Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

Give the bloke a chance, he's been out of the team for a couple of week's due to the way the current side is playing but it doesn't mean he won't break back into the team this season.

If anything the competition for a place in the team should bring out the best in the players who have found themselves outside of the starting 11. See Conor Hourihane for evidence of this this season.

I actually think Lansbury could do a similar, possibly better job than Whelan in a midfield two.

I think the competition for places will do him good.  He was always going to get into the team at Forrest and then when he arrived here, he automatically got a spot because we had a non-existent midfield.

He's 26 now, out of the side and way down the pecking order... the only way back is through sheer hard work and determination.  He's got to rise to the challenge of winning a 1st team place within a squad of better players.  Can only be a good thing for him and us.

I think he and Hourihane would operate the same role in th midfield two, therefore we can only play one and Hourihane is the man on form. He is a good backup for that role should ch lose form or fitness. It's nice to have a squad of good players for once, pushing each other on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think he and Hourihane would operate the same role in th midfield two, therefore we can only play one and Hourihane is the man on form. He is a good backup for that role should ch lose form or fitness. It's nice to have a squad of good players for once, pushing each other on.

I agree....too samey to play together.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

A dud is taking things a bit to far, there can be middle ground between great and crap. Hes ok when he has played, which is far to little to gain any decent appraisal really. 

You are right in saying he will have to do well to force himself into the team now which can only be a good thing for all parties.

ok I was being harsh on him, there's definitely a footballer in there and I don't dislike him. I just think that he is underperforming atm and is not good enough to break into the first team as things stand. I don't really see that as a problem since it should incite him to work harder to get into the starting 11. He'd have to either work on competing for the role Jedinak/Whelan are playing right now or his only competitor is Conor Hourihane who is currently on fire. I think he does better in a more advanced role anyhow, so it's buckle up and wait for his chance to shine or waste away the season on the bench.

I don't dislike Lansbury at all, but i see him as a bit of a luxury player.....good when you are 2-0 up.

in times where you need to dig in and grind out and mix the ugly stuff.....he is left a bit wanting.

decent player though.

Team hasn't been set up for him to play to his best. Same as it wasn't for most of our players.

Now it is set up better he would most likely play better, again just like the rest of the players. 

Good option from the bench until he gets his chance again.

Buying an attacking player and asking him to hold in a defensive set up is never going to yield positive outcomes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He is largely superfluous. Might be a good idea to get rid in Jan, he is probably earning more than he deserves based on his contractual situation when we signed him.

For years we haven't had a squad and when one of our better players got injured/suspended/lost form we had no option. Now we have a squad, where people from the bench are pushing those first teamers so they have to keep performing. Why would we sell now? I prefer to see him on the bench than Gardner 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

For years we haven't had a squad and when one of our better players got injured/suspended/lost form we had no option. Now we have a squad, where people from the bench are pushing those first teamers so they have to keep performing. Why would we sell now? I prefer to see him on the bench than Gardner 

...because if he's on as much as I think he is then we simply cannot afford to have relatively big earners sitting on the bench when the parachute payments start to halve YoY. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He is largely superfluous. Might be a good idea to get rid in Jan, he is probably earning more than he deserves based on his contractual situation when we signed him.

I'd rather have more potentially good players, even as backup, as a pose to getting rid for no pressing reason, thanks (What if Hourihane gets injured or suspended?).

Left Back spot says hello.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd rather have more potentially good players, even as backup, as a pose to getting rid for no pressing reason, thanks (What if Hourihane gets injured or suspended?).

Left Back spot says hello.

Then Onomah can fill in and do a much better job than Lansbury and in terms of your second point RDL has fulfills that function no?

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Then Onomah can fill in and do a much better job than Lansbury and in terms of your second point RDL has fulfills that function no?

You raise a good point assuming his wages are fairly high. That aside, I think he makes a good bench option but with Green and Grealish coming back...

14 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

...because if he's on as much as I think he is then we simply cannot afford to have relatively big earners sitting on the bench when the parachute payments start to halve YoY. 

.....but we're gonna win the league.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Is he injured?

Don't think so. He played in a U-23 match a couple weeks ago. Callum and Jack also played in that match and they made the bench next match. I don't think Bruce rates him that highly. 

Plus now that Jedinak is fit, and we have Onomah, it's hard to get him in the 18. 

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Farlz said:

Pleased he got his first goal for us, very well taken as well. Think it's time he starts next week. Nice haircut as well, very handsome. 

He always reminds me of the guy in the tank from the lacto-free advert. 

Great goal.

Â