Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

On 24/10/2019 at 21:22, useless said:

He might well play against Wolves, but I'm not sure why people are expecting him to suddenly come good and give Smith something to think about, he's been at the club nearly three years now and done nothing. Probably been a worse signing than Hogan yet Hogan gets all the stick and people talk about Lansbury as if he should be in the side ahead of Hourihane. Whether it be because of injuries or there's something more going on unfortunately it just hasn't worked out for him, because of how much he's cost the club relative to what he's given he's probably the worst signing of the championship era after McCormack.

McCormack, Tishbola, Bree, DeLaat, Gollini, Hogan, Samba, Kalinic, Bjarnasson, Nyland of the Championship are all possibly worse signings from that era for different reasons. I think he is a very decent squad player. Clearly we can do better but He must be doing something right for the management to keep him on, he’s also taken his chances when given this year which is all you can ask, but midfield is our strongest position unfortunately for him. 

But these cup games have shown our strength in depth, and it’s a good position to be in. It also stops Jack, McGinn, Hourihane etc having to play as many games a season which over a season is valuable vs our perceived relegation rivals and ‘smaller’ clubs. It will be worth points over a season.

• Thanks 1

McCormack was obviously worse, but Tishbola wouldn't have cost any near as much in wages, nor would have Bree and Bree might still come good if not he will be easy enough to sell on to a championship club, Gollini we got our money back, Samba came into the side and did okay, probably didn't cost the club that much in wages, Bjarnason as limited as he might be in some ways made much more of a contribution than Lansbury. Kalinic it could be argued has been a worse signing, not sure if his wages are anything like Lansbury's but we paid a big fee for him, and apparently he's contracted to us until the summer of 2023 so probably going to prove to be quite costly for a goalkeeper who's not even second choice at the moment.

I wouldn’t disagree, but the criteria of each is different so basically subjective. My view is he is still here and fighting for a place, he’s been an injury burden (e.g. but so now is Chester) but has delivered this season now [mostly] fit. I would still keep him and it doesn’t feel a real waste (as Bree does to me for example). He will possibly be first to go in the summer though if he doesn’t figure much.

A gorgeous through pass for the first goal doesn't excuse his lacklustre performance. Offered even less than Hourihane managed to. Zero movement, zero desire to take the ball and drive forward with it.

Maybe I'm being harsh but besides his passing range (which isn't always perfect) I do not see what he offers.

Edited by AV82
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

A gorgeous through pass for the first goal doesn't excuse his lacklustre performance. Offered even less than Hourihane managed to. Zero movement, zero desire to take the ball and drive forward with it.

Maybe I'm being harsh but besides his passing range (which isn't always perfect) I do not see what he offers.

I thought he offered a lot more than Conor. It’s his first game for a while and has had injuries so wasn’t ever going to 100%. But for me anything good came through him and Luiz 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I thought he offered a lot more than Conor. It’s his first game for a while and has had injuries so wasn’t ever going to 100%. But for me anything good came through him and Luiz 

Fair point - I stand corrected. I do wish at times he'd take the extra touch and drive forward with the ball.

14 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I feel a bit sorry for him as his AVFC career has been stop start through injury.

We are blessed with dare I say quite a strong CM/AM core of the team right now but Lansbury defo has something to offer. He has the ability to move the ball forward quicker than someone like CH, Lansbury has a bit of zip in his passing and I think is always looking to be positive.

I thought he played well tonight alongside Dougie, CH the weaker of the 3.

cant see Lansbury starting any time soon but feel he is a healthy option off the bench and in fairness his goal (disallowed) v Palace showed the perfect type of situation for him to come on and try get us something from a game.

Edited by Mark_1989
  • Like 3

Like Conor was just managing himself through the game, with his injury record there really was no need to go all out.

Had plenty in the tank the pair of them but played at 50% and still bossed the game. Could have turned it on at any point, one awful goal aside we really didn't need to.

• Like 1

He has an eye for a pass and he looks classy on the ball, but I always think he lacks pace.  Maybe his ‘football mind’ can get him through so maybe a decent option from the bench, for now.

Have to commend Dean on how he has integrated Lansbury into the squad. Henri clearly tries hard in training, is a good guy to have around and Dean is keeping him involved. It could’ve turned sour around Henri v quickly but Dean has kept him in and around the squad when it is clear that he isn’t a starter. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Have to commend Dean on how he has integrated Lansbury into the squad. Henri clearly tries hard in training, is a good guy to have around and Dean is keeping him involved. It could’ve turned sour around Henri v quickly but Dean has kept him in and around the squad when it is clear that he isn’t a starter. 

Why could it have turned sour? From everything I’ve seen, Henri seems to be very well liked within the squad and looks like he enjoys being at the club 

I think Henri is like many players.....great with the ball.....Not so good without it....kinda luxury.

As we ascend through this league the players need to to be more rounded and complete.....we won't survive with limited players or players short on attributes.

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why could it have turned sour? From everything I’ve seen, Henri seems to be very well liked within the squad and looks like he enjoys being at the club 

agreed - he seems like a good guy. However, didn’t reports suggest that he had a massive promotion pay rise? Despite not really contributing to that promotion? 

I’m probably projecting my own jealousy or how I would feel in that situation! 

Â