Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

21 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Wouldn't cut it in the Premier League.

As much as I love our midfield none of them apart from Grealish would stand out if we got back to the prem imo.

Jonathan Hogg is cutting it in the PL.

Think about that.

• Like 1

You'd be surprised with how many players end up "cutting it" in the premier league. I think having a better DM next to Hourihane would do him a world of good. Hourihane is asked to do a lot of defensive work. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I still want to see what out midfield would be like without a holding midfielder.

I get that in games having Bjarnasson, Jedinak or Whelan massively helps the team, but are we negating our attacking intent and ability in not playing 'footballing midfielders'

We've seen recently that we are a better team when we go at the opposition, and playing Hourihane and Lansbury together with Grealish playing a free role ahead of them could help us to do this more often.

Lansbury   Hourihane

Grealish

Its idealism.

players need a defensive side to their game.....unless we have the very best players around and their offensive skills occupy the opposition to such and extent, they find it difficult to attack us.....we need to be prepared for when they attack us.

that is extremely rare.......i don't remember us ever having a team like that.

Also when the 2 centre halves are so dominant and pacy, you can be excused a DM to some degree, but its still risky.

We all want to attack all of the time, but in reality its not practical.

On 22/04/2018 at 11:25, PompeyVillan said:

No way would he get the same amount of goals in the PL, but he's easily good enough for a PL squad. Have a look at a few lower half PL squads and there are some average midfielders knocking around.

Said this a few weeks ago. Is he really all that much worse than, say, Jeff Hendrick, Andy King or Tom Carroll?

• Like 2

top scoring centre midfielder in Premier League is 10 and Milojevic has a lot of penalties for Palace so not that many scorers from midfield in the league. 

If he keeps attacking space like he does he will get into positions for goals 

• Like 1

If Westwood can start for Burnley in the premier league, then Hourihane can start for us. I think Conor is a much better player than Westwood. I think Conor is a much better player than a lot of centermids currently starting for premier league clubs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes id give him a start too in a midfield of him lansbury and whelan

I think he could make the difference in these playoffs, a real game changer from the bench.

Said to a mate yesterday as he was warming up that we would score once he came on.  They couldnt handle the extra attacking threat.

He seems the only player we have that can alter the way we play when dropped in to the midfield. 

Take advantage of his extra motivation with him coming to the end of his stay.

Â