Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Dual aspect goal scoring midfielder who is as comfortable playing further forward as he is playing as a DM. Also has a wicked free kick on him.

Great attributes for any squad!

I championed him as a signing, was delighted when we got him. Love his tenacity and heart on sleeve attitude. That said I've said he's not PL quality but that's purely as DM where he's done ok a few times but looks completely unnatural in that role. The best games I remember him were free role behind the striker where he had his big hauls. Reminded me a little bit of Ramsey with his timed runs into the box. I would put Grealish on the wing if that's the case where he's excelled. Think mazy run on left Elmo cutback goal. Even if 3 behind striker exchange positions. Long story short he is not not not a defensive midfielder

Edited by Kiwivillan

Well deserved. We don’t know for sure if he’ll perform well in the PL but he has managed every step up in leagues so far.

What we have got is an excellent professional who should do a vital job being an active member of our first team PL squad without throwing his toys out the pram if he’s benched for much of the PL campaign. Will surely play a vital part in our cup attempts. The new contract also protects his value to Villa, should he crave a first team place elsewhere after a season or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I championed him as a signing, was delighted when we got him. Love his tenacity and heart on sleeve attitude. That said I've said he's not PL quality but that's purely as DM where he's done ok a few times but looks completely unnatural in that role. The best games I remember him were free role behind the striker where he had his big hauls. Reminded me a little bit of Ramsey with his timed runs into the box. I would put Grealish on the wing if that's the case where he's excelled. Think mazy run on left Elmo cutback goal. Even if 3 behind striker exchange positions. Long story short he is not not not a defensive midfielder

Much as I like Hourihane, putting Grealish on the wing to accommodate him is madness. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've noticed that it seems more common nowadays.  For example I'm a Sussex cricket club fan and they've stopped announcing the lengths of their contracts since last year.  There must be some reason for it, maybe data protection or something?  It's a bit annoying for fans though as we don't get that peace of mind of knowing that we've got them tied up for x years.

You have been watching too many mucky movies.

His weapon, that left peg, will transfer to any level. I do wonder if the *slightly* less frantic pace of the Premier League will suit him better. Give him a bit of time on the ball and he's a baller. 

I do wish he'd hit the gym though. Just a bit. 

• Like 3

Glad he's signed a new deal. I like him a lot. But it is far too noticeable how one footed he is. There are times where moves break down due to his inability to even attempt relatively easy passes with his right foot. Great player to have in the squad though.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

His weapon, that left peg, will transfer to any level. I do wonder if the *slightly* less frantic pace of the Premier League will suit him better. Give him a bit of time on the ball and he's a baller. 

I do wish he'd hit the gym though. Just a bit. 

Agree on both points.  He could do very well next season and yes, he does look slight at times.  It's been a big criticism on here that he doesn't impose himself or gets a tackle in.  However, during the play off games and the final, I thought he did very well closing down and putting a foot in.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I can’t believe how poorly people seem to rate him... he’s a really good player. I think he’ll do well in the PL, and I think although he won’t start every game he’ll be very important for us this year. I could be wrong obv, but I’m really hopeful for his new season.

He'll be at his best too if he wants to get into the team ahead of Luiz.

Fair play to him. He’s worked hard and tries to improve when things werent going right. He’s had his doubters, I’ve been one. But he has shown when played higher up he does well. Never understood why Smith didn’t play him in that role when jack was out injured. At dm he can struggle. Think he’ll be first backup to the likes of McGinn and Jack. 

He’ll still be great on free kicks and corners in the PL and he’ll still be capable of banging in a 20+ yarder in the PL.

My concern is he’s not great under pressure on the ball and whilst I think the general consensus is that you may get more time on the ball in the PL - you also come up against better players more likely to pick your pocket.

Likeable player though and new contract is well earned.

• Like 1

Â