Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

He's a funny player. Overall his contribution this season has been fantastic but he does go missing for periods of time. I thought he looked shot to pieces 2nd half, he barely touched the ball. He had his one on one which was a pretty dreadful attempt and the shot from Grealishs back heel which was and decent effort. Other than that very annonymous thought Brucie should have given Ononamah or Lansbury a go. 

Overall I remain a big fan though, loads of goals from midfield, the odd assist, bags of running and generally tidy what's not to like. More consistency maybe but there's that many games in this league I think all CM are going to need a rest or two otherwise the off days will come. 

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

He's a funny player. Overall his contribution this season has been fantastic but he does go missing for periods of time. I thought he looked shot to pieces 2nd half, he barely touched the ball. He had his one on one which was a pretty dreadful attempt and the shot from Grealishs back heel which was and decent effort. Other than that very annonymous thought Brucie should have given Ononamah or Lansbury a go. 

Overall I remain a big fan though, loads of goals from midfield, the odd assist, bags of running and generally tidy what's not to like. More consistency maybe but there's that many games in this league I think all CM are going to need a rest or two otherwise the off days will come. 

I think his movement offers more than Onomah and Lansbury. He picks up the spaces left vacant when defenders come for Jack or Snodgrass and now I expect with Kodjia returning could be even more space for him

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think his movement offers more than Onomah and Lansbury. He picks up the spaces left vacant when defenders come for Jack or Snodgrass and now I expect with Kodjia returning could be even more space for him

I get that......I have mixed feelings.

but when he is on, he is on.

He can be a bit hit and miss......a bit like Andy Blair, for the old uns.

He is not a stand out player like jack, but he has his moments.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

First player to score 10 goals from midfield in 20 odd years, one of the best passers in the league in terms of controlling the game, up near the top for interceptions and tackles. One of the fittest players in the league who covers an incredible amount of ground, typified when we lost the ball at a corner and Connor had the legs and heart to outrun everyone and force Hoillett wide near the corner flag. Even then he still had plenty in the tank to keep his composure and get back into the team shape.We need better? For what? To challenge for Europe?

He is one of the best midfielders in the league ffs.

Absolutely, this. Well said.

That said, I expect a CB to threaten more in a one on one like that, but we all have our moments.

Edited by A'Villan

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Agreed I was only talking about that second half when I thought he was visibly flagging and struggling to get to the pace of the game. In general though he is much the better player. 

12 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

First player to score 10 goals from midfield in 20 odd years, one of the best passers in the league in terms of controlling the game, up near the top for interceptions and tackles. One of the fittest players in the league who covers an incredible amount of ground, typified when we lost the ball at a corner and Connor had the legs and heart to outrun everyone and force Hoillett wide near the corner flag. Even then he still had plenty in the tank to keep his composure and get back into the team shape.We need better? For what? To challenge for Europe?

Agree with you. 

Id also add he has a great deal of composure on the ball. 

Im always comfortable when hes in possession as he always seems to pick the correct pass, positive ones too, and rarely gives the ball away. 

Best midfielder we have had in years for me.

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

That miss was criminal for a player at this level. Bloody hell conor use your right foot.

You're absolutely right, I caught up with him after the game and asked "Conor, how many feet do you have?" and he went

Image result for conor hourihane gif

So he's well aware, there's no excuse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

'one of the best passers in the league in terms of controlling the game' - Absolutely not. 

He is absolutely not one of the best midfielders in the league. If we had one of the best midfielders in the league, we'd be up automatically by now. 
In the system we play - 4-2-3-1 - the 2 in midfield are usually the weakest part of the team. Hence why they have been rotated so much and Bruce still doesn't know who to play there.

I watch Hourihane play a lot and he seems to shy away from the ball and absolutely doesnt control games. He does get into goal scoring positions which I will give him credit for but more often than not, when he scores, it masks an average game IMO.
Take Blues for example, I actually thought he was our worst player that game but you can't take that strike away from him!

As I've mentioned, he is OK for where we are now but if we don't go up, I'd be looking at that central midfield area as a priority. If we go up, he wont be good enough in the prem.

• Like 1

First player to score 10 goals from midfield in 20 odd years

He has had an extra 8 games to do it (against worse opposition) than all our other midfielders in that time-frame tbf.

one of the best passers in the league in terms of controlling the game

See, that's what I think he doesn't do. He doesn't control the game. He presses well and gets into goal-scoring positions (and has a knack of finishing them), but IMO he isn't one of the best passing midfielders in the league. Neves, Cairney, Johansen and Woods (Brentford) all keep possession a lot better than him, and actually dictate the tempo their sides play at. Maddison is a much better passer too, although he plays a more similar role to Jack.  

I would start him FWIW, and I think our other CM spot is more of an urgent need of an upgrade - but let's be realistic.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 1

Â