Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is looking very nervy on corners

Noticed that in the last 3 games since JT got injured , I hate seeing corners into our 6 yard box with the keeper rooted on his line , earlier in the season he seemed confident and assured with crosses 

Edited by Eastie

16 hours ago, Eastie said:

Noticed that in the last 3 games since JT got injured , I hate seeing corners into our 6 yard box with the keeper rooted on his line , earlier in the season he seemed confident and assured with crosses 

I would guess that this is a lot to do with how much JT organises the defence - hopefully a good learning curve for SJ. 

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

I would guess that this is a lot to do with how much JT organises the defence - hopefully a good learning curve for SJ. 

I do miss having a keeper like Brad Friedal and wish he could be our GK coach.

He always comanded his area whether for him catchinf to collect or to clear the lines he was always very vocal and acting as.an extra defender if you will.

We have not had a keeper like him for too long now and Hopefully SJ can only keep improving to reach somewhere near that standard too.

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He always comanded his area whether for him catchinf to collect or to clear the lines he was always very vocal and acting as.an extra defender if you will.

We have not had a keeper like him for too long now and Hopefully SJ can only keep improving to reach somewhere near that standard too.

He's young for a keeper and commanding the area is very much trainable - I'd say there's hope for him yet and a good thing to come out of JT being injured is SJ not relying on him to do that job for him. 

• Like 1

Shades of last season against Ipswich, saved by the ref when he dropped a clanger. And overall he looked iffy on crosses and corners.

On the whole thou he's been good this season so no complains from me.

Having the odd bad game (and still keeping a clean sheet) is fine by me.

On 27/11/2017 at 14:13, AvfcRigo82 said:

Friedel used to be very weak on crosses in his earlier career,  but he did indeed become very commanding. I think that is an area that keepers do often tend to improve on with experience.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

ManUre just hedging to secure a transfer fee.

IF we go up, he may not be good enough, especially if JT no longer plays in front of him.

If we do go up maybe DrT has bigger targets.

If we went up I don't think we should extend his loan, nor do I think Man Utd would loan him out to us again.

I think we would be in a better position to sign a better keeper once back in the Premier league.

If we go up I think we can do better than SJ. Yes he has improved massively from last season but I think he'll struggle in the top flight.

Tony will want some top quality players in lots of positions so we dont drop straight back down. 

• Like 1

If we do go up, and we do buy a quality keeper Id much rather have SJ in reserve than Steer. 

This contract extension is not unexpected, he will still go for 3-4 million IMO, which would make good business what ever happens.

Edited by Nigel

Â