Preview: Manchester United Visit Villa Park

JohnCresswell

Yes, it’s that time of year. Time to add on an extra 30 minutes time to travel to the stadium due to the congestion that the gloryhunting Brummie ‘U-night-ed’ fans traveling from their homes for their one game a season bring with them.

Kick Off ?

Saturday 20th October 2007, 5.15pm

Where Can I Watch It Live?

This game is bring broadcast live on Setanta Sports in England. Setanta are a subscription only channel. Radio wise, the game may also be live on Radio WM and of course, will be commentated on by Jack Woodward on Villa World – another pay for channel available on our official website.

What is the history between the two sides?

It’ll be no shock that Villa have lost the majority of these games in recent years. At the end of the day Manchester United are a vastly superior side to ourselves, a side who we should be looking to try to emulate. In short, we haven’t beaten them in the League since 1995 – that’s twelve years ago. These games do tend to normally end up as rather good games though. Last year they managed to stick eight goals past us in the two league games and FA Cup tie, but Villa took Manchester United very close to a reply in that game and would have done – if stand-in goalkeeper Gab Kiraly had closed his legs while stopping a low shot.

Recent memories for me of this game in of course the last time we beat them, 3-1 with a host of new signings looking very exciting indeed, the league cup victory in 1999 when Mark Bosnich returned to the club for the first time and the Villa fans produced a hostile atmosphere for him that I haven’t witnessed since, the FA Cup game where we managed to get ourselves 2-0 up and to mess it up (sound familiar?) and of course, the 1994 League Cup Final.

No joy in the league, mind.

What’s the team news?

With players still arriving back from international duty, expect Alex Ferguson to swap it around a bit. I’d be surprised if Tevez makes a start due to his long trip back from Argentina.

Villa seem to have escaped injury over the international break, but question marks remain on Olof Mellberg who was previously ruled out of this game before playing and scoring for Sweden on Wednesday and Martin Laursen, who surely cannot continue to play two games a week. Craig Gardner also has a slight niggling injury and John Carew isn’t going to be fit in time.

What’s the Prediction?

My heart is saying one thing, my head another. So if you want to listen to my heart, then 70-0 to Villa. My head is saying 2-0 to Manchester United.

Why Should We Beat Them?

Because we haven’t for so long. Because we’ve done it to Chelsea, lets show it wasn’t a fluke. Because a lot of their fans tend to be the stereotype that is given of them – arrogant, boring and think the world owes them a favour. Terry Christian is a complete word removed. The arrogance of calling their stadium the “Theatre of Dreams”. Chin up lads, its just another soulless plastic round bowl. The frankly pathetic refereeing decisions they constantly get in favour of themselves and their constant nagging at the officials all game. Manchester trying to give the impression that it’s anything other than a dump constantly rained on in the north west. The signings of Dwight Yorke and Mark Bosnich and the nature in which they were both carried out.

Why Should We Like Them?

Fellow American owners, and lets face it, they’ve got some decent players too.

I like the preview format, especially the return of Why Should We Beat Them and the introduction of a Why Should We Like Them counter-point - is it going to be a regular thing?

Thanks mattster - the preview has been missing for a while so I thought I'd bring it back with a new spin. I'll keep it going for now and hopefully it'll be popular.

Very nice preview. I think I'll amend a bit of the "Where Can I Watch It Live?". If you live in the United States, then you'll be able to catch the game at 11:15am CST. I for one will be!

Thanks for the info. If anyone else has any idea about media coverage then please post it - the more info for people the better.

I like the preview format, especially the return of Why Should We Beat Them and the introduction of a Why Should We Like Them counter-point - is it going to be a regular thing?

Thanks mattster - the preview has been missing for a while so I thought I'd bring it back with a new spin. I'll keep it going for now and hopefully it'll be popular.

Very nice preview. I think I'll amend a bit of the "Where Can I Watch It Live?". If you live in the United States, then you'll be able to catch the game at 11:15am CST. I for one will be!

Thanks for the info. If anyone else has any idea about media coverage then please post it - the more info for people the better.

Oops. I missed the most important piece of information! It will be on Fox Soccer Channel at 11:15am CST! Live and in color! Wooo HOOO!! UTV!! LETS GET THOSE 3 POINTS!

Â