• Agbonlahor
    • Davis (Adomah 77)
    • Green (Jedinak 78)
    • McCormack (for Agbonlahor 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

That was exactly the case. It was eerie. Really weird atmosphere. Villa fans were immense. 

It looked like the stadium was only half full on TV. Plenty of empty seats. 

14 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Minus Gabby (which is fair considering his record in the last few years) that Villa starting XI had scored around 15 goals combined in their Villa careers. Is it any surprise that we are of zero threat going forward in this games, or games in the Championship? This squad is always going to struggle to threaten any team at any level.

On the positive side we are beginning to look more solid, mistakes are rarer and the keeper we don't own had a great debut. We didn't get embarrassed and didn't look overly stretched when we were defending with discipline. Tish has improved the midfield but I still think Jedinak only gets in to the squad due to his beard! He's weaker than Westwood or Gardner and think they would have performed better with Tshibola.

On a final note, Grealish once again proved he is ridiculously over rated. No one is going to be chasing his signature. The local boy that Spurs have (Winks) had much more impact on the game, strolling past Grealish on several occasions; not seen his name splashed on the front pages either...

• First impressions, encouraged by the new keeper.....looks very confident.
  • jedinak weaker than the anonymous bros.....nah
  • More solid yeah.....except Amavi has joined the lightweight brigade.
  • No threat up front....but we can't afford to be without our biggest threat
  • Grealish brings his concerns, but might look different in a better team

steve has a lot to do.....but we all know that.

1 hour ago, dounavilla said:

I'm starting to see why Tish has not has a look in. 

On the upside Johnson looks good.

Not a dig at you personally mate but there isnt the word TISH anywhere within the structure of his name. I'm a bit OCD so it annoys me. Anyway, nothing to see here....:)

14 minutes ago, striker said:

Pretty much the above.

Surprised at the reaction here. For most of the game Villa A were playing against Spurs B and no ambition was shown to win the game, none. It was an absolutely abysmal performance which lacked any type of quality and that game was lost before the players went onto the pitch.

Its like playing in the Championship has become a comfy pair of slippers for the Villa and when you come up against a Premiership team now, even a B team you expect to lose.

So much wrong with that mentality and it hasn't changed any since being relegated. In fact it's gotten worse. 

As the quoted post above stated a decent Championship team with a better mentality would have asked more than a few questions of that Spurs team today. Villa just rolled over and got their tummy tickled.

Look, I know what you are saying and I am not dismissing it but,

we have just played the inform side in the Prem, despite some of their seconds having a run out,they are a confident outfit, capable of rollering teams.

We conversely are a bunch trying to rebuild our confidence and it's imperative we do not get steam rollered....he had to play it like this.

just to compound the issues our biggest threat is away and they had to fetch theirs off the bench in the end in order to get a result.

you are right, its more than midfield.....but it will take time.....other clubs are not going to send us their best players, with a bow ribbon around them.

we are going to have to bide our time......but believe me.....there is a lot to do to put it right.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Not a dig at you personally mate but there isnt the word TISH anywhere within the structure of his name. I'm a bit OCD so it annoys me. Anyway, nothing to see here....:)

'cept I think it is pronounced TISHbola despite the spelling.

So that explains calling him Tish.

(Although on the basis of today's performance maybe "pish".) ;)

Voted Gabby MOTM (bear with me!) excellent work off the ball and helped us keep shape throughout, leading a disciplined performance from the front. Turns out he's not bad when he doesn't have to touch a football :P

I thought we set up perfectly and played very well to nullify them. Adomah and Bacuna in particular were excellent. At half time I was expecting praise from the pundits, remember we were playing a team (admittedly sans Kane/Alli/Dembele) who had just stopped Chelsea's record run of wins, and are probably going to finish in the top 3 of the premier league. We on the other hand are 12th in the Championship and our top goal scorer along with arguably most quality player are on international duty. The BBC clearly had other ideas! Awful coverage. I don't know what they expected... us to go there and roll over like we have 8/9 times against Spurs? We were left in no doubt as to why they had chosen to televise this game.

I've always thought Danny Murphy wasn't a bad pundit but maybe I was wrong! I think they were all gutted that Kane and Alli weren't on from the start.

Johnstone looks decent. Chester and Baker good again. Love Baker's song. Amavi poor again.

Grealish isn't a hold up player. Tshibola did alright, enough to start against Wolves. 

Didn't embarrass ourselves. In fact it's possibly the best defensive display I've seen from us in a couple of years! Hopefully Bristol City will win their replay which will give us one less game to play without Kodjia, and also a 10 day break between matches, whereas our next opponents after the 4th round (Brentford) will have a game 3 days prior to playing us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

'cept I think it is pronounced TISHbola despite the spelling.

So that explains calling him Tish.

(Although on the basis of today's performance maybe "pish".) ;)

It's not at all. It's pronounced Chibola. Unless you are David Pleat, and then it can be anything. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

Ok so I had to watch until the 70th minute, as I was at my dads and I agreed to stay until we conceded.

My take -

Keeper looks decent;

Baker & Chester are a good pairing.

We will never score goals with one up front if it's Gabby.

Not in the slightest bit bothered we are out, the FA Cup means **** all these days. In fact I was listening to the crap being spouted on Radio 5 I think it was, in the car on the way home, where the lady presenter was saying "the FA Cup has been devalued by teams playing a weakened side, comments on 0345...etc etc"

No missus, the FA Cup has been devalued by the BBC's constant "romantic" bollocks regarding small teams, then you and BT televise the Premier League Top 5's games.

The FA Cup has been devalued by stupid **** kick off times.

The FA Cup has been devalued by continual spunkfests over players like Harry **** Wink.

The FA Cup has been devalued by TV companies employing footballers as pundits who talk utter **** shit.

• Like 3

The last time we went to WHL we were a goal down inside a minute I think, so we've improved in that regard

for the first time in months, years even it looked like we had a gameplan.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

The last time we went to WHL we were a goal down inside a minute I think, so we've improved in that regard

for the first time in months, years even it looked like we had a gameplan.

You can clutch at straws all you like ,the fact is ,we are a dismal outfit . I've felt more excitement watching a game of chess .

Hutton looked very limited. Johnstone looked solid, would be great if he signed permanently. Absolutely NOTHING up top, nothing at all. Yes, Bruce picks Agbonlahor because he used to be quick, but if there was ever a case of playing on the faint memory of another decade it's Bruce playing Gabby. Why, oh why? Since his reintroduction, he has not looked close to scoring. Dump the mug, what a waste of space. 

If it didn't need saying, we really need a midfield, Albert looked out on his own today. 

We carried Zero threat, but didn't lose 4-0 which I thought would happen on their ground.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

Â