Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I understand that it is more likely to hit the first man for those reasons. But the regularity with which it happens, across premier league football is higher than should be for elite footballers, in my opinion. 

How many times do direct free kicks hit the target.... Surely a pro should force a save from the keeper every single time?

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not jumping on the bandwagon, because he has scored a few goals in the lower league, but i think he was played too deep for us.He is not a combative midfielder and i think some folk appraised him as one.

He is definitely at his best as a Frank Lampard style midfielder who gets into the box and offers a goal threat. It's just too bad he was a mid table championship standard player. No where near good enough for the premier league. 

The problem with Hourihane is that he has to be accommodated but he's not really good enough to be. 

@villa89 mentions Lampard as a comparison - but Lampard was a much more robust midfielder who could hold his own on the ball. Hourihane you basically want taking set pieces or sneaking in to finish a chance - you don't actually want him on the ball for an extended period of time - he's not particularly useful. 

• Like 3

What always frustrated me about Hourihane is that successive Villa managers have played him as an "8".  He does not have the energy or dynamism to play that role. 

He can play as the sitter or as a "10".  I was at the Norwich game a few seasons back in the championship where he played "10" of KD and got his hattrick.

I am not sure why he was never given a role/formation to play in that suited his best attributes??😡

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

What always frustrated me about Hourihane is that successive Villa managers have played him as an "8".  He does not have the energy or dynamism to play that role. 

He can play as the sitter or as a "10". 

He can't play as the sitter IMO. The game passes him by, he can't tackle at all and has zero physicality.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He can't play as the sitter IMO. The game passes him by, he can't tackle at all and has zero physicality.  

sounds like ramsey (at this point in time). difference is that conor has an end product. we let the wrong man go out on loan IMO

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

sounds like ramsey (at this point in time). difference is that conor has an end product. we let the wrong man go out on loan IMO

He's not like Ramsey at all. Ramsey is a lot more technically proficient and faster. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's not like Ramsey at all. Ramsey is a lot more technically proficient and faster. 

agree to disagree there. i haven't seen much pace or technical ability from ramsey thus far. he'll make it, i'm sure, but right now i think conor offers more.

not saying conor is the answer or anything, just a better option right now

Ramsey runs and covers more than Hourihane.

I would compare Hourihane a bit with what Barkley currently do for us, not enough. Workrate defensively just isnt there, which causes problems.

Love Conor thou and wish him the best. I just do not think it is here he has a future.

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

I didn't say I thought he was the best sitter but he is certainly better sitting than he is as a no. 8.  Equally, I think if you put legs around him he can play as a "quarterback" type sitter.  I don't necessarily think he can do this in the PL but he could do this at Championship level, depending upon the opposition.

9 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

I understand that it is more likely to hit the first man for those reasons. But the regularity with which it happens, across premier league football is higher than should be for elite footballers, in my opinion. 

Look you have to play it like that. There is probably about a foot for margin of error on these balls otherwise it goes too high and sails over the box or the keeper catches it. Or you hit the first man. Hitting the first man is better because if your team plans well you can have a person attack the front post to either knock it on or glance it into the net like we have done several times this and last season. Hell hourihane hit the first man about half the time. It looks bad but is necessary. 

this thread is the Monty Python Roman's sketch on loop

Fan A: Connor doesn't offer anything, doesn't deserve to play for Villa!
Fan B: Well except the assists especially from set pieces
Fan A: Well yes accept those but apart from that what does he offer eh?
Fan B: The goals outside the box?
Fan A: Well yes those, but c'mon what else does he offer?
Fan B: Direct goals from free kicks?
Fan A: Well yes there are the goals from free kicks, but can he tackle can he track back?
Fan B: No well he...
Fan A: Exactly... We can't carry a player who only scores goals and is good set pieces can we?

And I'm not saying he is good enough, he goes missing too often and is incredibly lightweight but at the moment I would still play him over Barkley and Ramsey in Grealish's absence.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why worry about the things he cant do, focus on what he does do. Obviously hes not in Smiths plans but he has been good for Swansea no matter what some fans have said about him after tonights game. 

21 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He reminds me a bit of Michael Owen in that he will be fairly quiet in a game but then pop up with a goal or assist out of the blue. As a striker you can get away with this, but a midfielder needs to be more involved. 

Don't think even strikers can get away with it anymore, unless they're getting crazy numbers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

He reminds me a bit of Michael Owen in that he will be fairly quiet in a game but then pop up with a goal or assist out of the blue. As a striker you can get away with this, but a midfielder needs to be more involved. 

In fairness, I don't see Hourihane winning the Ballon D'Or.

On 16/03/2021 at 23:40, Made In Aston said:

OT - Did an event with EA sports for fifa once where John Barnes and Ian rush gave a presentation and talked about Owen on the ball, the hattrick that he'd scored vs Newcastle they said he spent something like 11 seconds on the ball that game much to the rooms bemusement and then they showed it, 3 lightning quick goals from running off the ball, didn't do a thing else 

Â