Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

his wikipedia page says he signed a new 3 year deal in in the summer of 2019?, so if true, his contract goes to summer 2022.

dunno....could expire this summer?, he signed in Jan 2017 on a 3.5 year contract, so that took him to summer 2020, he signed the extension in summer 2019....eh dunno.

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would be frustrating if we lose him on a free. For all his faults he's been a key player for a promoted and stayed up club in last two years, regular international, not yet 30 and been a good player at his previous clubs.

Not expecting mega money but that's 4-5m in my book plus his 30-40k week off the bill.

As well as things are going we have to be careful not to fall into the trap of spending large amounts every summer but hardly moving on any squad players for decent fees each year to balance the books.

Started to hurt us in the second part of the Lerner reign and that was before FFP became a major problem.

It would be frustrating but it’s just a circumstance of timing. If we gave him a new deal on PL money then we would be likely to have him for the duration of that deal and truth is he isn’t god enough.

Its frustrating we never seem to be able to sell surplus players for decent money like say Spurs but giving him a new deal would be a mistake. In fairness I also think Hourihane is the sort of guy who would rather play so likely wouldn’t sign.

I can see him going to Newcastle with Bruce.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I can see him going to Newcastle with Bruce.

Not a bad shout that. 

Given their "style" of play I think he could fit it to that Newcastle side. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I can see him going to Newcastle with Bruce

Yeah can absolutely see that. He’d do well there. Or at Burnley in the way Westwood pulls the strings for them. I actually think there are a few PL teams he gets into which probably shows we are progressing. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't let him go unless we bring someone in. And even if we do, I'd keep him until the summer and give Ramsey half a season of regular game time in the championship, he'd learn a lot about the ugly part of the game. Keep Conor until the summer for squad depth, and let him go with a massive thank you for his contribution to the club through the years. 

3 million pounds. Bargain

On 31/12/2020 at 14:03, av1 said:

Not a bad shout that. 

Given their "style" of play I think he could fit it to that Newcastle side. 

I have seen a Hendrick/Hourihane partnership for Ireland and they struggled vs Gibraltar and Georgia 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

A loan would be fair, I’d probably even entertain a permanent move if there was a sensible offer on the table (something in the region of £5m). He’s served us well and he needs to play football to secure his international place. A loan is definitely more likely, though, as I don’t really see any other Premier League club coming in for him and so it’ll be a championship club I would think.

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

A loan would be fair, I’d probably even entertain a permanent move if there was a sensible offer on the table (something in the region of £5m). He’s served us well and he needs to play football to secure his international place. A loan is definitely more likely, though, as I don’t really see any other Premier League club coming in for him and so it’ll be a championship club I would think.

Can see him at West Brom on loan if they have enough loan spaces

16 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I'm not sure we'd get £5 mil for him as he is 30. Difficult to gauge how others would value him though. Would have a pretty impressive highlights video.

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Should sell him or let him go on a free tbf - I'd much rather see Ramsey, Bogarde or Sylla play instead of him. 

Contract expires Jun 30, 2022 not sure why we'd let him leave on a free?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daggy_333 said:

Contract expires Jun 30, 2022 not sure why we'd let him leave on a free?

Because I don't think many teams would want to pay much, if anything, for him and you'd make a saving from the wages you wouldn't be paying. 

45 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I'm not sure we'd get £5 mil for him as he is 30. Difficult to gauge how others would value him though. Would have a pretty impressive highlights video.

The stats as well, some Moneyball teams might be interested in that. He would be a good signing for a team like Sheff United, Baggies, Burnley, Newcastle and Brighton who all lack creativity and goals

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

The stats as well, some Moneyball teams might be interested in that. He would be a good signing for a team like Sheff United, Baggies, Burnley, Newcastle and Brighton who all lack creativity and goals

I'd disagree - I don't see how he'd improve any of those teams, rather he'd just make their midfields even easier to walk through. 

• Like 1

Â