Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

46 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Smith seems to really rate him, every time he talks about him he always speaks in glowing terms. As confusing as it might be to some of us who just don't rate him, I think I trust Smith. It's him that watches him train with Jack and SJM to see what kind of level he's at.

Villa fans haven't really seen him at his best. Hopelessly under-utilised under Bruce and had injury issues under Smith. He was one of the best midfielders in the championship when he came to us and definitely has quality. Used correctly he will prove to be a good asset to the squad. 

• Like 3

I still think there was a lot of legacy of Steve Bruce's style last season,even after he went..... it was working its way out gradually as the season progressed....but for me elements were still there.

You can clearly see now how different it is and he has players now who can do what he wants them to do......It will suit Henri, how far he can go with us, I am not sure......but, Jack and John are not the exceptions now, they are the rule.

Edited by TRO

27 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Biggest question over him is - can he stay injury free?

Be hard to see a way back for him if he does break down with a long term injury again. Last time they might have hurried him a bit too much to try and get him to cover for Grealish, I think Smith said something along those lines at the time. Seeing as that was a good while ago now hopefully they've better identified the primary problem and done work to sort it out.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah this was noticeable last season too. He went out of his way a couple of times to mention him. I think at minimum he's way ahead of Birkir in the mind of our head coach.

Let's put it this way, if Grealish were to pick up a knock tomorrow I'd prefer him to Hourihane. 

In terms of creativity from the little I've seen of Lansbury I reckon he'd be better than Hourihane in that regard. Hourihane would be good at keeping things moving and playing one touch and getting others involved, but I think maybe Lansbury would see a through ball that maybe he wouldn't. At DM I'm not sure, you'd probably think BB would be the better destroyer of the two, Lansbury streets ahead technically though with the ball. 

Who knows, maybe coming on late in a few games he'll get the opportunity to try and fulfill his potential and he'll grab it. Would be massive for us in terms of depth if he does turn out to be genuine first team material this season.

• Like 2

The much derided Hogan has had more good games for us than Lansbury has. Even in pre-season it was only really against Walsall and Shrewsbury that he looked half decent. With Hourihane McGInn, Luiz, Grealish and likely Marvelous, I think he's going to struggle to get game time, might even struggle to get on the bench. Smith has praised him, but wouldn't be surprised if that's in part because he's one of the players we'd like to get rid of, has cost the club a lot of money.

• Like 1

A luxury midfielder. I doubt we will have the time and space in the Premier League for him. But who knows, maybe he can change and thrive. He is being offered a chance by Smith. If I was him I would be working my ass off to take it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Hourihane is a better goal scorer and will play more games every season

I really don’t think that is true. In the games where Lansbury has played and scored, you will notice that he takes the long runs from midfield into the box. He did it in one of the pre season games and he did it in the season before. 

Furthermore, he isn’t as bad as people make him at set pieces. From what I remember, wasn’t he taking the set pieces for Nottingham?

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Hourihane is a better goal scorer and will play more games every season

This I don't disagree with but it would've been interesting to see how Lansbury performed last season if he switched places with Hourihane.

Naturally Hourihane wins any comparison because of his set piece ability and lack of injuries but I do think Lansbury edges him in other aspects. All ifs and buts I know but ultimately I certainly think he can play a role this season.

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If Grealish had done that backheel it would be getting ridiculous amounts of attention

Great game.

Do you think it was deliberate or hopeful?

Not that it particularly matters, he had a great game in any case.

Â