• Grealish
    • Agbonlahor
    • Davis (Adomah 77)
    • Green (Jedinak 78)
    • McCormack (for Agbonlahor 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

Damage limitation game there for us. We set up to keep the score down first half and then have a go late on. Tactics were spot on but Spurs were ultimately too strong for us.

Absolutely no shame in going out of the FA Cup to Tottenham, and realistically we could do without the extra games this season.

For me Sam Johnston looks great in goal, if he can perform like that for the rest of the season it looks like a great signing.

Tshibola was good in the middle of the park, passed the ball round (and forward!) and can hold on to it when necessary. With Lansbury next to him he will be fine for us.

On to the next one!

• Like 1

Think any complaints are a bit harsh.

Although it's a bitter pill to swallow, Spurs have a far better team than we do.  We set up in a defensive way but were organised and worked hard, and personally I don't think we could have asked for any more.  I'm actually really pleased with the players' efforts.  There's a lot of talk about us being more positive but, as pessimistic as it might sound, I think we'd have been behind a lot earlier if we wouldn't have paid so much attention to their threat, especially from wide areas.

Was very impressed with Johnstone and hopefully we sign him up permanently.  Chester and Baker are also showing that they're a very good partnership; Baker was disappointing for the second but he seemed to be still feeling the injury.  I wouldn't for a second suggest he's of the same quality, but I see a lot of Martin Laursen in Baker's play.

I hope we get a decent offer for McCormack this window and can invest the fee elsewhere.

• Like 2

Keeper was good, the manager did a good job of putting us into a position where we had some sort of chance - Amavi had a poor game I thought, Grealish and Gabby did okay, Bacuna had a really good first half, not so good second, Adomah worked really hard and it was nice to see Davis on.

Ho hum. Back to business.

• Like 3

I was really expecting a battering from Spurs so I'm pleased, I really don't understand why some Villa fans seem so disappointed. It would have been a disaster if we just went at them.

Johnstone and Tish our best players. BBC coverage was atrocious. 

• Like 2

A distraction and nothing more. Eyes back on the league please.

Saying that, Johnstone had a great game, could have been 5 or more without him. 

Baker played well, as did Chester apart from a moment of madness halfway through second half but he recovered ok.

Hutton is toilet. He needs to go.

Not a great night for Amavi, he really was very poor tonight.

Grealish needs to learn when to pass instead of holding up play before inevitably getting dispossessed.

McCormack I just don't rate at all, he is ineffectual, unwilling to get into games, looks bored/confused/uninterested. I'd give him a chance until the end of the season to prove himself or then bin him.

I was completely indifferent to everyone else but like I said, this was a nothing game.

• Like 1

How do you spell formality? Token resistance, well organised, never offered any serious goal threat. Successfully kept the numbers down a bit but not much more than that really?

Tish showed he should start I think against a very good Spurs midfield. New keeper looks good, do we have an option to buy or only loan? Need 4 more players in Jan if we want to go for promotion this year which going out of both cups will help. 

At least we didn't get humiliated which I think was Bruce's real aim. Hopefully we won't have to be satisfied with that in a few years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, limvillian said:

It is so depressing being a villa fan sometimes. So tame and heartless. Baker has had a shocker for me. What stood out to me was that with 3 mins left when spurs went to break there was 2 50/50 challenges. And both Davis and green chickened out of them . These lads are in their first few first team games. They should be so eager to get stuck in backing out shouldn't enter their heads but sadly at villa it does. We lack so much heart and drive. 

Depressing being a Villa fan, we lost to a Premiership side chasing the title?!

You're living in a dreamworld if you think we should be winning a game like that.

By no means a tame, heartless performance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Depressing being a Villa fan, we lost to a Premiership side chasing the title?!

You're living in a dreamworld if you think we should be winning a game like that.

By no means a tame, heartless performance.

It's very depressing to see how far we have fallen yes. Sad that a few years back we were a better side than spurs. Can you.get that? 

Tame and heartless is exactly how I'd describe that performance.  

Edited by limvillian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, limvillian said:

It is so depressing being a villa fan sometimes. So tame and heartless. Baker has had a shocker for me. What stood out to me was that with 3 mins left when spurs went to break there was 2 50/50 challenges. And both Davis and green chickened out of them . These lads are in their first few first team games. They should be so eager to get stuck in backing out shouldn't enter their heads but sadly at villa it does. We lack so much heart and drive. 

"Baker had a shocker"??? Are you sure,superb for me till he got injured.How many chances did their CF have before they had to hook him?

• Like 1

Didn't expect anything and didn't get anything. It would have been nice to look like we might score a goal but just like in the league, we are toothless up front and haven't got a clue going forward. I feel sorry for our defenders having to constantly cover up for the inabilities of those in front of them and the negative tactics of the manager.

2 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

"Baker had a shocker"??? Are you sure,superb for me till he got injured.How many chances did their CF have before they had to hook him?

I don't know how many chances he gave up pre getting injured but he gifted 3 chances at least in the 90 mins. 

Edited by limvillian

17 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

I'm starting to see why Tish has not has a look in. 

On the upside Johnson looks good.

Not sure if you may be joking. Tsibola played well, bettered only by Johnstone. Tsibola is a much better player than either Westwood or Gardner.

• Like 3

Â