• Davis (Adomah 77)
    • Green (Jedinak 78)
    • McCormack (for Agbonlahor 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

Murphy really doesn't like us does he?

Agreed I think he had a stiffy because he got to slag Villa off so much.

Edited by Harry

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

We were pretty solid for most of the game. It may have been a weakened team but this was never going to be an easy fixture.

What I'm more pissed off about is the commentating. It felt as if they were annoyed that we hadn't come there and just laid down from the first minute for an 8-0 thrashing.

This basically sums up what I was thinking. The game today reminded me how much I despise the Premiership. From the media, to the refereeing. They discussed we spent £55 million on players so we should compete yet they slip that a £30 million reserve in Sissoko was getting a rare start. The whole thing upsets me. This club and its fans deserves the best and I struggle to accept the worship and patronising comments from media pundits.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are people really calling it a Spurs B team? Son Davies Wimmer Trippier Sissoko are all better than anything we've got. Laughable

It is there B team though. They have better. The players you've mentioned would all get in our first team but they are struggling to get into the Spurs 11 on a Premeirship match day. I find it sad Aston Villa F.C one of the best football clubs in the world can't compete with this.

14 hours ago, Mantis said:

We were pretty solid for most of the game. It may have been a weakened team but this was never going to be an easy fixture.

What I'm more pissed off about is the commentating. It felt as if they were annoyed that we hadn't come there and just laid down from the first minute for an 8-0 thrashing.

Its why they put it on the telly after all 

All I will say is, well done to our away support at this game - you were all we could hear on the TV. Liked the European Cup tease-chant!! Good to see Johnstone get an instant game, and we learned that he likes to 'fist...' <insert Kenneth Williams meme>

I'll probably never watch a match on BBC ever again - their commentary, summariser and studio pundits are a shower of voluminous pish. Terrible attitudes.

For Villa - with no further Cup distractions between now and May, by gosh they had better pull their socks up and deliver. Not one single 90 minute performance from us as yet. All this 'potential' and 'determined resilience' rhetoric. Come on boys, time to deliver. Too many half-arsed performances over the last few weeks. I have faith in the manager, but the Club needs to grab the bull by the horns now. Or be damned to another year, down here...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

For those saying they are concerned that we lost to a Spurs B team, just have a look at the cost of today's starting line ups:

Spurs £120m v £40m Villa
And that's without even taking wages into consideration

The BBC made a big deal out of the £50m we spent in the summer, but like it or not, it was always going to take that kind of investment in the squad simply to buck us out of our tailspin down the divisions.  That money bought us just enough quality individuals to make us competitive, but it didn't buy us a team - like it or not that takes time. Other Championship teams with more cohesiveness may have tested them a bit more, but very few if any would have won the tie, so let's not worry too much about that.

My positives:

Bruce got his tactics spot on for what we were capable of. Gabby scuffs that shot in or Baker gets a head on that corner and who knows what might have happened.  Playing like that was our best hope.

The new GK showed enough in one game to tell me we have improved that position significantly.

Gabby is making an effort and whatever you think of him, we need every little help we can get.

Chester and Baker continue to look an impressive pairing.

We're still a right back, a proper left winger and two midfielders - all of significant quality, away from serious playoff contenders, and our attacking play needs to seriously improve - however we're a team going in the right direction.

blimey , a sensible post ...

• Like 1

I know he is an exceptional talent playing in an exceptional team....and they say one man don't make a team, but When Delle Alli came on you could clearly see the difference.

His running alone was purposeful and objective, his work on the ball was precise and slick.

If we want to progress we have to up the work rate ( particularly off the ball)and the quality of our work.

I know we was up against a top side..... but I am comparing in my minds eye when we was in the lower division years ago and we played the top teams in the cup, we put in more effort, drive and desire and played with more purpose.

I think our team, show effort on the surface, but its like a lazy effort of sorts.....It lacks substance and depth, there is no deep rooted desire to succeed.... we run, for running sake and run without purpose or belief.....It just satisfies the stats.

I look at our players and they look full of meloncholy and a disgust that they are in this division.

I do not see us getting out of this division with most of them.

Perhaps we/I are/am expecting too much too soon....I think Steve will do it but not in the timescale a lot of us including me ......ideally want.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

It is there B team though. They have better. The players you've mentioned would all get in our first team but they are struggling to get into the Spurs 11 on a Premeirship match day. I find it sad Aston Villa F.C one of the best football clubs in the world can't compete with this.

The sadness for me is......Its not just quality, we can't compete with.

In an effort to up the quality( transfers), to fight our way back.....we have lost the heart& soul.....a lot of these players are just half arsed and it shows.

I think the present guys know.....but it is going to take one hell of a turn around.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

The sadness for me is we lost without having a go. Might as well loose 5-1 and at least had a go at them. You see some lower league teams do that so its not just about quality.

Just think its not that long ago we won there because a manager was prepared to have a go.

Edited by PaulC

johnstone - very good - could well be the goalkeeper solution.

hutton -- gives all , useful going forward - weak link in defence.

chester -- good.

baker -- good.

amavi -- inconsistent - varies from brilliant to awful.

jedinak -- good but needs resting between games.

tishoba -- good - promising strong confident - some guile - gets caught out - should improve with game time .

adohma - good - automatic pick.

bacuna - very useful versatile but not a wide man - better central midfield.

grealish - automatic pick - just hope he steps up a few gears.

agbonlahor - must play - he give defenses a hard time - still fast - always challenges in the air - better wide left  .

mccormack - i see nothing there - 12 million wasted.

bruce -- when he took agbonlahor and jedinak off , that decided the result - with them we could have scraped a draw and replay .

Edited by jackdaww
hit wrong key

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Perhaps we/I are/am expecting too much too soon....I think Steve will do it but not in the timescale a lot of us including me ......ideally want.

Steve has never demonstrated long term ability. He's a bit Pardew like but with a longer half-life. Unfortunately, the depth of the hole we were/are in will probably use up all of his good time. Playoffs or he should be sacked.

Watched the game on the telly......hate watching Villa on tv.....normally they lose.

But just want to say I am proud at how much noise our supporters made it sounded like a home game...well done to all that went and had to face the ordeal of the tube strike after the game.

BTW let's give SB a break, let him do what he needs to do, he is the best and most experienced guy we could get.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2017 at 03:08, Kiwivillan said:

Are people really calling it a Spurs B team? Son Davies Wimmer Trippier Sissoko are all better than anything we've got. Laughable

Surely how they compare in ability to our team is irrelevant as to whether they're a Spurs B Team or not.

On 09/01/2017 at 12:04, jackdaww said:

blimey , a sensible post ...

I'll have you know every post I've ever made has been sensible, and not silly in the slightest.

mOQdBK.gif

• Like 1

Â