that Conor does **** all in open play.

In the first half I thought our midfield was woeful, Conor included. How many free kicks did we have in the last 15 minutes in positions that would have suited his dead all ability.

You are right it is a catch 22

Will reiterate what others are saying, set-pieces aside he is not doing enough, needs to up his game.

Was a great opportunity last night for him to stake a claim as a regular starter which for me he didn't grasp.

Looks a different player than the one that performed for Barnsley, watched him a number of times when he was plying his trade there and he was so influential, not only with goals and assists but he seemed to get stuck in more.

I want to see that Conor, more aggression please.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he had a decent game, but I'm not convinced that holding midfielder is a good role for him. It worked today against a bad team, but he is not a good enough passer and too reliant on his left foot to be the playmaker. He is also too slow and weak to do a job defensively. I'd say he best suited to be a substitute to Jack or McGinn in their roles.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think he had a decent game, but I'm not convinced that holding midfielder is a good role for him. It worked today against a bad team, but he is not a good enough passer and too reliant on his left foot to be the playmaker. He is also too slow and weak to do a job defensively. I'd say he best suited to be a substitute to Jack or McGinn in their roles.

It's probably not but as you say it worked tonight against a bad team. This was something Bruce got a lot of criticism for. No matter who we played we always had to have Jedinak or Whelan to mind the house.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think if he is going to nail that position he will need to find space more and get on the ball a lot more, his forward passing is also not good enough.

He did alright though, but Smith will be looking for cutting edge in a deep lying midfelder.

I think he doesn't get the ball forward enough because he is very slow at trapping the ball and shifting it from his feet so he goes back or sideways. His goal contribution is impressive but for how Smith wants him to play which is the mceachran role at brentford. Can't see it. His game intelligence is just.......Ya don't get let go by Sunderland and go all the way down to Plymouth if you are a real talent as a kid. Not knocking the guy. Made a fine career for himself since. I just think he is pretty limited.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How did he have a poor game?

Passed the ball well most of the time. 

I thought he gave the ball away cheaply far too often. 

In fact he does my head in. 

Loves to snatch at a shot too. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How did he have a poor game?

Passed the ball well most of the time. Spread the play. Won a couple of tackles. An incredible free kick. 

I'd have him over the other options every game. 

I thought by his high standards he wasn't quite on it tonight. 

Agree about the free kick though - unlucky not to get another assist to his name.

• Like 1

Worth keeping in mind Boltons tactics were to target Connor as they mistakenly believed he was the base of the midfield attacks so stop him and you stop Grealish & McGinn. It didnt work happily, because of our movement. But he was put under pressure particularly in the first half more than any other Villa player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I thought he gave the ball away cheaply far too often. 

In fact he does my head in. 

Loves to snatch at a shot too. 

Poor shots. 

Passing wise. He attempted over twice as many passes as mcginn and had a better completion percentage.

Â