Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

Just back to World Cup appearances for a second here's a list by country.

Nations represented by number of different players:

5 - England, Republic of Ireland
1 - Sweden, Holland, Northern Ireland, Turkey, Ecuador, Yugoslavia, Czech Republic, Scotland, Australia, Iceland

Nations represented by World Cup appearances:

30 - Republic of Ireland
20 - England
8 - Sweden
7 - Holland
5 - Northern Ireland and Turkey
4 - Ecuador
3 - Australia, Iceland
2 - Yugoslavia
1 - Scotland, Czech Republic

Edited by VILLAMARV
updated
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

A synopsis of the two pages so far then is:

”Proud history, bright future”.  :flag:

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd say it's "Proud History, hopefully a future"

Either way lets try not to think about the present too much :D

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/45201526/page/2

EFL Rewind: Follow historic first matchday of action

Welcome to a special 130th anniversary edition of our Football League matchday live text commentary!

The year is 1888, Queen Victoria is still on the throne, John Logie Baird - who would go on to invent the TV - is born, and a newfangled thing called the Football League is founded.

Stay with us as we bring you the goals as they went in 130 years ago and highlight what the game was like in the 19th Century.

It should make for a jolly good show...

:snip:

It is a big occasion for Wolverhampton Wanderers' Arthur Lowder today. Just as he was on the pitch for the club's fist ever match as a founding player in 1877 here he is for their first league match!

Talented half-back Harry Yates and goalkeeper Jimmy Warner - who would go down in later years as an infamous character at the club - are among a number of Aston Villa's FA Cup winning players of 1887 to line up for this one.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Jack Baynton, Dick Baugh, Charlie Mason, Albert Fletcher, Harry Allen, Arthur Lowder, Tommy Hunter, Joseph Cooper, Nicholas Anderson, Walter White, Alec Cannon.

Aston Villa: Jimmy Warner, Gershom Cox, Frank Coulton, Harry Yates, Harry Devey, Frankie Dawson, Albert Brown, Tommy Green, Albert Allen, Batty Garvey, Denny Hodgetts.

Wolves may be instantly recognisable in gold and black these days, but they started out in the Football League wearing red and white stripes!

8d5af147-9f61-4d46-8d74-c1549aad3db9.jpg

:snip:

When the league turned 125

In 2013, the National Football Museum celebrated the game's anniversary with an exhibition to mark 125 years of the Football League.

The original 12 were honoured, with a special place reserved for Aston Villa chairman and the league's founder William McGregor.

fa44bae7-9a48-46f7-ab70-1c80362f773a.jpg

BBC having a bit of fun before the England game - 'Live' goal updates and that from 130 years ago :D

FWIW - Tommy Green just equalised for us against Wolves - our first ever league goal. Cancelling out the og we gifted them.

• Like 2

and that Cox own goal...

16:00

GOAL: Wolves 1-0 Aston Villa

Gershom Cox, own goal (30 mins)

Oh dear. It's an own goal from Villa full-back Gershom Cox and Wolves are in front. It is an unlucky one as the ball comes off Cox's body as Villa desperately defended in a scrum in front of goal after good work from Joseph Cooper and Walter White had the visitors backtracking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/45201526

Unlucky 7

Wolves 1-0 Aston Villa

Mark Metcalf - Football historian, journalist and author

There is irony that this goal has been pushed out to be the seventh scored on the day - it's quite nice seeing it as unlucky seven.

Cox never scored another goal - this own goal on the opening day of the the league season, which was thought to be the first ever league goal, was his only one.

At the time there would have been no shame in scoring an own goal at all. What you had on the day was real anticipation going into these matches - it was new and it was novel. People didn’t even know how to win the league because the rules had yet to be clarified. The original rule was that only wins would count and a draw was an irrelevance.

For a long time the first league goal was thought to be Cox's own goal for Aston Villa at Wolves. At first I thought, ‘well, that's interesting’ then thought, 'well it’s not so good that an own goal started it all'.

There was something in my mind about the kick-off time, which was thought to have been 3pm while all other games were advertised to start at 3.30. I’d seen Wolves’ other matches around the time reportedly kick-off and advertised to start at 3.30, so why would the first game of the league season kick-off early?

And so we (Metcalf and his friend Robert Boyling) tried to find the kick-off time which would either be part of a match report, as they often were, or advertised ahead of the game. Eventually Robert (a library assistant at the Colindale newspaper library) found the time advertised in copy of the Midland Evening News from 7 September 1888.

When we worked it all out we put 400 hours into trying to find it that one scrap of information.

e8481eb4-4c90-437e-af9d-1efc189ea5b6.jpg

• 5 months later...
16 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Stumbled across this Twitter account which has a fair few interesting Villa related pictures. Some are more familiar, some I’ve never seen before.

Some great photos there. This one is interesting, as its not Villa. Its late 1930s to 1958 (when floodlights were installed).

So its either England or a cup semi. I’ve done a bit of digging, based on the fact there is one team in white (I can’t really tell the other team) its one of these:

England Internationals at VP

3/2/1945 Scotland 3-2 Att: 64000-65800

10/11/1948 Wales 1-1 Att: 68750

FAC Semi-Finals at VP

1946 Charlton-Bolton Att: 70819

1948 Blackpool-Spurs Att: 70687

1953 Blackpool-Spurs Att: 68221

1954 WBA-Port Vale Att: 68221

1956 Man City-Spurs Att: 69788

• Like 2

Stumbled across this by random on who ate all the pies.

villa-boca-camp-nou-joan-gamper.png

It's the 3rd place game in an exhibition tournament against Boca Juniors played at Nou Camp in Barcelona in 84. We lost 0-2. (The other teams were Barca and Bayern Munich.)

Apparently the only time we've faced them, not surprising perhaps.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

IT’S NOW BEEN EXACTLY 20 YEARS SINCE AN ALL-ENGLISH TEAM LAST STARTED A PREMIER LEAGUE GAME – ASTON VILLA, AGAINST COVENTRY IN 1999

Today, 27th February 2019, marks the 20-year anniversary of the last time a Premier League club started a match with 11 English players on the pitch.

Well, it’s actually 13 years since Middlesbrough did likewise against Fulham in May 2006, but James Morrison (born and raised in England) then went onto to represent Scotland at international level, so Boro’s line-up has been struck from the official record books.

Anyway, a Villa side consisting of Michael Oakes, Simon Grayson, Riccardo Scimeca, Gareth Southgate, Alan Wright, Paul Merson, Lee Hendrie, Ian Taylor, Steve Watson, Dion Dublin and Julian Joachim bravely fought and lost 4-1 against Coventry City in front of 48,000 fans at Villa Park.

villa-coventry-1999-500x332.png

*Sigh* Them were the days.

‘Twas Dublin who scored Villa’s goal from the penalty spot, while John Aloisi and the usually goal-shy George Boateng both scored a brace apiece for the Sky Blues.

As it happens, Villa wouldn’t have to wait too long to wreak cruel revenge two years later when a 3-2 win at Villa Park in May 2001 brought Coventry’s 34-year stay in the top flight to an end.

Coventry actually went 2-0 up too, rendering the precise manner of their terminal capitulation all the more embarrassing.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/aston_villa/282062/on-this-day-in-1999-aston-villa-play-coventry-in-premier-league-with-all-english-starting-xi-photo-video.html

The last club to field an all English side in the PL 20 years ago today.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Yep, they do seem to like to reference that result. Mentioned it in another thread not long ago, but they never seem to reference Villa being top after 20 games having fielded an English side against Sheffield Wednesday. I’m not sure how often we fielded a fully English side that season, but we were certainly top having just fielded one. I’m fairly confident we would have been the last team to top the Premier League with such a team. 

The top five looked like this after the Sheffied Wednesday game -

Villa        39 

Chelsea  37

Man Utd  35

Arsenal    35

Leeds       33

Here are the goals (Carbone’s goal takes up the majority of the footage)-

Looking at that season, bloody hell. Three wins from from the last sixteen. I remember it going bad, but just looking at it cold now, it’s dreadful. You’d think we’d be used to these kinda runs by now.

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yep, they do seem to like to reference that result. Mentioned it in another thread not long ago, but they never seem to reference Villa being top after 20 games having fielded an English side against Sheffield Wednesday. I’m not sure how often we fielded a fully English side that season, but we were certainly top having just fielded one. I’m fairly confident we would have been the last team to top the Premier League with such a team. 

The top five looked like this after the Sheffied Wednesday game -

Villa        39 

Chelsea  37

Man Utd  35

Arsenal    35

Leeds       33

Here are the goals (Carbone’s goal takes up the majority of the footage)-

Looking at that season, bloody hell. Three wins from from the last sixteen. I remember it going bad, but just looking at it cold now, it’s dreadful. You’d think we’d be used to these kinda runs by now.

Looking at it we had 4 non English players that season. Bosnich, Calderwood, Delaney and Ferraresi

Today, 27th February 2019, marks the 20-year anniversary of the last time a Premier League club started a match with 11 English players on the pitch.

Well, it’s actually 13 years since Middlesbrough did likewise against Fulham in May 2006, but James Morrison (born and raised in England) then went onto to represent Scotland at international level, so Boro’s line-up has been struck from the official record books.

Anyway, a Villa side consisting of Michael Oakes, Simon Grayson, Riccardo Scimeca, Gareth Southgate, Alan Wright, Paul Merson, Lee Hendrie, Ian Taylor, Steve Watson, Dion Dublin and Julian Joachim bravely fought and lost 4-1 against Coventry City in front of 48,000 fans at Villa Park.

Surely that attendance is incorrect? Villa Park couldn't hold 48,000 in 1999 could it?

The attendance was 38000

On a side note, that line-up would have been made void if Joachim had been given international clearance to play for St Kitts, as he planned (he actually flew out to St Kitts to play for them!)

Also, most of the depressing moments in the 90's involve Coventry. Drawing 0-0 in 93 in the title chase, losing in the FAC 98 (I thought we stood a good chance of thing it), and this 1-4 in 99. We had always beaten them up to that point. 

On 14/02/2019 at 09:44, Unused Sub said:

Some great photos there. This one is interesting, as its not Villa. Its late 1930s to 1958 (when floodlights were installed).

So its either England or a cup semi. I’ve done a bit of digging, based on the fact there is one team in white (I can’t really tell the other team) its one of these:

England Internationals at VP

3/2/1945 Scotland 3-2 Att: 64000-65800

10/11/1948 Wales 1-1 Att: 68750

FAC Semi-Finals at VP

1946 Charlton-Bolton Att: 70819

1948 Blackpool-Spurs Att: 70687

1953 Blackpool-Spurs Att: 68221

1954 WBA-Port Vale Att: 68221

1956 Man City-Spurs Att: 69788

Given my limited feel of British Social history most of the crowd are not in the traditional flap cap look, so I would guess it would be one of the later 1950's one myself. That is based on complete guesswork and no facts.  Like most Birmingham Mail Villa articles. 

• 1 month later...
Â