• Grealish
    • Agbonlahor
    • Davis (Adomah 77)
    • Green (Jedinak 78)
    • McCormack (for Agbonlahor 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

A key difference for me today was speed. Speed of thought, speed of passing, speed over the ground.

Spurs were quicker than us, and seemed to do everything with a bit more intensity.

Hopefully was good experience for a few of us today. Thought we did well though against some quality players.

• Like 1

Just now, KHV said:

Spent a fortune in the summer and still painfully awful at going forwards or creating anything. 

Quite shite to be fair

In fairness, a large chunk of that money was spent on a player who's at AFCON right now.

Minus Gabby (which is fair considering his record in the last few years) that Villa starting XI had scored around 15 goals combined in their Villa careers. Is it any surprise that we are of zero threat going forward in this games, or games in the Championship? This squad is always going to struggle to threaten any team at any level.

On the positive side we are beginning to look more solid, mistakes are rarer and the keeper we don't own had a great debut. We didn't get embarrassed and didn't look overly stretched when we were defending with discipline. Tish has improved the midfield but I still think Jedinak only gets in to the squad due to his beard! He's weaker than Westwood or Gardner and think they would have performed better with Tshibola.

On a final note, Grealish once again proved he is ridiculously over rated. No one is going to be chasing his signature. The local boy that Spurs have (Winks) had much more impact on the game, strolling past Grealish on several occasions; not seen his name splashed on the front pages either...

• Like 1

I didn't particularly rate Tshibola's game today. Better than Westwood and Gardner, yes. But we still need more creative and penetration from our midfield. 

I'd still start Tish against wolves but I'd hope we can find some quality quickly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

In fairness, a large chunk of that money was spent on a player who's at AFCON right now.

its still painful when he plays 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

He's probably still bitter from the stick he got from Villa fans after his last unprovoked attack on Villa. 

As a pundit isn't his job to give a rounded non biased description of the event?. Instead he just uses his time to put the boot in to where he thinks

it will hurt. I dont know why they use him,he's very poor

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Was ok. Not brilliant, but we weren't embarrassed and made a few chances and to me it suggests we may not be so far off the pace in the PL if we were to get promoted. Certainly I thought we looked better than against spurs in recent years.

While I was fine with the result, this was still a comfortable victory for a second string prem side against us. Let's not kid ourselves 

10 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I didn't particularly rate Tshibola's game today. Better than Westwood and Gardner, yes. But we still need more creative and penetration from our midfield. 

I'd still start Tish against wolves but I'd hope we can find some quality quickly. 

He just slows play down everytime he's on the ball. Takes too many touches and doesn't play with any energy or tempo. Still miles better than gardwood though. 

• Like 2

Thought we played well if unspectacular.

Tish is comfortable and confident on the ball and knows how to put a tackle in. Massive upgrade on the other pair.

Gabby kept their defenders honest. Say what you want but he still panics defenders.

Johnstone was very good. Commanded his area and made some smart saves.

Bacuna worked his bollocks off and helped nullify Trippier.

Weak areas for me were in attack. We don't move as a unit and movement off the call is still a big issue.

A few lapses in concentration at the back were punished as well.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Best bit for me, listening to the match on the radio, was the commentator saying just before half time that when the Villa fans stopped singing, you could hear a pin drop.

That was exactly the case. It was eerie. Really weird atmosphere. Villa fans were immense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Pretty much the above.

Surprised at the reaction here. For most of the game Villa A were playing against Spurs B and no ambition was shown to win the game, none. It was an absolutely abysmal performance which lacked any type of quality and that game was lost before the players went onto the pitch.

Its like playing in the Championship has become a comfy pair of slippers for the Villa and when you come up against a Premiership team now, even a B team you expect to lose.

So much wrong with that mentality and it hasn't changed any since being relegated. In fact it's gotten worse. 

As the quoted post above stated a decent Championship team with a better mentality would have asked more than a few questions of that Spurs team today. Villa just rolled over and got their tummy tickled.

Completely disagree with all of this.

Â