Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

On 28/03/2021 at 08:38, Dave-R said:

VIlla 3 Man utd 1 Coca cola cup final. 1993-94

Still a wonderful game to watch..

I can't ever recall a noisier cup final!!

It's been going on now for about n hour n half now!!

Fun fact for everyone, the lad with the 'Hello Mom' sign at 1:36 is @lapal_fan's brother. His dad is the good looking chap stood next to the man in the green and black muller shirt.

shooting star GIF

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Fun fact for everyone, the lad with the 'Hello Mom' sign at 1:36 is @lapal_fan's brother. His dad is the good looking chap stood next to the man in the green and black muller shirt.

shooting star GIF

Really this is true??

That's ace then..

I were 3 year old when this game was played but if it's one game I wished I could of seen because of the rivalry, Heart, passion and determination by both sides to win in that day, it would be Villa V Birmingham City 1983.

Game looked brutal and I am trying to find a full recorded game to it..

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I went to that, as a teenager. I don't remember the penalty miss by Noel Blake, just the amount of rain and the goal and people absolutely crammed at the rear of the Hole because the front was exposed to the weather. I had a notion Frank Worthington got sent off, which isn't on the video - maybe that was the year before, or after? 

20 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I were 3 year old when this game was played but if it's one game I wished I could of seen because of the rivalry, Heart, passion and determination by both sides to win in that day, it would be Villa V Birmingham City 1983.

That brings back some memories. I remember being in The Old Contemptibles, that night with my mates and seeing Noel Blake with his girlfriend (who I knew). I had a quick chat and I think he had got the mistaken impression that I might be a Nose. On the way out, I grinned and said "Unlucky today Noel, loved you penalty by the way." From the look on his face, it seemed that I might have hit a bit of a raw nerve, so we didn't hang about on our way to the next pub! :D.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John said:

That brings back some memories. I remember being in The Old Contemptibles, that night with my mates and seeing Noel Blake with his girlfriend (who I knew). I had a quick chat and I think he had got the mistaken impression that I might be a Nose. On the way out, I grinned and said "Unlucky today Noel, loved you penalty by the way." From the look on his face, it seemed that I might have hit a bit of a raw nerve, so we didn't hang about on our way to the next pub! :D.   

Big Villa pub at the time John, Old C's as was the Cabin and the Windsor if I recall 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 16:57, NoelVilla said:

Love the people in the crowd doing that little pre celebration when it looks like the balls going in but they're not entirely sure then the bigger jump when it definitely goes in.  We've all been there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

108 years ago today – winning our fifth FA Cup against league champions Sunderland. I always think the quality of the footage from that day is remarkable (on Villa Boy’s You Tube channel), especially when played at 75% speed. The cameraman might have missed Tommy Barber’s winner and Charlie Wallace’s wayward penalty, but he does capture some excellent dribbling from Clem Stephenson and Joe Bache down the left, as well as Harry Hampton sticking the ball in the net (2:20 – ruled out for a dubious offside) and Tom Lyons making an impressive goal-line block with his chest (4:30).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2021 at 11:35, Five Ken McNaughts said:

108 years ago today – winning our fifth FA Cup against league champions Sunderland. I always think the quality of the footage from that day is remarkable (on Villa Boy’s You Tube channel), especially when played at 75% speed. The cameraman might have missed Tommy Barber’s winner and Charlie Wallace’s wayward penalty, but he does capture some excellent dribbling from Clem Stephenson and Joe Bache down the left, as well as Harry Hampton sticking the ball in the net (2:20 – ruled out for a dubious offside) and Tom Lyons making an impressive goal-line block with his chest (4:30).

It is fantastic to be able to delve into the past to watch this pre WW1 Villa team in action isn't it? 

• Like 4

On 19/04/2021 at 11:35, Five Ken McNaughts said:

The attendance for this game was 121,919 apparently 😲

• Like 1

On 28/03/2021 at 17:59, PaulC said:

I saw that one they were dirty sods then Barcelona. 

What amazes me that was early 31,000 people there. The place was rocking but nowhere near full which is a shame because I’ll remember this game for life

5 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

What amazes me that was early 31,000 people there. The place was rocking but nowhere near full which is a shame because I’ll remember this game for life

By the early 80s crowds were low all around the country apart from maybe Liverpool. we only average 33000 when we won the league and that was only boosted by Local Derbies plus Man U, Liverpool plus the clash against Ipswich. 

50 minutes ago, PaulC said:

By the early 80s crowds were low all around the country apart from maybe Liverpool. we only average 33000 when we won the league and that was only boosted by Local Derbies plus Man U, Liverpool plus the clash against Ipswich. 

You know something from that season (league winning) that I still think about, why could we not of got the extra 2 people in against the Albion for a full house? 

Edited by Follyfoot

Â