Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, Danishlad said:

This makes no sense, signing players for relegation? 

He has signed cause he believes that he can get in the team and wants to play Premier league football. He has shown a good attitude in the past when he isn’t in the team.

Noo, you’ve missed the point of what I was saying... 

I was saying that hourihane has been tied down to a new contract because we know what he can do in the championship, and is one of those that we are likely to be able to keep in the event of us being relegated.  

Edited by Tayls
Typo

He's certainly a squad player now. I think he's more likely to come in when McGinn is suspended for the box to box role. Hopefully if Marvellous and Doug are as good as expected they will shield his defensively limitations. Can't say I'd be that confident with him being DM against anyone in the prem.

There's also been plenty of players who've made good livings in premier league just from being good set piece takers. Is Hourihane really that much worse than say James Ward Prowse at Southampton who was getting loads of media praise and tipped for England call up when he hit a couple of nice free kicks in the run in last season?

14 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I like Hourihane in a Ramsey type role more attack minded than defence just please not shielding the back 4

ditto

I don't favour him in the DM role, more advanced for me.....but i do worry of his ball control in tight spots.

Edited by TRO

16 hours ago, useless said:

Yes for the most part he's done nothing whatsoever whilst at the club. If he'd have had ten or so decent games, that would still make what we've paid and continue to pay for him astronomical. I think with Lansbury there's two players the one in reality, and the one that exists in people's heads, he just isn't very good.

16 hours ago, useless said:

We're all behind Lansbury to have a really wonderful season, lets hope he can get going this time, there's a good player in there somewhere, he just needs to awaken it.

15 hours ago, useless said:

I was referring to Lansbury in my post. £30k is a lot for a championship player as well, but at least Hourihane has played contributed in a big way towards the team getting promoted. The blame for the size of the wages doesn't really lay with the players, but the previous regime, as in Bruce, Round and Wyness for putting them on that kind of money, Jedinak was apparently on £50K a week.

This is going to be the new Steve Bruce thread.. and it's not even the Lansbury thread.

Just listened to him on the radio 5 podcast on villa. He reminds me of irish bar staff I worked with despite having an Irish surname myself. He's precious about the pronunciation of Houurihanne. Sorry Connor, but Birmingham is an Irish story - if people don't know how to pronounce your name it isn't disrespect but it's cos your name is **** impossible to pronounce - so when your new team mates are from Brazil just have some fooking understanding about names, 

• Haha 2

I don’t he came off as pretentious at all in that bit.  He was asked the correct pronunciation of his name and he answered it (“How-ri-hain”). I can totally get behind that. 

On 30/07/2019 at 08:45, Kiwivillan said:

I like Hourihane in a Ramsey type role more attack minded than defence just please not shielding the back 4

We're simply f***ed if Hourihane's role is to cover the back four. He would need to improve exponentially, astronomically even, to be fit for the role at this level.

Getting forward he's an asset. Supports attacks and has a bit of a knack for being in the right position at the right time, to score or assist.

He's never the focal point of the attack but a wonderful role player and facilitator for successful build up and scoring opportunities.

What about Conor reminds you of Aaron Ramsey? Ramsey with the ball at his feet and the weight of his pass and shots is nice.

Conor is not particularly technically gifted even in the second tier, he's more tactical by being an option and executing the basics adequately.

Edited by A'Villan

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

We're simply f***ed if Hourihane's role is to cover the back four. He would need to improve exponentially, astronomically even, to be fit for the role at this level.

Getting forward he's an asset. Supports attacks and has a bit of a knack for being in the right position at the right time, to score or assist.

He's never the focal point of the attack but a wonderful role player and facilitator for successful build up and scoring opportunities.

I know so in the middle 3 where 2 mids are McGinn and Grealish and the other is deep sweeper so not Hourihane where does he fit. Not in the first XI for me only bench/ injury cover but just signed new contract. Will he be happy with that? Does Smith have faith in him? 

If it's a choice between being an impact player in the Premier League or going back to The Championship then it's a no brainer. You have a shot at the Premier League. Just having Premier League football on your CV probably helps if you are looking for a move in a year or so. 

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I know so in the middle 3 where 2 mids are McGinn and Grealish and the other is deep sweeper so not Hourihane where does he fit. Not in the first XI for me only bench/ injury cover but just signed new contract. Will he be happy with that? Does Smith have faith in him? 

Another say to look at it is we've  got 6 players for three positions in midfield.

With minor injuries and suspensions, plus rotation, you could estimate one playing 30 games, a couple playing 25, and three playing a dozen or so, and there’s Cup games.

One big injury early on and the remaining 5 all play 20 odd each.

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

How come Graham Norton doesn't have a bogger accent?

His broadcasting career depended on ditching it (and he's a clearing in the woods).

• Like 1

Â