Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

43 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

Maybe we could convert Conor into a centre forward Lord knows he already scores more than the ones we have

would nullify his goals record as he comes from deep to score

• Like 1

Gets himself in to good positions but doesn't quite have the composure or technique to make the best of it.

Could have had a number of goals to his name already this season, not to be.

As long as he keeps putting himself into threatening situations and helping to create attempts he is doing a good job.

• Like 1

What happens to these players when we sign them?

Hourihane/Lansbury? Is it the massive fat contracts we give them?

Hides from the ball. Takes the easy option every single time. Complete passenger.

49 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What happens to these players when we sign them?

Hourihane/Lansbury? Is it the massive fat contracts we give them?

Hides from the ball. Takes the easy option every single time. Complete passenger.

Scores double figures from midfield, and becomes one of the most important players in the side?

Hides from the ball? He had about half a dozen shots today in his brief appearance. If anything he was trying to hard. He was shite today no doubt but come on.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I would have thought that having seen the energy and vibrancy that McGinn has brought to the midfield it would have sparked Conor to try to emulate or better when he gets a chance. Doesn’t seem to be happening, looked bordering on surly and disinterested today. 

You're asking why isn't he playing a different style than all of last season because we signed a new player? 

Conor is a passer. He will run around midfield, but he isn't a good defensive option like McGinn. If you want someone to feed the strikers, you go for Conor. If you want a more complete midfielder, you go for McGinn. 

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Scores double figures from midfield, and becomes one of the most important players in the side?

Hides from the ball? He had about half a dozen shots today in his brief appearance. If anything he was trying to hard. He was shite today no doubt but come on.

Already been dropped this season so he can't be that important.

Yes, had the ball given to him in plenty of space a few times today and did nothing with them. He's Darren Bent, but in midfield.

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

You're asking why isn't he playing a different style than all of last season because we signed a new player? 

Conor is a passer. He will run around midfield, but he isn't a good defensive option like McGinn. If you want someone to feed the strikers, you go for Conor. If you want a more complete midfielder, you go for McGinn. 

I not asking him to become a different type of player but I am expecting more intensity to his game. If your argument is that his passing game is so good that’s all he needs to bring then I don’t buy it. Jan Molby he ain’t! 

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I not asking him to become a different type of player but I am expecting more intensity to his game. If your argument is that his passing game is so good that’s all he needs to bring then I don’t buy it. Jan Molby he ain’t! 

My point is just because McGinn is an intense player, that doesn't mean Hourihane will suddenly change his game to match McGinn's. Hourihane has always been an attacking mid who relies on his passing and ability to be in the right spot to score. 

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Already been dropped this season so he can't be that important.

Yes, had the ball given to him in plenty of space a few times today and did nothing with them. He's Darren Bent, but in midfield.

He’d been on about fifteen minutes when the guy behind me commented on how many good balls he’d played, and I agreed.

Guess we all see it differently !

• Like 3

I thought he was fine, but - and this is a beef with the manager - why was he left side CM and McGinn right side? There were several times yesterday when Hourihane was looking to shoot or play a ball into the box, but couldn't because he couldn't get an angle on his left foot. 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I thought he was fine, but - and this is a beef with the manager - why was he left side CM and McGinn right side? There were several times yesterday when Hourihane was looking to shoot or play a ball into the box, but couldn't because he couldn't get an angle on his left foot. 

They are both left footed. Plus with Hourihane on the left, he should be able to shoot with his left? 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

They are both left footed. Plus with Hourihane on the left, he should be able to shoot with his left? 

It's easier to cut in from the right hand side and bend a shot into the far corner with his left foot than try and hit from the left hand side with the outside of his left boot. Additionally, McGinn is borderline ambidextrous based on the reviews of those that knew him before he got here so probably should have been on the left. 

• Like 1

Â