Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

This is a meeting between the two most successful teams in the Midlands (despite what deluded WBA fans might currently claim). Wolves have been league champions 3 times, have lifted the FA Cup 4 times and have won the League Cup twice.

They last beat us at The Molineux in 1978 and we have won 6 of our 9 visits there since then.

This is a local derby so results can be unpredictable although the last 9 of our visits do suggest that a trend has now developed. They had the better of the game at Villa Park earlier this season so this will not be easy (nothing is away from Villa Park this season). We need a win and I hope we can just about get one. 2-1 it is then.         

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John said:

This is a meeting between the two most successful teams in the Midlands (despite what deluded WBA fans might currently claim). Wolves have been league champions 3 times, have lifted the FA Cup 4 times and have won the League Cup twice.

They last beat us at The Molineux in 1978 and we have won 6 of our 9 visits there since then.

This is a local derby so results can be unpredictable although the last 9 of our visits do suggest that a trend has now developed. They had the better of the game at Villa Park earlier this season so this will not be easy (nothing is away from Villa Park this season). We need a win and I hope we can just about get one. 2-1 it is then.         

Dougan

Richards before he went Banana

Always a workman like team, must admit that thee Albiun had a bit of flair about them in the 60/70's, Astle, Brown, Giles, Hartford, Robson and of course Regis & Batson (who both played for us)

There was a time when SHA, WBA, Wolves, Coventry, Lesta & Darbie were all in the top league whilst we were on a roll in Div 3 & 2

Still, it was soooooooo good passing them by 1 by 1 as they all nosedived and we became Champions of England & Europe

Would love to see

Sammy J

Elphick Chester Baker

Jedi

Adomah      Tish        Amavi

McC        Grealish

Gaby

(unfortunately)

But I think SB will go

Sammy J

Hutton Chester Baker Amavi

Tish  Jedi

Adomah     McC      Grealish

Gaby

Edited by Grasshopper

25 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Not sure if you know but erm... There's a small unknown competition called AFCON going on...

No I did not know. I was on holiday and completely forgot that even existed. SO I guess Gabby in Kodjia's place and Grealish for Ayew. 

I was at the Custard Bowl on Boxing Day (I know, I know, don't ask, family shite) and saw them beat Bristol City 3-2. They came back from 2-1 down. They looked pretty well organised to be honest, and there are two Portuguese lads, Costa and Cavaleiro, who are both quite tricksy. Costa in particular played really well, he was a danger all afternoon and tormented Brizzle's left back. One thing I will say, if they play a guy called Enobakhare in midfield, he's the single worst passer of a football I've ever seen, we need to get up in his face early because that kid has tons of mistakes in him. He makes Jedinak and Sanchez look like Pirlo. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

One thing I will say, if they play a guy called Enobakhare in midfield, he's the single worst passer of a football I've ever seen, we need to get up in his face early because that kid has tons of mistakes in him. He makes Jedinak and Sanchez look like Pirlo. 

Blimey, I'm just amazed no-one has signed him for us in the last 5 years.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

a gruelling Lambertesque 0-0 draw which will bore viewers around the world

They don't seem to have that Lambert, they seem to have the 12/13 season Lambert.  A fair amount of goals scored but loads conceded.

They seem pretty bad at home under him (better away) but I'm sure our poor away form will negate that.

Just please please don't use Gabby and I'll be happy.  He's as close as you can get to wasting a starting place.  I would rather play with no striker than play with him and no that's not me being facetious.  Although I know I won't get my way.  Bruce wants to give him a 'run of games'.  So I suppose I'd better just hope he can somehow prove me wrong.

• Like 1

Wolves poor at home, Villa poor away. Another treat for the TV masses, 1-1. Anyone know if Villa fans are going to be housed in that stand behind the goal as well as the side stand, similar to the friendly a few years ago? Should make for a decent atmosphere if so.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Just please please don't use Gabby and I'll be happy.  He's as close as you can get to wasting a starting place.  I would rather play with no striker than play with him and no that's not me being facetious.  Although I know I won't get my way.  Bruce wants to give him a 'run of games'.  So I suppose I'd better just hope he can somehow prove me wrong.

I agree, his few minutes against Cardiff were hopeful but the last game at Tottenham he was ineffectual as I've seen him. I admire Bruce for trying, I just hope he comes to the same realisation as me as soon as possible.

5 hours ago, turvontour said:

Wolves poor at home, Villa poor away. Another treat for the TV masses, 1-1. Anyone know if Villa fans are going to be housed in that stand behind the goal as well as the side stand, similar to the friendly a few years ago? Should make for a decent atmosphere if so.

Exactly this, all of Steve Bull Lower as per then a section of the North Bank behind the goal upper and lower.

Villa's gonna get ya!