Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If we are to strike any deal with Manure it surely will be coming out of next seasons budget.

Do we have a first refusal at £10m or thereabouts on him written in to the loan?, if so trigger it and give them the money in June once the loan ends.

That would be an utterly hilarious fee for a keeper like Sam Johnstone, barely worth a third of that.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That would be an utterly hilarious fee for a keeper like Sam Johnstone, barely worth a third of that.

The same hilarity as sigurdsson going to Everton for an over inflated £50m.. I agree but do not be shocked that is the price tag they will slap on his head.

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The same hilarity as sigurdsson going to Everton for an over inflated £50m.. I agree but do not be shocked that is the price tag they will slap on his head.

He will have at most one year left on his contract by then. £5-6mil with add ons for appearances for club or country etc would be a rough guess. Fairly ambivalent though as I liked Steer in his cup games so, I don't think we'd be in a poor place if he did go.

On 12/21/2017 at 09:42, AvfcRigo82 said:

To be fair he is an improvement on Bunn/Steer/Gollini.

Harsh on Steer, he's looked really good every time he's played. After the cup games earlier this year, most wanted him in the team ahead of Johnstone and some were convinced the only reason Johnstone was playing ahead of Steer was because of a stipulation in the loan agreement. 

Forget everything else that happened, this guy was fundamentally at fault for both goals today. I really hope we do not sign him. He is a really poor decision maker. We already have too many players with no intelligence!

The first he got caught in no mans land. It was really hard for the player to score from where he receives the ball. He had two defenders quickly closing. Johnstone stays on his line and they do not score.

Second was the opposite. He needed to come out and pressure the forward. On both occasions the ball travelled long distances through the air. He could see it the entire way. Poor decision making cost us dearly.

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The first he got caught in no mans land. It was really hard for the player to score from where he receives the ball. He had two defenders quickly closing. Johnstone stays on his line and they do not score.

Second was the opposite. He needed to come out and pressure the forward. On both occasions the ball travelled long distances through the air. He could see it the entire way. Poor decision making cost us dearly.

Good finishing by the striker but Johnstone will be disappointed with himself 

Johnstone plays as a kind of sweeper keeper quick off his line , it’s paid off for him (and us )many a time , including later in the match today when our plodding defence was caught out again

i suspect that’s what lead to his positioning for the first goal , it happens some times , all you can really do is admire the finish

Johnstone , worryingly , is probably still in the running for our player of the season , which tells you how inept we are with Bruce at the helm 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Johnstone plays as a kind of sweeper keeper quick off his line , it’s paid off for him (and us )many a time , including later in the match today when our plodding defence was caught out again

i suspect that’s what lead to his positioning for the first goal , it happens some times , all you can really do is admire the finish

Johnstone , worryingly , is probably still in the running for our player of the season , which tells you how inept we are with Bruce at the helm 

Problem is this. When the opposition have the ball in their half, as they did for both goals, the keeper should position himself around about the penalty spot. As the play moves forward he should adjust his position accordingly. The first goal today he has ample opportunity to see what was happening and retreat. He didn’t. He was wrong. They scored.

I really think that this had an impact on the second. Normally in this situation you would look to attack the striker, trying to rush and distract him. Our keeper stood his ground and applied no pressure. It’s a fine line but good keepers make the correct call more often than not. Johnstone is too indecisive.

• Like 1

Can't understand how anyone can blame Johnstone for the goals...

First one he came off his line to cover for the centre backs, realised he wasn't making it and backtracked. Realistically if he had stayed on his line it would have been a one on one and still a goal.

Second one was a one on one and he was unlucky. Jedinak's error all day long.

• Like 1

He didn’t really have a chance on either goal. I think if I’m being picky I’d have liked to see him keep coming out for the first goal as he stopped in no mans land but I don’t think he’d have got close enough to Donaldson to block anyway.

Anyone blaming him for the second goal is absolutely ridiculous. The ball should never have got to Donaldson but when it did he’s taken the goal very well. Low and powerful finish from a 1 on 1 - how on Earth that can be Johnstone’s fault I’ll never know! 

I think Johnstone is putting together a solid season - pretty close to player of the season for me too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Can't understand how anyone can blame Johnstone for the goals...

First one he came off his line to cover for the centre backs, realised he wasn't making it and backtracked. Realistically if he had stayed on his line it would have been a one on one and still a goal.

Second one was a one on one and he was unlucky. Jedinak's error all day long.

I don't think you can blame him for the first, although I'd have to see it again.

You can definitely blame him for the second. It looked like it went straight through him. he shouldn't be getting beaten from there with a shot like that.

• Like 1

Â