Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

17 minutes ago, KHV said:

Guaranteed premier league football until May

*Possible Premier League Football until May.

I'd be surprised if he pushed Foster out of the number 1 spot before May. Foster is a much better keeper.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd be surprised if he pushed Foster out of the number 1 spot before May. Foster is a much better keeper.

Indeed he is. And he won't want to play Championship football, either. So it's more than possible that he's off to another Premier League club this month. And West Brom will need a replacement. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't say Foster is a much better keeper. I think Foster has been on the decline for a while now personally

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I wouldn't say Foster is a much better keeper. I think Foster has been on the decline for a while now personally

I agree he has. 

But I don't think Sam Johnstone is very good to be honest.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree he has. 

But I don't think Sam Johnstone is very good to be honest.

I would disagree, considering his age and the widely accepted fact that goalkeepers get better right through until their mid-30's.

He's not the finished article right now but then he is still young (for a GK).

I think we'd think more highly of him if he was our own academy product rather than a loanee.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I would disagree, considering his age and the widely accepted fact that goalkeepers get better right through until their mid-30's.

He's not the finished article right now but then he is still young (for a GK).

I think we'd think more highly of him if he was our own academy product rather than a loanee.

Yes but we're talking about right now. I was talking about whether Johnstone is "guaranteed Premier League Football" if he moved to West Brom.

Considering Foster is there now and they'll probably be relegated in May, it's only the next 6 months that are relevant. And right now, Foster is a much better keeper.

But Mooney raises a good point also.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes but we're talking about right now. I was talking about whether Johnstone is "guaranteed Premier League Football" if he moved to West Brom.

Considering Foster is there now and they'll probably be relegated in May, it's only the next 6 months that are relevant. And right now, Foster is a much better keeper.

But Mooney raises a good point also.

Okay, I was talking in more general terms.

I think some people have short memories, Johnstone is a good GK, pretty solid, will occasionally make an error but show me a GK that doesn't, compare that to the last few clowns we've had in that position, Gollini, Guzan etc.

It's not as though we have good backup options either, Steer is definitely no better.

Of all the positions we could strengthen this month, GK would be far down on my list of priorities.

55 minutes ago, striker said:

Really don’t rate Johnstone at all. Manchester would be doing Villa a favour by recalling and selling him to someone else.

Joint 3rd in league with clean sheets, 4th in squawkas goalkeepers ranking table for this season. 

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still don't think he will be good enough for the Premier League until he can learn to come off his line more from crosses. 

But as a shot stopper and in one on one situation he has been very good this for us this season. 

Hasn’t effect Mignolet and many other keepers in the Premier League. Also Shay Given was pretty shite on crossed. 

4 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

Hasn’t effect Mignolet and many other keepers in the Premier League. Also Shay Given was pretty shite on crossed. 

Being poor on crosses is one thing. But not moving off your line when the ball is a few yards in front of you is another.

However I have noticed he was punching more the last few games so must be something he is working on. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He has. But to some that isn't good enough. I'd be suprised if he left in Jan. Would make Xia look silly. 

Xia doesn't have a choice in the matter of course, but I presume his tweet suggests the club have spoken to United behind the scenes and they aren't interested in early termination of his loan. 

• Like 1

He's not going anywhere. Dr T would know better than anyone

Although Man U may have an option to recall, theyd be stupid not to discuss it with SJ first as although they can force him back but they cant force him to move to another team to sit on the bench, they have most likely discussed all this behind the scenes hence Dr Ts tweet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we'd think more highly of him if he wasn't so poor last season.

Yes he's been much improved this year but 4 months of half decent performances doesnt make him better than someone whos spent his career in the top flight and has numerous caps for England

The thing with keepers is that each team can only start one, and they don’t generally get chopped and changed like a striker or a right back, so once you get a starting birth at a big club fighting for promotion... you probably take it. Unless the money is better elsewhere and actually playing doesn’t bother you.

18 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I think we'd think more highly of him if he wasn't so poor last season.

Yes he's been much improved this year but 4 months of half decent performances doesnt make him better than someone whos spent his career in the top flight and has numerous caps for England

I don't think he was that bad last season, personally, though I've already erased a lot of last season from memory to be fair.

I also wasn't comparing him to anyone.

Â