Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

1 minute ago, VERB27 said:

Looked good today.

Think we have the potential for a really good midfield, with this guy being a key distributor. 

Yup - really like watching him play, great drive and a really good passer too. 

On 7/20/2017 at 17:27, praisedmambo said:

We will at times have to grind out 1-0 wins. Newcastle had to do it five times and Brighton did it six times. Grinding out 1-0 wins is a big part of any team winning anything. I can't be bothered looking up any more teams but it happens in the premiership all the time. It's the team that grinds out the 1-0 wins that wins. 

What's more Brighton won by one goal 14 times and Newcastle won by one goal 13 times. You do have to battle for points and nobody goes around winning by loads of goals week in week out. 

Having said all that, wouldn't it be nice if we managed to win by more than one goal. What a dream. 

wiseman.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I suspect playing DM is where he wants to play, because he couldn't have tried any less to get into the game today.

Or following instructions like he surely must have been last season...?

I thought he started pretty well today and looked as good as he has for us. Then when Jack got injured he moved in behind the striker which is where I thought he was supposed to play and looked dreadful. Strange one.

I think I'd be starting with him and Whelan in the middle just not sure what I'd do in front of them. That attacking midfield position is where we're really going to struggle this season I think as well as left wing as I'm not convinced green is good enough at the moment either. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I thought he started pretty well today and looked as good as he has for us. Then when Jack got injured he moved in behind the striker which is where I thought he was supposed to play and looked dreadful. Strange one.

I think I'd be starting with him and Whelan in the middle just not sure what I'd do in front of them. That attacking midfield position is where we're really going to struggle this season I think as well as left wing as I'm not convinced green is good enough at the moment either. 

Yep, he was causing Watford problems getting around the midfield and putting pressure on box to box while Grealish was ahead of him, complimented Whelan well. Was poor after the sub, but I remember at Forest he was most effective behind the ball pressurising the opposition and making late runs as opposed to coming back for it, turning towards goal and trying to make things happen like a true 10.

With the right balance in front of him he can thrive.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2017 at 17:27, praisedmambo said:

We will at times have to grind out 1-0 wins. Newcastle had to do it five times and Brighton did it six times. Grinding out 1-0 wins is a big part of any team winning anything. I can't be bothered looking up any more teams but it happens in the premiership all the time. It's the team that grinds out the 1-0 wins that wins. 

What's more Brighton won by one goal 14 times and Newcastle won by one goal 13 times. You do have to battle for points and nobody goes around winning by loads of goals week in week out. 

Having said all that, wouldn't it be nice if we managed to win by more than one goal. What a dream. 

Agree on the whole but the problem is, we score a goal a game and Newcastle score two goals a game, so there's far less margin for error on our part to come out with a victory.

The goal scoring problem doesnt look to have changed across pre season either. Taking out the games against non-league teams, we still havent scored much more than a goal a game against an average opposition of what? a really poor championship side. 

Agbonlahor on his own up top doesnt help that obviously.

Apologies going off topic here.

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Yep, he was causing Watford problems getting around the midfield and putting pressure on box to box while Grealish was ahead of him, complimented Whelan well. Was poor after the sub, but I remember at Forest he was most effective behind the ball pressurising the opposition and making late runs as opposed to coming back for it, turning towards goal and trying to make things happen like a true 10.

With the right balance in front of him he can thrive.

This, he's a traditional CM insofar as he plays well a bit deeper - if you move him up you lose certain qualities of his game and he won't be as effective. Makes a lot more sense to put Bjarnason in there in those instances. 

Â