Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

On 14/11/2020 at 11:09, villalad21 said:

Anyone else feels bad for him?

Won our first 2 games with him starting and didn't put a foot wrong.

Since then he has not kicked a ball.

I do feel bad for him, but it is upto Conor to force his way into the team because Smith and those working with the players see Conor as someone who can keep getting better.

Conor has done it so many times when people thought he was dead and buried that I've lost count, I dont think this is the last we will see of him.

I'd put a bet that Conor will keep fighting for a place and as long as he does hes worth keeping around if hes good enough.

Football is football though and when your at the very top the club needs the best they can get playing for them, I think there are many anyway that would be sold before Conor gets sold.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2020 at 08:21, lapal_fan said:

I know the levels of the teams were different, but you saw Conors limitations in the England/Ireland game.  On a few occasions he'd make a decent pass, but just stand and admire it, when he really should have been on the move into space to receive the ball again to help Ireland build some attacks.

You compare that with England's movement (off the ball) and you saw players passing and moving into space, even if it meant going backwards or playing a 1-2, it just keeps the ball moving.

I really like Conor, I think he has a lot to offer, but you just can't see Barkley being dropped for him because he lacks that atheltisim to get around the pitch, which makes a huge difference in the Prem.

He's got a sweet left peg though, and his set peice delivery is great most of the time.

It's not too late to improve for him though, so if he can add other strings to his bow, he'll get into the team again.

When was the last time Conor scored a free kick, I've not seen him score one for a while to be honest,early last season was it??

There used to be a time when Conor would guarantee a goal from his foot on a free kick, especially in the championship. I just fear that the level of keepers and defenders going up a few notches has what's kept Conor from scoring those he would of in the championship.

At this level with the accuracy Conor has on his kicks he now has to put even more power, pace even more accuracy, spin so on because those defenders, keepers at premier level are something else to score free kicks against. I'd love to see Conor start scoring free kicks again, that would certainly say that hes raised himself again on that level.

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

When was the last time Conor scored a free kick, I've not seen him score one for a while to be honest,early last season was it??

There used to be a time when Conor would guarantee a goal from his foot on a free kick, especially in the championship. I just fear that the level of keepers and defenders going up a few notches has what's kept Conor from scoring those he would of in the championship.

At this level with the accuracy Conor has on his kicks he now has to put even more power, pace even more accuracy, spin so on because those defenders, keepers at premier level are something else to score free kicks against. I'd love to see Conor start scoring free kicks again, that would certainly say that hes raised himself again on that level.

He has only ever scored 4 direct free kicks out of about 30 goals for Villa so it was never guaranteed. His delivery was crucial for us staying up last season 

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I can see both sides, not resting or rotating players is frustrating but the likes of Hourihane and Nakamba showed last year that they're just not cut out for the Prem.

We won our opening games with Conor starting this season

12 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I can see both sides, not resting or rotating players is frustrating but the likes of Hourihane and Nakamba showed last year that they're just not cut out for the Prem.

Having said that it did take Trezeguet time to adjust and that may also be the case for both Hourihane and Nakamba too but I trust Smith's judgement in this case.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Funny near the end when he was played in down the left and showed himself to be the slowest man alive. 

Anchors in his boots.

When this happened I thought yes we're in here... but he got nowhere near it 🤦‍♂️

Even his fabled by some set pieces were very poor today. Against modern, PL midfields he is too slow in feet and mind. He has contributed some good things of course, but they have carried him farther chance wise than should be happening now. Another decent, even slightly more agile midfielder in and he should be close to surplus imo. 

A player like Hourihane needs to be sitting in a small imaginary box in front of the defence with plenty of runners around him. Otherwise the game just bypasses him and his worth is not apparent. 

However if we want to progress then there's no room for sentiment.

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

Looked like a MLS player when he came on today. I like Conor, but he's pretty one dimensional. Potential offload in January, IMO.

Can't be offloading anyone in January IMO. We need to add players not sell. 

It’s a weird one with Conor. 

Whilst we all know he can missing in games, he’s still been part of our most successful teams recently. Getting promotion, he started in the run in. Post lockdown last he started and helped keep us up. 
Smith really doesn’t rate him, as you’d have thought he’d come on instead of Traore (who was then initially played out of position). 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s a weird one with Conor. 

Whilst we all know he can missing in games, he’s still been part of our most successful teams recently. Getting promotion, he started in the run in. Post lockdown last he started and helped keep us up. 
Smith really doesn’t rate him, as you’d have thought he’d come on instead of Traore (who was then initially played out of position). 

I like the other conor, Conor Gallagher, Now there is a young player, who gets about the pitch and lets you know he is there.

His value will never be as high as it is now. £6m - £8m won't be a game changer to us but it is smart business which we now need to do regular.

We actually look to be in a solid position where we can start to blood some youngsters. We aren't chasing promo or fighting relegation this year.

Â