English managers

kurtsimonw

23 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Luis Enrique - effectively promoted from within after being loaned to roma ;)
Mourinho - promoted from within at Benfica, quit following a new president being elected (tbf i didnt know that)
Conte - not at a high level or very succesful other than getting bari promoted, spent 10 years kicking round as a coach and manager
Guardiola - promoted from within
Zidane - promoted from within
Villanova - promoted from within

was going to say something about barca not poaching managers but the more i thought about it i was struggling to think of any of the big teams that currently employ a manager they paid for

jose, klopp, conte, enrique, guardiola, zidane, emery, ancelotti, tuchel, allegri were all unemployed, 4 of them i think had been sacked at their previous job, in their last 5 barca have employed 2 from within, 2 that were sacked and poached martino, 3 of the 5 were ex players

i think simeone is the only one, atletico got him from racing club (im not including spurs ffs)

i might be wrong here but in the prem we currently have howe as promoted from within and howe and bilic as ex players managing their club, thats it, cant be bothered to do the stats properly, might do it while emmerdale is on but id guess la liga and serie a have higher than that

• Like 1

sod it, got bored at work

Premier league

ex players managing teams - 2

promoted from within - 1 and i didnt know howe had left bournemouth for burnley and then gone back

never played - 1

la liga 

ex players managing teams - 9

promoted from within - 5 (+ enrique if you want to include him)

i think there are 3 managers who never played

serie A

ex players managing teams - 6

promoted from within - 3

2 that never played

bundesliga (18 teams)

ex players managing teams - 4

promoted from within 6

2 that never played

theres definitely a disparity

• Like 4

well i had to do something during emmerdale...

foreign managers - Premier League (16), Bundesliga (7), La Liga (5), Serie A (3) (PL includes 2 welsh 1 scot)

Managers who were international players - La Liga (13), Serie A (8), Premier League (7), Bundesliga (6)

Won league / cup / continental as player (1 for each) - La Liga (25), Premier League (20), Serie A (19), Bundesliga (11)

Won league / cup / continental as a manager (1 for each, not including post appointment wins) - Premier League (23), La Liga (8), Bundesliga (7), Serie A (5)

Think that says a lot tbf, we chase already successful managers, la liga gives successful players a chance, the stats dont show it but serie a appoints a mixture of journeymen managers and international players, bundesliga doesnt seem to care about your CV

there are 2 world cup winners coaching across the 4 leagues at the moment, one of them might be obvious, the other isnt and in a very different role

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Think that says a lot tbf, we chase already successful managers, la liga gives successful players a chance, the stats dont show it but serie a appoints a mixture of journeymen managers and international players, bundesliga doesnt seem to care about your CV

there are 2 world cup winners coaching across the 4 leagues at the moment, one of them might be obvious, the other isnt and in a very different role

Backs up what I am trying to say, so appreciate the research. :thumb:

I understand why Premier League clubs do it, there's so much money over here that owners worry about risking it on an unknown. The same can be said with players, why at any point risk putting a young player in the team when you can afford to buy the ready made thing? Someone made a point about Jack Charlton being the only England WC winner who did anything as a manager, as if it was a negative. Well there's only 2 in the top league's now - 1 of which is 8 points from safety.

Though I agree with most of the article in the Media & Punditry thread, aimed at Merson/Thompson complaining about Marco Silva, there was a line in there that summed it up the general lack of thought towards English managers in general. In reference to Merson/Thompson suggesting managers from the Championship, it pointed out that a number of them are foreign and that "Houghton/Monk have 'had their chance' in the Premier League" Really? They've had their chance? Gary Monk took over Swansea 2 points from relegation, they finished 9 points clear. He made a clear difference. In his first full season he steered them to 8th/56 points - the best in the clubs history. The following season he was sacked early December, they did start poorly and sat in 15th. Was he given the benefit of his previous season being very good, no? The funny little stat in this is that the year before Monk finishing 8th with 56 points, Southampton finished in the same position, with the same point total. That manager was rewarded with the Spurs job.  They also mentioned Houghton, who got promoted with Newcastle and was sacked upon their return for being in a comfortable 12th position. He had a good year with Norwich finishing midtable, then did a poorer job the following year, but the club did sit 5 points clear of relegation upon his sacking (they went down after getting rid of him). If this same kind of "failure" thinking happened elsewhere, Klopp and Conte would not be here, both of whom were surely 'failures' after suffering relegations. Monk and Houghton had a bad few months and were sacked from it. Klopp was given the opportunity to try and return with Mainz (like Burnley have done with Dyche, to their credit), Conte was sacked like the 2 Englishmen - but later rewarded with the top job in Italy after gaining promotion with Siena. Monk/Houghton for the United job when they come up then, yeah?

• Like 1

havent read all thread just some....

i feel like talking to supporters from other leagues they view managers different (dont know how true it actually is or just forum is like-minded people)...but...it does super feel like managers here are criticized way  more for everything compared to them. Some defender makes defensive mistake couple of games in a row.."manager cant set up defence". You lose = bad manager. You lose multiple games = even more bad manager..   you win = good manager.   When theres a bunch of variables which get attributed to the manager which arnt their fault at all. A ton of people (and media) seem super short term results orientated thinking here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also i think it got semi covered. Talk of top english managers (i dont see different between british and english?) making top teams....Is there a difference between englishmanagers lower prem table position in table compared to foreigners making it at top teams here?  theres: Moyes -> united....Poch -> spurs....rodgers -> plop.    Who else? harry -> spurs?    am i missing anyone last 10 years where a foreign guy managed below top 7 and got top 4 job? Just seems a case of top teams have huge money and employing managers who have a bad season or two from other leagues rather than "english (british) guys suck". and english media/fans sucking.

managers are so so over rated in terms of actual club

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

i know he isnt English but we dont seem to have a Boro thread. another petulant tantrum from Aitor Karanka

Aitor Karanka has accused Middlesbrough’s supporters of having a short memory and says they contributed to the 3-1 defeat at home to West Ham.

The Spaniard’s bizarre tirade is sure to anger fans, who had roared their team forward during the closing stages.

Karanka was not happy, saying: ‘I was really upset with the last 10 minutes because we didn’t play in the way we know how and it was because the atmosphere was awful.

‘The fans demanded a lot of the players. We don’t know how to play that way. Playing that way we didn’t create one chance. The team was broken on the pitch.

‘They need to understand where we were last season, two seasons ago. I think the players deserve more respect. They demanded too much.

‘When you have thousands of people asking for long balls, in the end we have to play long balls, and it’s a style we don’t know to play.

‘We didn’t play one game like that in the Championship last season and we got promoted. It is a thing we have to fix because while I am here we are not going to play long balls. 

‘I said, I think last season, that they have a small memory. If I was a player and the crowd leaves five or 10 minutes before the finish, and three years ago the team was going to League One, I would feel not good.

‘They knew this season was going to be a tough season for everybody. But they can’t forget where the club was last season, two, three, four, five and six seasons ago.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4143750/Boro-boss-Aitor-Karanka-blasts-fans-awful-atmosphere.html

Wes Brom have been a lot more entertaining this season.

They play to their strengths. 8th in the Premier League is wonderful for them, when the 7 teams above them have resources that dwarf them.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe I should set up an Aitor Karanka diva thread

Aitor Karanka, the Middlesbrough manager, has followed up an attack on supporters by apparently picking a row with the club’s board after suggesting he has been let down in the transfer market.

Karanka appears to be close to breaking point as the pressure of a Premier League relegation battle takes its toll on the increasingly volatile Spaniard.

Although Boro chairman Steve Gibson is widely regarded as one of the best and most supportive chairman in English football, Karanka could be on a collision course with Middlesbrough’s benefactor after he suggested he will take the blame for other people’s failures

Middlesbrough have signed two new strikers this month in Rudy Gestede and Patrick Bamford at a combined cost of around £12 million, to take the number of signings since promotion to 14, but Karanka feels more are needed and lashed out at those above him.

Middlesbrough have failed with attempts to bring in Bojan from Stoke and Robert Snodgrass from Hull this month. A move for PSG’s Jesé Rodríguez is also unlikely to be successful.

“We need to improve the team, and the club knew a month and a half ago the players that I wanted,” said Karanka, whose side are four points clear of the drop zone.

“I always said the aim in the transfer window was to improve the squad. At the moment, we haven’t done that. We will be disappointed if nobody else comes in, but I have tried my best.

“Teams in our position are signing players for £14 million – we are signing players that didn’t play in the Championship [Gestede]. “Patrick didn’t play for almost 18 months, so I don’t think it is an amazing improvement. We can see, and the people who know Patrick, know that he is not currently the same as he was 18 months ago.

“If we are expecting that Patrick was going to arrive and score five goals straight away then we are making a big mistake because he is not ready now.

“I don’t know why we haven’t signed our targets. That is not my job. I am the coach. It is easy [to accept] because, here, and for whatever reason, I am blamed. It is always going to be the same. I am the one responsible, and I am used to that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/30/middlesbrough-manager-aitor-karanka-hits-board-lack-new-players/

I think Dean Smith is a quality underrated manager.

Some of the football Brentford played tonight was pure quality tika taka barca stuff.

It's also the second time i have seen him this season against us make a tactical tweak during a game where we were on top and nullify us completely.

You would think any team would have been a bit fearsome tonight with us throwing in the big guns in midfield like Hourihane/Lansbury midfielder who has played in the champions league but they showed us zero respect and destroyed us.

• Like 1

Â